Audio Research vs. VTL

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone compare these 2 brands? What are the differences is sonic signatures? Why did you choose one over the other?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Anyone compare these 2 brands? What are the differences is sonic signatures? Why did you choose one over the other?

I have both - ARC source and preamplifier, VTL amplifier. Two friends of mine have the VTL 7.5 .

In my opinion, the VTL's are "punchier" than the ARC, but the ARC have more finesse and ambiance. The choice will depend on system and personal taste.

Although many people do not believe in sonic synergy, I am a firm believer and choose equipment to maximize the whole system, the highest priority are the speakers , then the source and only at the end the amplification.

I listen to both LPs and CDs and want to have the best of both media. After many experiments and mistakes, I settled in the tubed CD players of ARC - for my taste and budget, they represent the best value for money in digital. I have heard more detail, better bass or more slam from other more expensive players, but for the music I enjoyed the CD7 and now the CD8 much more. I found that to maximize these CD players I needed an ARC preamplifier - I tried other top preamplifiers, but the combination of the ARCs improved the overall system - that feeling of power, not loudness, that it is impossible to tell in words, the sensation of easiness, medium purity and nuance are extraordinary.

My Soundlabs need a lot of power. ARC top tube amplifiers are very expensive and heat a lot. I could get an used pair of VTL 450 for a very nice price and they sounded excellent in my system. Later when a pair of VTL 750s showed in the used market I managed to get them.

Several HIFI distributors have listened to my system. All of them pointed this aspect : it sounds musical and you are in constant discovery - details are showing without being etched. As one of them said - you do not feel the need to change anything. Within its limitations - I heard systems with better dynamics and bass - and for the type of music I listen to (only acoustical - classic, jazz, vocal ) it is good enough for me.

Both brands have good reliability and excellent after sales service in my country. But as I learned many years ago, if you buy reliable tubes and have a stable mains supply tube equipment lasts forever, and the only intervention has been the periodical replacement of tubes that I carry myself.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have both - ARC source and preamplifier, VTL amplifier. Two friends of mine have the VTL 7.5 .

In my opinion, the VTL's are "punchier" than the ARC, but the ARC have more finesse and ambiance. The choice will depend on system and personal taste.

Although many people do not believe in sonic synergy, I am a firm believer and choose equipment to maximize the whole system, the highest priority are the speakers , then the source and only at the end the amplification.

I listen to both LPs and CDs and want to have the best of both media. After many experiments and mistakes, I settled in the tubed CD players of ARC - for my taste and budget, they represent the best value for money in digital. I have heard more detail, better bass or more slam from other more expensive players, but for the music I enjoyed the CD7 and now the CD8 much more. I found that to maximize these CD players I needed an ARC preamplifier - I tried other top preamplifiers, but the combination of the ARCs improved the overall system - that feeling of power, not loudness, that it is impossible to tell in words, the sensation of easiness, medium purity and nuance are extraordinary.

My Soundlabs need a lot of power. ARC top tube amplifiers are very expensive and heat a lot. I could get an used pair of VTL 450 for a very nice price and they sounded excellent in my system. Later when a pair of VTL 750s showed in the used market I managed to get them.

Several HIFI distributors have listened to my system. All of them pointed this aspect : it sounds musical and you are in constant discovery - details are showing without being etched. As one of them said - you do not feel the need to change anything. Within its limitations - I heard systems with better dynamics and bass - and for the type of music I listen to (only acoustical - classic, jazz, vocal ) it is good enough for me.

Both brands have good reliability and excellent after sales service in my country. But as I learned many years ago, if you buy reliable tubes and have a stable mains supply tube equipment lasts forever, and the only intervention has been the periodical replacement of tubes that I carry myself.

Thanks, Microstrip. Have you compared the 750's to the ARC 600 or 610 amps?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Agree on the "punchier" vs "finesse" statement above - both are great options for a a tube-based amplification setup.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks, Microstrip. Have you compared the 750's to the ARC 600 or 610 amps?

No. I heard the 610 the Alexandria and the Magico Mini - great sound both times. But can not compare with the 750s as the system and venue were different.

I had the Ref 110 in my system for some time, and appreciated it a lot. Unhappily my speakers ask for a more powerful amplifier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing