Audio Research vs. Conrad Johnson

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd
I am going to watch and wait on the GAT upgrade. Not easy to ship the GAT to the US and back. The performance with the Tele CCA's from Brent Jesse ( at usd 1249 a pair with 2 year warranty) is stunning.
Cheers
Pradeep

yes, i am with you on both counts...i am waiting to hear what Myles says about his upgrade...it was originally expected back this past Friday, but it seems like it may now arrive this coming week. A big week for CJ GAT owners!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The GAT with the supplied EH 6922s is a decent preamp but with a pair of NOS Telefunken CCA's is sensational.Pradeep

Agreed. Have listened to both in my ET5 and the Telefunken is clearly a much better sounding tube. Found the stock tube to be somewhat lifeless and boring.

You may wish to try the EAT. In my system, does everything the Tele does and more. Tighter, punchier bass, better resolved mids and better extension, transparency on the top.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is the classic Ford vs. Chevrolet Pickup truck argument. I was in the Ford pickup sales office with a friend. They had a poster on the wall with a picture of a Chevrolet pickup. The caption read." At night you can hear a Chevy rust.'
Legend has it that Conrad Johnson benefitted Audio Research's attempt to go solid state. A couple of government economist walked into Audio Associates in Arlington, Va. with the CJPV1 preamp. The rest is history.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
How much is the CJ GAT to Series 2 upgrade?

I'm running ARC amp and Vac pre. An excellent combination!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How much is the CJ GAT to Series 2 upgrade?

I'm running ARC amp and Vac pre. An excellent combination!

From Myles Astor who is getting his GAT upgraded:

"The update is $4000 and is quite extensive. New 7DJ8/PC88 tubes replace the original 6922s (whose quality has gone down since the GAT was released 7 (?) years ago), a couple of boards including the PS board are replaced etc. The current list price of the GAT Series 2 is $24,000. (The original was $20K.) cj is known for really only making updates when they think the changes are significant. The ART preamplifier in the 12 years I had it, went through 3 updates and all were definitely worthwhile. As was the change from ART Series 3 to GAT. I had them both here, side-by-side, and the GAT was significantly better. (I couldn't say the same about the ACT preamplifier and was glad I hung onto my ART preamplifier.)"

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
From Myles Astor who is getting his GAT upgraded:

"The update is $4000 and is quite extensive. New 7DJ8/PC88 tubes replace the original 6922s (whose quality has gone down since the GAT was released 7 (?) years ago), a couple of boards including the PS board are replaced etc. The current list price of the GAT Series 2 is $24,000. (The original was $20K.) cj is known for really only making updates when they think the changes are significant. The ART preamplifier in the 12 years I had it, went through 3 updates and all were definitely worthwhile. As was the change from ART Series 3 to GAT. I had them both here, side-by-side, and the GAT was significantly better. (I couldn't say the same about the ACT preamplifier and was glad I hung onto my ART preamplifier.)"

Interesting! $4000 is very reasonable. My only experience with PCC88 is NOS Telefunken. Are there new production PCC88s? Will 6922/e88cc work in the new circuit?

Do you know if CJ is offering an upgrade to ART amps?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting! $4000 is very reasonable. My only experience with PCC88 is NOS Telefunken. Are there new production PCC88s? Will 6922/e88cc work in the new circuit?

Do you know if CJ is offering an upgrade to ART amps?

Sadly, the same upgrade is GBP5900 or $10,000 here! I asked Myles, and he was not aware of any upgrades for ART at the moment. I am read some websites that suggest you can use a 7DJ8 in place of a 6922, but i know nothing about electronics and would not wish to try unless i had spoken with CJ. AT the moment, the preamp and the tubes i have found are great...so happy to leave until i have a chance to consider/hear the upgraded CJ GAT Series 2.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's been awhile. I think you can call CJ direct and they will answer all your questions without a sales pitch.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
Dam this makes me feel old. Sometimes in the 70s I was living in DC and wanted to sell a sony table and advertised it. I had a call on it and sold it. There were two men sitting at a table drawing up plans. I ask them about it and they told me that they were starting an Audio Company. I have heard that before I thought. It was Bill and Lou. Still talk to Bill once in a while. We are both old men now.

hifistan

Jul 14, 2016
$4000 reasonable? I just got a good used amp for considerably less than that. Your first name isn't Donald is it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing