Getting nasty cooking smell out of microwave

agc

Jan 12, 2016
Recently I decided to use my microwave to cook raw salmon. Put a piece of paper towel over it. BIG MISTAKE.

Ended up drying out the salmon and burning the paper towel a little. leaving a nasty "burnt smell".

So I tried making mint green tea (boiling water not using the microwave). Then later putting the cup of Mint Green Tea in the microwave to reheat. Thinking this scent would dominate. It just ADDED to the previous nasty burnt aroma. Making that previous aroma less dominant than it was. Changing it.

Any ideas of how to completely get rid of this aroma??

I tried cooking a "beef pie" in it. The beef pie came out for a little while. But then there was an after scent. Didn't bother me (maybe I'm ammune). But, obviously enough of a scent left my condo suite. Enough to bother my condo neighbours (those that don't have a sealed door..my door has some seal but one corner is warped so sounds/aromas still escape). One guy always sprays the hall when there is any cooking aroma. Even his own. But tonight a 3rd neighbour joined the "spray fest".

Pls help. Thanks. Like to be able to sue my microwave without it putting out an off-putting smell.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello agc and please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the WBF. What I would try first is cooking a spent sponge soaked with 50/50 water and vinegar for a period of 3 minutes on high. After the sponge completely cools, discard and wipe the surfaces.

If this does not work, add the biggest tray (like a cookie tray with shallow sides) of activated charcoal evenly spread out on said tray and let sit for a couple of days.

If either of these solutions do not work, you may want to consider a new microwave.

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Microwaves, I find (for my own self taste), don't make good cookers. ...More like warmers, unfreezing stuff, and popcorn.

Welcome to the cooking chef section! :b

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Micowaves, I find (for my own self taste), don't make good cookers. ...More like warmers, unfreezing stuff, and popcorn.

Welcome to the cooking chef section! :b

I find microwaves are awful for thawing as they partially cook whatever it is they are trying to thaw. I immerse frozen food in ice-cold water if I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer in time.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I find microwaves are awful for thawing as they partially cook whatever it is they are trying to thaw. I immerse frozen food in ice-cold water if I've forgotten to take it out of the freezer in time.
Our Bosch variable power does a respectable job in thawing meat properly but yes, it still is not perfect.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Our Bosch variable power does a respectable job in thawing meat properly but yes, it still is not perfect.
Ours does better than what they used to as well, but I just don't like it. If there is one item in our kitchen that I could easily do without, it would be our microwave.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

No fault with what you say, but I notice an oxymoron here:

Wouldn't ice-cold water be ice?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

"Ice-cold" water would be water at 0 deg C. Since ice is the solid state of water, it can be far below 0 deg C.

Water that is at 0 deg C would stay at 0 deg C until it all turns to ice, whereupon it will cool to below the freezing point. This is how we thaw frozen sashimi in order to ensure that the mouth-feel of the sashimi is well maintained. You immerse it in water at between 0 deg and 4 deg and keep it at that temperature until it all thaws. In order to keep the water cold enough, you add ice to it - hence, ice-cold water.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

See Gary's response below.
"Ice-cold" water would be water at 0 deg C. Since ice is the solid state of water, it can be far below 0 deg C.

Water that is at 0 deg C would stay at 0 deg C until it all turns to ice, whereupon it will cool to below the freezing point. This is how we thaw frozen sashimi in order to ensure that the mouth-feel of the sashimi is well maintained. You immerse it in water at between 0 deg and 4 deg and keep it at that temperature until it all thaws. In order to keep the water cold enough, you add ice to it - hence, ice-cold water.
And that's what I do. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing