System Timeline

July 2015

+ Mcintosh MC501 amplifiers and C220 preamplifier

August 2015

+ B&W 802 Diamonds in Gloss Black
+ PS Audio Directstream DAC, Transport and Power Plant P10 in Black
+ DIY Hifi Rack

September 2015

+ Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 Biwire Speaker Cables, 2 x Gold Eclipse 7 XLR Interconnects and Platinum HDMI cable
+ JL Audio Fathom F110 Subwoofer

November 2015

+ Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cable
+ Wireworld Uni-term Spade Connectors
- B&W 802 Diamonds in Gloss Black
+ Wilson Audio Sasha Series-2

Whats Next

Acoustic Treatments
Desktop system (headphone amp, dac, pre, amp and bookshelf speakers)

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello sir from North Carolina and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum! It looks like you have assembled a system that many here would consider an extremely nice sounding system. I too am a big fan of the soft dome tweeter for what it brings to the end result as to what hits your ears.

I do have a question right off the bat sir, if you don't mind me asking. Your speakers do not have (unless it's a visual perspective error on my part) much toe in. How far back is the listening position? From the picture I see, it looks as if the toe in is anywhere between 2-4 degrees.

Again, welcome to the WBF! :) Enjoy the forum.

Tom

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
Hello sir from North Carolina and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum! It looks like you have assembled a system that many here would consider an extremely nice sounding system. I too am a big fan of the soft dome tweeter for what it brings to the end result as to what hits your ears.

I do have a question right off the bat sir, if you don't mind me asking. Your speakers do not have (unless it's a visual perspective error on my part) much toe in. How far back is the listening position? From the picture I see, it looks as if the toe in is anywhere between 2-4 degrees.

Again, welcome to the WBF! :) Enjoy the forum.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. At the time of taking the photos they were 15.7" / 40cm from the rear wall, not sure on the toe-in (I have since reduced them 11.8" / 30cm from rear wall which provided a tighter bass response, space them further apart with a 1" toe in). The listening position is approx 106" / 2.7m back.

Over many listening sessions I experimented with speaker placements and found this gave the best results. The toe in was definitely important to get right, it now has a centre stage and the speakers disappear.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I bet it sounds fantastic ! I am sure you're digging the ARC pre and amp also...

The pictures are really crisp and sharp. And interesting angles w/ great lighting...what camera and lens are you using?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Very smart indeed AH, whilst I am more of an Au-Naturel kinda guy where ARC gears are concerned, In the context of your ancillary equipment and Rig they look fab.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Extremely nice system!!!!

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
What a day yesterday! After leaving much later than normal, I arrived in Sydney at 3:30 PM and proceed to pickup item 1. I then spent the next 30 minutes in traffic only covering 5 km to the next shop to pickup items 2 and 3.

Arriving only 20 minutes before closing I finalise the paperwork and loaded the items into the back of my SUV. There was less than half a centimeter leeway in the boot to fit what I have nicknamed the Arc of the Covenant (aka Indiana Jones).

Once all the items with in place I then made my way to meet my brother in law at a local jazz bar hang out for a well-deserved beer and followed on with a very nice dinner before I made the three hour return trip back home arriving at just before midnight.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing