"How to create a Negative Audio Review"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hmmm. Pretty odd suggestions in there like this one: "If the volume on your system is turned up enough there is a point at which either your loudspeakers or your room will begin to distort."

How do you get a *room* to distort?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hmmm. Pretty odd suggestions in there like this one: "If the volume on your system is turned up enough there is a point at which either your loudspeakers or your room will begin to distort."

You're reading that too literally. He means (I think) you'll hear distortions due to an improperly damped room environment.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know "Orange Sunshine" was quite the visual distortion during JH's Star Spangled banner.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

Uh, rattle the windows?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Amir,

My room is a bit on the "live" side. Lots of windows, wood floors, etc.

A volume that is too high makes the room "ring" with excessive reflections. Not a big fan of excessive room treatment and absorption. Kills the dimensionality and emotional connect with my MBL's.

That's the reason I record the volume level on each CD. Each bump on the numeric scale impacts the volume by 0.7 db on my CJ ET5.

The correct number is pretty easy to find once you get familiar with the room acoustic.

bwaslo

Apr 9, 2012
...Not a big fan of excessive room treatment and absorption. Kills the dimensionality and emotional connect with my MBL's.

If you haven't already, you might consider room treatment that isn't just the usual (and easier) absorption. Diffusors don't kill dimensionality or liveness and can make the room sound much more spacious and smoother.

I did a writeup on DIYAudio about a particularly easy and inexpensive to make 1D diffusor that can be made usually without even needing a saw at home. For those interested and willing to put in a little sweat (and can convince their SOs that something big would look great in the room..), here's a link: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/269366-making-easy-diy-depot-sound-diffuser-panels-step-step.html

Best change I ever made to a system.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think a reviewer should do their best to make constructive criticism. They should do their best to make it work. And if they can't they should discuss that. Maybe the reviewer screwed something up, doesn't have any well matching components, or maybe the designer needs to address something they need to know about.

Politics... That part sucks.

I will say I had a fellow who owns a company founder (big) review something of mine. He said he wouldn't post it publicly, but he did literally sabotage the review and probably gave it 5 minutes of time. That felt political, given his opinion on the piece of equipment before listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing