DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cool. At first I thought it was another program AES offered recently where they had a set of seminars to teach people about audio science/engineering. I went to attend and it said I had to get a letter from my professor to attest that I am a Masters/PhD (?) student so I couldn't :). It was a fantastic free program where AES was paying all expenses including travel.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
When I graduated with my BS degrees I applied to several audio companies. Most didn't reply, couple sent rejections saying they didn't hire new grads, and one engineer actually wrote a nice note saying they wouldn't hire new grads but explaining what the job was like, what to do to be ready to apply later, and so forth.

I got halfway through PhD coursework before life intervened. I could probably get my professor to vouch for me (we remain friends, sometimes coworkers, and sometimes fellow musicians since he plays trombone).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Are you saying you want to attend? If so, here is the information. I was mistaken as it was not AES but ASA (Acoustic Society of America): http://acousticalsociety.org/conten..._i=1ZJV,3W8I7,DXR8ZQ,E1J0O,1#overlay-context=

"Overview

The Acoustical Society of America is once again sponsoring an exciting event, ASA School 2016, where graduate students and early career acousticians in all areas of acoustics can learn about and discuss a wide variety of topics related to the interdisciplinary acoustical theme Living in the Acoustic Environment. ASA School 2016 will provide opportunities for meeting faculty and fellow students, discussing research topics, developing collaborations and professional relationships within acoustics, and mentoring.

ASA School 2016 is a two-day course consisting of lectures by prominent acousticians, roundtables, demonstrations, and discussion groups to expand on the lecture materials and to foster communication across disciplines and technical areas of acoustics. Social events, including a Friday evening welcome reception and Saturday evening dinner, are also scheduled to provide an informal setting for further discussions and social exchange."

BTW, if you need a reference to apply for a job at audio companies, please reach out to me. I am also happy to contact Harman to find out if they have any openings. You have the right experience to work at these companies. No doubt about it.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Want to, yes!, have time and ability, no, scholarship or no, even if my ethics and morals (pesky things) would allow me to ask my friend to con them.

Thanks for the offer but my career took a different path, and I like where I live, so a job change is probably not in my immediate future... But who knows what the future holds; my life has been turned upside down a few times in the past few years!

I do wish I remembered those grad acoustics courses better...

Thanks for posting the info, though, be nice if some enterprising students took advantage!

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Don, take it!

You could infiltrate the Harman design group and help bring a proper panel speaker to their lineup.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing