Schick 14 - new idler wheel tt from Thomas Schick.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just come across this one, and it seems like Thomas has put a lot of thought into it. Marrying the unambiguous benefits of the legendary idler drive Garrards 301/401/Lencos in terms of high torque, w.modern day tech/engineering/materials, to get around the negatives of the day, and maybe even get to a point where the 14 may outperform our old favourites.
Sooo...he has a lab grade motor providing tons of torque, but apparently w/vanishingly low noise so that rumble is nr non existent.
An outsize (14") lightish cast Al platter, to provide max flywheel effect, light in construction, so that the torquey motor really drives on the lp past all that stylus drag, whilst minimising momentum speed up.
Plinth material of a special material, which apparently dampens vibrations but doesn't deaden the rig, apparently impervious to atmospheric changes like temp and humudity.
He seems also to have done away w/a whole lot of springs etc, so streamlining the construction/suspension etc.
All at a tentative price of Euros 15k.

For my part, idler makes a lot of sense. I cannot see how high torque/driven platter can be anything but an advantage. Admittedly, the rumble issue has been a downer, but if Thomas has incorporated a motor that really has gobs of drive but minimal noise, and a plinth which really deals w/vibrations (maybe a la Merrill elastomer tech tt), he could really be on to a winner.

Esp at a true real world price.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thomas' TT can be demoed in the Western Electric room at Munich. On every track it sounds much better than the Scarlatti - they alternate tracks between CDs and Vinyl.

His tonearm is supposed to be a giant killer, and used price is around 750 GBP.

The WE 16A that I heard, the owner of that was going to get one for himself as well. Don't know if he did

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Marc - I think that Schick looks like quite a lot of money for such an agricultural looking device. It certainly sounded great in Munich but then quite honestly a $20 DVD player would sound sweet through those silbatone amps and western electric cinema speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lenco heaven forum thinks highly of Schick and his tonearm. I agree it does not look good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing