Thoughts on the Blu Ray movie.."Dune"

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The French AVANTI release is considered to be slightly better than the U.S. UNIVERSAL release, although the difference in price (IMO) doesn't warrent the extra expenditure. Also, the PAL Extra Features can't be viewed/played on Region A players.

John

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Is this the one that starred Kyle McLaughlin and Sting? I remember seeing it, but that it wasn't entirely memorable. It was pretty much universally panned by the critic's I believe (not that it matters that much).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Is this the one that starred Kyle McLaughlin and Sting? I remember seeing it, but that it wasn't entirely memorable. It was pretty much universally panned by the critic's I believe (not that it matters that much).

yes it was

John

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Watched the BD last night.. NOT as impressive as I was hoping for. It really seems that it is not perhaps the greatest idea to re-fresh non-Hi-Def movies onto BD. IMHO, every BD I have viewed that was filmed prior to Hi-Def has not been worth the effort/price once transferred to BD. Like audio, if the information wasn't there in the first place, you cannot get it later. 'Dune' with Kyle McLaughlin and Sting isn't entirely memorable, BUT it is the only version I am aware of that is on BD. Pity that the movie wasn't filmed in Hi-Def to begin with and now seems a little dated.:(

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Watched the BD last night.. NOT as impressive as I was hoping for. It really seems that it is not perhaps the greatest idea to re-fresh non-Hi-Def movies onto BD. IMHO, every BD I have viewed that was filmed prior to Hi-Def has not been worth the effort/price once transferred to BD. Like audio, if the information wasn't there in the first place, you cannot get it later. 'Dune' with Kyle McLaughlin and Sting isn't entirely memorable, BUT it is the only version I am aware of that is on BD. Pity that the movie wasn't filmed in Hi-Def to begin with and now seems a little dated.:(

You do realise that most movies (especially of that era) were shot on film, which is a much higher definition than even Blu-ray? If the movie looks bad, blame the transfer or the film stock, not the resolution of the film per se...

Back on topic, I much prefered the mini series version of Dune than this movie. The mini series was much closer to the original book. I mean, rain on Arrakis?!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Both translations from the book were poor ones IMHO. Then again I'm a Frank Herbert fan. De Laurentis set design looked ripped off from his Flash Gordon flop, the mini-series much better. The knife fighting choreography on both were likewise lame. To think the Mini-Series could have benefitted from the proliferation of knife arts is so sad.

Most disappointing of all was the way the weirding way was dealt with in both. It's the equivalent of Star War's "The Force" which was so well fleshed out by Lucas.

The casting of the movie was pretty good, the mini-series had much to be desired especially that of Paul and Duncan Idaho.

I wish someone like Peter Jackson could step up to the plate and finally do the book justice.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Rich, That's an interesting comment. Have you seen a BD that was shot on film that has the definition of a BD that was shot in Hi-Def. I have not, although I do agree with you that film should be superior from this perspective. Perhaps there is something else involved besides the transfer or the film stock?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It sounds to me like it could be an issue of "grain". Depending on who was involved with the transfer, and whether or not the director had any input, they may have decided to minimize the DNR and keeping more grain to stay true to the film. A film like AVATAR will not have grain, which is why the picture gives you more definition, sharpness if you will. A very good 4K film transfer to Blu-ray is Baraka.

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think I may be one of the three people who liked this movie. Yeah, I'm a Herbert fan, but I don't expect movies to be true to the books and I found Dune enjoyable and pretty cool to look at. It confirmed that Sting should keep the day job, but other than that, a fun flick.

Film is higher resolution than digital? Here we go again....

Tim

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
35mm film has better resolution than 1080p (Blu-ray) video (2 megapixels).

And this by a wide margin..

Now about Dune the movie itself, I tgot interested in this thread because I thought it was discussing about an unknown (to me) Dune movie ... If it'sthe one with Kyle Mac and Sting (?) ... It was IMHO as bad as a movie has any right to be...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
35mm film has better resolution than 1080p (Blu-ray) video (2 megapixels).

Perhaps. But 35mm film has grain. Compared to digital video, it's apparent resolution is much lower than digital video. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I actually kind of like it.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Perhaps. But 35mm film has grain. Compared to digital video, it's apparent resolution is much lower than digital video.
If I added noise to audio, you wouldn't say its frequency response is reduced. Would you? Same is here. Up to certain point, resolution is resolution. The argument for noise kicks in around 6 megapixels where subjectively, a digital image will match 35 mm in fidelity but we are way below that with 1080p video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing