Hi rez label - Sound Liaison - PCM vs DSD (or up sampling via dCS)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have one download from this label. Impromptu. It's OUTSTANDING. Direct to DSD or PCM. I have the DSD64 version. Everything else in their catalog seems to be recorded to PCM. Given I have a dCS Vivaldi Upsampler....this shouldn't be a issue. It's just the direct to DSD is so good. Anyone try the other recordings?

http://www.soundliaison.com/index.php

Curious...

PS, everything is on sale for 10 euro's through Jan 12th.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
PS, I just bought 3 more recordings @10 euro's each...listening to Road to Memphis right now. 24/88. Very nice...

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I bought Carmen Gomes "Little Blue " and Witmer Trio "En Azul " , both in wav pcm in promotion.
Have already their several albums, outstanding SQ imo.
According to the website info "Impromptu" is recorded to dsd with Tascam 3000, I think Fone recordings with valve Neumann mics and DCS ADC are a bit better.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I bought Carmen Gomes "Little Blue " and Witmer Trio "En Azul " , both in wav pcm in promotion.
Have already their several albums, outstanding SQ imo.
According to the website info "Impromptu" is recorded to dsd with Tascam 3000, I think Fone recordings with valve Neumann mics and DCS ADC are a bit better.

I also like the Fone recordings. Especially the ones that say "natural sound recording" on the covers...

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I also purchase about 7 albums. They all sound great! Only issue I find is the download is SO slow. Took over 2 hours to download 1 album. My bandwidth is 150Gb up/down with FIOS.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This sounds interesting;
SOUND LIAISON GOES LIVE IN THE STUDIO, WITH 4 CONCERTS BEING RECORDED IN DXD MULTITRACK AND DIRECT TO 2 TRACK ANALOG TAPE.
In collabration with the MCO (Dutch Music Broadcasting Association) we have begun a new series of recording musicians live in the studio in front of a studio audience. The theme for the four concerts for this season is my “most influential album’’. We have asked some of our favorite artist to reinterpret one of the albums that was influential in their becoming musicians.
Trumpeter Ruud Breuls chose an old LP of Louis Armstrong’s greatest hits, Carmen Gomes decided on her father's old favorite “Harry Belafonte Sings the Blues, Paul Berner went for the Beatles “Rubber Soul” and Tony Overwater chose Jim Hall & Ron Carter, which he will record together with guitarist extraordinaire Maarten van der Grinten. The recordings will be recorded direct to a two track Studer tape recorder and in 352.8 DXD multitrack.

As of this writing the first two concerts have taken place. We can report that DXD sounds absolutely fantastic. Ruud Breuls who is, due to his many years with the Metropole Orchestra and the Westdeutsche Rundfunk Big Band, perhaps Europe’s most recorded trumpet player, was absolutely stunned when he heard the DXD playback of ”When it’s Sleepy time Down South”. He used words as “real” and “it sounds like me” when trying to describe the sound.
The direct to tape recording of Carmen Gomes surpassed all our expectations, the combination of Carmen Gomes’ voice and the Studer 2 track tape machine was a match made in heaven.
Carmen who is a big fan of the sound of the classic ‘50 recordings was deeply moved by the result; “It’s the real deal’’ was her comment.
Subjectively analogue tape and DXD feels related in sound quality. They both sound so very natural. But technically there is of course a great difference; DXD; being purely digital with all the benefits of being able to edit the sound, correct mistakes and so forth in post production; while with the Direct to Tape; the recording is following a pure analog signal path with no possibility of editing, no correction, the result being what it is.

We hope to make the first 2 editions of the series available before x-mas.
http://www.soundliaison.com/blog

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very very interesting. Looking forward to these recordings ! I wonder if the DXD or the digital off tape will be better ? Guess I'll buy both if they don't have a few test tracks..

baocrazy

Nov 4, 2015
I also bought several albums from Soundliaison. Very nice.
In the same category, I would recommend this label: http://aos-music.com.
I bought two albums. Sound quality is amazing. They only propose 24/96 wav files.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
The new one; Carmen Gomes sings the Blues, is recorded in DXD and is available in all kinds of smaller formats.
I think I will buy the original DXD pcm and the 96 flac .

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just rec'd the email that this recording is available. I'll purchase & download the dxd file today ! This label has been amongst the very best in my library....

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
which format sounds best for this download??
Frans de Rond of Sound Liaison mastered this recording directly in DXD and clearly states that it is best, with all other formats being conversions. Not all DACs support DXD though and with the file being almost 6GB in size he offers other formats including (losslessly) compressed FLAC PCM. DSD conversions are also offered for those who may prefer it with their DAC of choice. Choice is good to have, but if you have the drive space available and a compatible DAC I'd definitely suggest the original DXD files.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I agree. My DAC doesn't (yet) support DXD but is easily upgradable in the event the manufacturer decides to. I have been in contact with Frans and he is mulling over having 24/176.4 and 24/88.2 files available as the math is easier than 24/192 and 24/96 when the DXD files are 352.8 like this recording. Will get around to listening to the 24/192 tonight.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Frans de Rond of Sound Liaison mastered this recording directly in DXD and clearly states that it is best, with all other formats being conversions. Not all DACs support DXD though and with the file being almost 6GB in size he offers other formats including (losslessly) compressed FLAC PCM. DSD conversions are also offered for those who may prefer it with their DAC of choice. Choice is good to have, but if you have the drive space available and a compatible DAC I'd definitely suggest the original DXD files.
A very few recordings in DXD which I have are the best as far as SQ is concerned.
Will download this SL recording right now , the only inconvenience is the download time, they are huge.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues in 176 better math?

I agree. My DAC doesn't (yet) support DXD but is easily upgradable in the event the manufacturer decides to. I have been in contact with Frans and he is mulling over having 24/176.4 and 24/88.2 files available as the math is easier than 24/192 and 24/96 when the DXD files are 352.8 like this recording. Will get around to listening to the 24/192 tonight.

But it is available in 176......? Does the math really matter?

Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues. http://www.soundliaison.com/studio-showcase-series/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
He offered the 176.4 in response to my email and provided it to me gratis as I already purchased the 192. I can't say that I have been able to discern a difference in sound. Both sound superb.

APP

Oct 1, 2014

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing