Do we NEED subwoofers with full-range speakers, and how many?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
There's been a lot of discussion revolving around the use of subwoofers to augment the bass of "full-range" speakers. What are your thoughts/feelings about using subwoofers to supplement the bass of your main speakers, and how many subwoofers are necessary to assure good results?

Lee

I think the short answer is "YES" and with that one word, we buy ourselves a world of hurt, with unknown number of unknowns, to get them to properly mix with the rest of our gear :D.

I think the short answer is "YES" and with that one word, we buy ourselves a world of hurt, with unknown number of unknowns, to get them to properly mix with the rest of our gear :D.

+1 word for word

All I can add is that when finally done right, all the hurt is worth it.

You can never have enough subwoofers - not for more bass, but for better bass. I use twenty-four subwoofers in my largest system - twelve 12-in woofers facing fowards, twelve more facing back :)

Me 'n G1..jpg

No, that's not me Photoshopped into the picture - the speakers are 7-ft tall.

I guess I am going to have to get that third subwoofer, after all. Where to put it, though, WAF is going to be a challenge. Those Genesis speakers are awesome.

I've always used subs. In the current situation, its main contribution is to smooth out a hump at 50Hz (very effective, -10dB attenuation; net effect +4dB @50Hz), and its secondary to extend response down to 20Hz. However, to achieve this blending, the REL sub has to run a little higher; therefore, I am getting a second Stadium III to play both much lower and avoid any chuffing at ~23Hz and below. Anyone selling theirs? Must be cherry.

I suppose one man's hurt is another's capability, Amir. The way I see it, deep bass is always going to face room/mains integration issues, and a lot of tweaking and experimenting may be required to find the right position, crossover point, volume level, etc. Full-range speakers are, of course, simpler. You place them for imaging the rest of the frequency range and simply get the bass you get. No options. That can be a world of hurt. But that hurt exists, often becomes much worse, when subs are added. The placement, crossover, volume of the passive "subs" built into your full-range speakers doesn't change when you add an active, separate sub to the mix. And getting the sub out of the way is a huge challenge. There's a big part of the hurt. I suspect it is the reason why I seem to have so much more success integrating subs into a system and a room, and getting more precise bass and a better balance when the mains are not full-range, or even close to full range. I get easier/better sub integration, and often much better results, with mid-sized two-ways that are not even reaching for deep bass. Of course YMMV, and of course there are trade-offs in this approach as well; without the multiple midrange drivers of most big floor-standing speakers, this approach will not deliver the spls needed for very high volume in very large rooms. Life is compromise.

Tim

gary,

why don't you send me a pair of those for a couple years so i can experiment with the bass adjustments? I promise to write a post here describing the bass....

Lee

:d ...

+ 1 ...

I've tried turning my subs on and dialing them in... I don't see any benefit. I need the subs when I do surround projects though.

In most rooms, the ideal location for the midrange and tweeter output (in order to optimize imaging, depth, etc) will not be the same location for flattest bass frequency response (there are a few exceptions to this). So for those rooms, a sub can be helpful, but as has already been noted, integration can be tricky. But products like the TacT 2.2XP can come to the rescue.

I had made previous attempts at integrating subs with full range speakers and in all cases, the full range speakers always sounded better by themselves. No matter what the technology, it never worked. But now, for me, in my room and with my speakers, the TacT solved the problem (I did not have such a product in my last attempt).

While I no longer have full range speakers, the applicability of the integration approach still works.

Since I read about the Harman Kardon papers on multiple subwoofers, I have wanted to try this… I had full range speakers but the bass while potent could be better.. I always had in mind the huge bass the Genesis were capable of and I was nowhere that. I also measured my bass output and there were more peaks and valleys than any mountain chains one is likely to see… Using lot of Tube traps in the room helped a bit, especially in reducing the magnitude of these irregularities but they remain there so , I lived with it since my system did work extremely well … until I stumbled upon Earl Geddes multi-sub approach… Tried and to this day , I have never heard better bass in my room or anybody’s room .. I repeat I was essentially flat from 14 to 150 Hz with Sunfire and Paradigm subs... Yes, the Sunfire in the corner allowed me 14 Hz at a little over 100 dB, most satisfying I must tell you

The usual left and right configuration, i-e subs flanking main speakers may work, I have not tested it. You are limiting your options severely by doing that since all that you would be doing is to try to push more bass from your mains positions which we remember wasn’t the best for bass. So we have to think asymmetry. Earl Geddes has come with an interesting and simple positioning method. I hope Dr Geddes is reading this and his corrections/comments are most welcome. I hasten to say that while is method is similar to the Welti , Duvandier studies, they are not identical as the placement of subs in Geddes's recommendation does not follow the symmetrical arrangement the Harman Study is based on:

There is a degree of commitment in this. If one thinks that they will simply drop a third sub and voila! Great bass, one would be severely mistaken... If one is an audiophile with any experience one already knows, there is no free lunch in this hobby.
You need to have some measurements tools. Yes, you will have to measure and the technique is somewhat unusual but it does work. Attempting to do this only by ears is the surest way to mess everything up.

First use at least 3 subs. For experimentation purposes, the subs don’t even have to be identical… They must be good , decent subs, at very least. Whether your mains are full or limited range , use three subs. Make sure all the subs are in the front (with respect to your listening position) volume of your room.

You need subs with infinitely adjustable Level, Crossover and phase controls. The phase is particularly important, I am not sure and simple switch will do…

Place One sub in one corner behind the front speakers. Say left or right corner. It must one of the corners behind the speakers
Place the second sub halfway (more or less) between your listening position and the plane of the front speakers.
Place the third subs along the opposite wall, if possible off the floor, should still be in the first half plane that is in front of you, not behind.

This person to whom I am indebted for such vast improvement in my former system has because I simply read his explanations and was able to improve my system substantially. His explanations are clear and concise. He also post some graphs.

Go HERE.

I sincerely would like Earl Geddes to post on this thread… What I have attempted to describe in this post are his ideas. The results for were spectacular… Not only in the bass , the system sounded much better with a cleaner more articulate midrange and a seemingly more linear dynamic scale … and the bass people is to die for … My next move will be to marry this method with an Infinite baffle.. So far not possible, I am not sure the tenants would be pleased .. :)

In most rooms, the ideal location for the midrange and tweeter output (in order to optimize imaging, depth, etc) will not be the same location for flattest bass frequency response (there are a few exceptions to this). So for those rooms, a sub can be helpful, but as has already been noted, integration can be tricky. But products like the TacT 2.2XP can come to the rescue.

I had made previous attempts at integrating subs with full range speakers and in all cases, the full range speakers always sounded better by themselves. No matter what the technology, it never worked. But now, for me, in my room and with my speakers, the TacT solved the problem (I did not have such a product in my last attempt).

While I no longer have full range speakers, the applicability of the integration approach still works.

Audioguy

A third sub might help immensely in dealing with the nulls you have been fighting with...

Most of the problems with integrating subs with full range loudspeakers revolve around the time domain issue. Where the speakers are to be placed, and where the subs need to be can be vastly different. The big problem comes when moving the sub, then the phase needs to be corrected. That is where solutions like TacT, DEQX, etc. come in..... but you still need the ear to be the final arbiter.

How you link the sub to your system is also an issue - do you drive the sub with a preamp output and the main speakers with a power amp output? If so, since the group delay of the power amp driving the main speakers is unknown, you have different problems from if you drive the subwoofer with the same power amp output that you drive the main speakers with.

Even if you do that, do you drive with a Y-connector at the power amp output, or daisy chained from the main loudspeaker. If you use one of those cables with network termination, then the Y-connection is unlikely to be the better solution.

Next, what cable do you use from the speaker/power amp output to the input binding posts of your subwoofer. You have to remember that the input of a powered subwoofer is a high-impedance input. A speaker cable is unlikely to be the best choice here.

All those issues need to be taken into account even if your subwoofer has all the possible and necessary controls (phase, gain, high-pass, low-pass, Q), you have to remember that the phase control can only delay the phase, it cannot advance the phase. Unless it has a good digital parametric crossover, any change in crossover frequency or Q changes the phase at the crossover point.

Like amir says, the short answer is YES, but we buy ourselves a lot of hurt.

Since I read about the Harman Kardon papers on multiple subwoofers, I have wanted to try this… I had full range speakers but the bass while potent could be better.. I always had in mind the huge bass the Genesis were capable of and I was nowhere that. I also measured my bass output and there more peak and valleys than any mountain chains one is likely to see… Using lot of Tube traps in the room help a bit, especially in reducing the magnitude of these irregularities but they remain there so , I lived with it since my system did work extremely well … until I stumble upon Earl Geddes multi-sub approach… Tired it and to this day , I have never heard better bass in my room or anybody’s room or anybody’s .. I repeat I was essentially flat from 14 to 150 Hz with Sunfire and Paradigm subs... Yes, the Sunfire in the corner allowed me 14 Hz at a little over 100 dB, most satisfying I must tell you

The usual left and right configuration, i-e subs flanking main speakers may work, I have not tested it. You are limiting your options severely by doing that since all that you would be doing is to try to push more bas from your mains positions which we remember wasn’t the best for bass. So we have to think asymmetry. Earl Geddes has come with an interesting and simple positioning method. I hope Dr Geddes is reading this and his corrections/comments are most welcome. I hasten to say that while is method is similar to the Yeti , Duvandier studies, they are not identical as the placement of subs in Geddes's recommendation does not follow the symmetrical arrangement the Harman Study is based on:

There is a degree of commitment in this. If one thinks that they will simply drop a third sub and voila! Great bass, one would be severely mistaken... If one is an audiophile with any experience one already knows, there is no free lunch in this hobby.
You need to have some measurements tools. Yes, you will have to measure and the technique is somewhat unusual but it does work. Attempting to do this only by ears is the surest way to mess everything up.

First use at least 3 subs. For experimentation purposes, the subs don’t even have to be identical… They must be good , decent subs, at very least. Whether your mains are full or limited range , use three subs. Make sure all the subs are in the front (with respect to your listening position) volume of your room.

You need subs with infinitely adjustable Level, Crossover and phase controls. The phase is particularly important, I am not sure and simple switch will do…

Place One sub in one corner behind the front speakers. Say left or right corner. It must one of the corners behind the speakers
Place the second sub halfway (more or less) between your listening position and the plane of the front speakers.
Place the third subs along the opposite wall, if possible off the floor, should still be in the first half plane that is in front of you, not behind.

This person to whom I am indebted for such vast improvement in my former system has because I simply read his explanations and was able to improve my system substantially. His explanations are clear and concise. He also post some graphs.

Go HERE.

I sincerely would like Earl Geddes to post on this thread… What I have attempted to describe in this post are his ideas. The results for were spectacular… Not only in the bass , the system sounded much better with a cleaner more articulate midrange and a seemingly more linear dynamic scale … and the bass people is to die for … My next move will be to marry this method with an Infinite baffle.. So far not possible, I am not sure the tenants would be pleased .. :)

I have always wondered about the audibility of the main 'con' with this approach which is that the step response is destroyed if the subs are not appropriate time delayed since there are multiple sources located at different distances from the listening position.

Of course what I think is happening is that the pros of this approach far outweigh the cons from a subjective sound quality perspective.

On the point of do we need subs with a full range system I would say generally yes. My speakers (Linkwitz Orions) are full range, are -3dB at 30Hz and follow a 6dB per octave fall off below that. A single JL Audio sub crossed at 30Hz makes an audible difference in perceived bass weight and has a substantial impact to the emotional aspect of the music.

For two channel, I don't feel a need for additional subwoofers with my current speakers (Vandersteen 5). They already have built-in subwoofers with enough adjustments to work well in my room.

(But I'm going to look into some of the articles cited as there's always room for improvement.)

Last edited:

Go HERE.

Thanks for the link - that is indeed useful.

Bass is the foundation of music - we always think of the music distributed as bass, midrange, high frequencies, but when you look at the waveform of music, all the frequencies are transposed , but you see how the mids and highs are overlaid on the fundamental bass waveform. Hence, improving the bass will also nett improvements in the midrange.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing