REL sub with Spectral

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
Hello from the UK -

I'll introduce myself in the appropriate section soon, but just wanted some advice from those who may have done this, if I may...

Long time user of Spectral amps and very, very happy with them.

Running 30sv with 400s through Rockport Aviors. Cabling is all MIT Oracles.

Pondering the idea of trying a REL G1 in the system on very low levels. May not be necessary, but I'd be interested in trying one. Now, the REL high level connectivity is straightforward. Spectrals require MIT cabling, so my question is this:

Rather than link sub cables to amp terminals as they suggest, can I come off the speaker terminals instead?; that way, the signal is through the MIT speaker cables before it sees the sub, presuming more safety for the power amps...

And I am assuming they'll be happy with the extra load...?

many thanks in advance,
Rob

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome.

There is no issue hooking up the REL directly to the amp terminals, that's a "blessed" solution actually, because of the very high impedance of the REL input. But if you want to hook up to the speakers that's fine too, you'll just have two long wires to one (+/-) and one to the other (+) - it'll just look awkward.

Would love to hear about your system and sound!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Rob's turntable is the best set up I have heard in my short TT audition history. That and jvs's kronos. But Rob uses a koetsu blue lace on his SPJ alba and fma 122 that has been giving me nightmares as I am worried about having to go down the TT route

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
Ack - Hi - and thanks for the reply -

Surprised by your answer actually, not that I doubt you're right, but because I always understood these amps need to see the MIT network boxes etc. But all good - I will try direct to the amps - that will be easier...

My history with Spectral started with 30sl/150II in 2001, then to 360 series I, then last year went a bit crazy with an opportunity to acquire a pair of demo 400s, on the back of which I went with the 30sv. Front end solely vinyl really, (though I do have have an Acousticplan Vadi - great; one that I can listen to) - SPJ Alba, Lyla, Koetsu Blue Lace platinum, FM Acoustics 122II phono. Front end through Accuphase PS1200 & Running Springs Dmitri, AC2s. Amps through Dmitri with HZ cords, Rockport Aviors ending it up.

All sounds the best I've had so far to me - undoubtedly my room is a problem, but working on that one...!

cheers

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great system it sounds like, and I am sure I would love your phono stage! Before hooking my REL the way I described it, I made sure I had "permission", if you know what I mean; and because of the high REL impedance, permission was given - LOL. The alternative, which I may explore myself, is to actually hook up the REL to the preamp... some day... I rarely use my sub nowadays.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just be very careful connecting REL subs to your amp speaker connections. I forget the reason but you cannot do this with some amps McItnosh among them. You connect to the positive terminal but you "must" connect the negative to a chassis ground not the (-) speaker terminal. I owned the REL G1's at one point and really enjoyed it.

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
thanks, Still-One -

I think the REL site says connect to +ve & -ve on the amps for the G1, besides which the Spectrals have no chassis ground terminal. I have to say with these, and the FM phono, you can turn the volume right up with input selected but no disc playing, and there is no noise, hum, or anything - absolutely brilliant. I do have 2x dedicated 6mm mains rings though...

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No hiss! Phono Nirvana.. Like I said, I am sure I would love your phono!

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
thanks, Still-One -

I think the REL site says connect to +ve & -ve on the amps for the G1, besides which the Spectrals have no chassis ground terminal. I have to say with these, and the FM phono, you can turn the volume right up with input selected but no disc playing, and there is no noise, hum, or anything - absolutely brilliant. I do have 2x dedicated 6mm mains rings though...

Hi Rob,

Looks like you have a great system there. I have heard the 400s and they sound spectacular. As for me, I drive my Aviors through burmester 911mk3 monos and the addition of a pair of REL G1s pushed up the performance a few notches. As others have already mentioned, the high level SpeakOn works best. its kind of unique to the RELs where they take the signal directly from the amps. In my case, I have left the negative (blue) unconnected......my amps don't have a chassis ground either. It works fine without any hum or noise.
I would strongly suggest that you go for a pair of subs....

Cheers

Sujay

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Rob and please allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the What's Best Forum! I will echo others in saying that it looks like you have assembled a very nice system. With Spectral gear, I will pass on advice and refer you to those who are actually familiar with that gear. Again, welcome to the forum sir!

:)

Tom

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Just be very careful connecting REL subs to your amp speaker connections. I forget the reason but you cannot do this with some amps McItnosh among them. You connect to the positive terminal but you "must" connect the negative to a chassis ground not the (-) speaker terminal. I owned the REL G1's at one point and really enjoyed it.

Jim, that's very good advice. The REL subs are all utilizing balanced designs. Therefore, they require a proper ground at the amp connection.
If your amp is balanced, there is a great chance that connecting to the speaker terminals will in fact create a short! ( Don't ask me how I know this..:( )
The best way to connect the REL is to the amp terminals and to a proper chassis ground connection at the amp, like what Pass labs provides on their amps. With Spectral gear, I would contact either the Spectral factory or the REL rep/dealer in your country before connecting the sub.
Better safe than sorry.

P.S. I just had my amp extensively modified and Jeff Rowland graciously added a grounding connection for this very reason to my amp chassis.

robbyd

Dec 23, 2015
uk south-east
Thanks for all the advice and welcomes guys - appreciated. I'll probably try to contact Spectral to be safe, though from past experience they can be somewhat elusive! Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing