New Martin Logan hybrid announced at CES

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Comment from a Neolith Owner, who owns a multichannel system with Neoliths for the front two, CLXs for the side two, prodigys for the rear, 4 Velodyne subs for the front and the sides, and 2 Descent i subs for the rear.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...ut-of-2016-CES&p=176081&viewfull=1#post176081

"While Neoliths these are not, at $25,000 they sound great. For sure most ML fans will really enjoy them. I think they learned a lot from the neolith development. The bass goes down to 22 Hz and it shows. I plan an extended listening period tomorrow. With the balanced forward bass you can get them closer to the wall I am strongly considering purchasing a pair to replace my Prodigys in my multi-channel which I will talk about later. When you get a chance to listen to these pick some bass material that will challenge these and pay attention to how well the bass integragrates with the panels. Very nice. I'm also ok on the looks. I think the would be really fine in the Ferrari red like that available in the Neoliths. At this point I'm sticking to my original thumbs up opinion but I'm not done investigating yet. "
Good grief. These are $25K??? I thought they were $5K or something.

On bass, I had an imaging problem with them. I could not get over the bass appearing to come out the bottom of the box with the rest coming out a few feet higher. It may have been an optical bias but if you are looking at them like you would normally do, it sounds like two loudspeakers at different heights. Or so it sounded to this ML hater.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Good grief. These are $25K??? I thought they were $5K or something.

On bass, I had an imaging problem with them. I could not get over the bass appearing to come out the bottom of the box with the rest coming out a few feet higher. It may have been an optical bias but if you are looking at them like you would normally do, it sounds like two loudspeakers at different heights. Or so it sounded to this ML hater.
I heard them at Munich two years ago, they sounded ok, I don't remember them playing any music with ( lower) bass in ,so difficult to judge, I wouldn't say it was unpleasant just' meh'.
Keith.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Do ML panels sound the same off the back as they do in front? If not, if their FR is as different off the back of the panel as it is off axis, I can't imagine them taking full advantage of the dipole design with good results. I'd think that damping behind the panels would be essential.

Tim

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Picture of the crossover

Looks like the same inexpensive Black/grey Solen caps and NTE resistors, not sure about the coils; and I suspect that part of the crossover is for the panel. Easily modifiable (the board appears easily removable), but not good for the $25K asking price.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
ack...Just finished reading your other post where you mention modifying your own crossovers, I would be most interested in a little more detail, perhaps on your own thread.
For my part I have upgraded and on occasion simplified the crossover circuits on pretty much every panel speaker that I have run, from Quad 63's to ML CLS IIz's.
As soon as the clock runs out on my current warranty its solder iron time!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Picture of the crossover

Looks like the same inexpensive Black/grey Solen caps and NTE resistors, not sure about the coils; and I suspect that part of the crossover is for the panel. Easily modifiable (the board appears easily removable), but not good for the $25K asking price.
I took a bunch of pictures and will post later. Here is a close up one:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
@Harlequin: OK I updated my thread...

@Amir: Yup, Solens again; still can't see the markings on the resistors, but they do look like NTE, though others do make similar products with similar heatsinks

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
That crossover is a joke for a $25k speaker. No wait... the entire speaker is a joke for $25k. I'm pretty sure there are a large assortment of speakers at 1/4 the price that are better and cost more to manufacture.

I mean seriously, my Subaru WRX was just a bit more than that pair of speakers. Ridiculous...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
@Amir: Yup, Solens again; still can't see the markings on the resistors, but they do look like NTE, though others do make similar products with similar heatsinks
Courtesy of 50 megapixels, we can zoom in CSI style. :D

They are wirewound TE Connectivity resistors.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK, they are TE. I would still replace them with Mundorf and/or Duelund; values are common, though the alternatives would probably have to be doubled- or tripled-up (with appropriate values, so that the total is what they show - as a starter at least) to increase power handling in order to lower heat in each one of them... or, figure out a way to use heatsinks on the Mundorfs or Duelunds (I assume they used heat-sinked resistors for good reason).

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Pretty sure that is Logan listening, rather the a kid listening to Logans, if you catch my drift. It made me smile anyway:)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Head bobbing and all... cuteness!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
lol ! The innocence of an open mind, than that of the Jaundiced Cynical 'Industry Expert' ;)

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Soundhound and Shazam don't know what that track is. Does anyone? It's quite stirring...

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
lol ! The innocence of an open mind, than that of the Jaundiced Cynical 'Industry Expert' ;)
Are you making fun of me or my dog???

And oh, my mom had promised me she would never let anyone see my head bobbing to that music when I was little. :( :( :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing