New Martin Logan hybrid announced at CES

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...ut-of-2016-CES&p=176037&viewfull=1#post176037

Las Vegas, Nevada - CES 2016 - January 6, 2016 - MartinLogan, the world's leader in electrostatic and Folded Motion™ loudspeaker technology, proudly announces a bold new hybrid electrostatic speaker, Renaissance ESL 15A. Ushering in a new era for MartinLogan, Renaissance ESL 15A features 15-inch wide Curvilinear Line Source (CLS™) XStat™ vacuum-bonded electrostatic transducers, with advanced MicroPerf™ stator technology, and redesigned ultra-rigid AirFrame™ construction; plus, our laser-engineered low-distortion aluminum cone woofers in a compact enclosure, powered by new dual 500-watt Class-D amplifiers, and controlled by a 24-Bit Vojtko™ DSP Engine and ARC™ (Anthem Room Correction) - available in ten beautiful designer finishes.

A Masterpiece in the Making
We consider something a masterpiece when uncommon skill and artistry shapes familiar elements in an unexpected way, revealing an essential truth. For MartinLogan, the essential truth revealed by our skill and artistry is audio realism. Fittingly, their next generation of electrostatic loudspeakers debuts with the new Renaissance ESL 15A. Three decades of audio design and engineering innovation, distilled into a startling fresh loudspeaker ideal.

A Masterpiece of Design & Engineering
The pièce de résistance is the integration of MartinLogan's award-winning Curvilinear Line Source (CLS) XStat electrostatic (ESL) transducer with its robust woofer section, the revolutionary melding of design and engineering.

Now notice some radical refinements: Inspired by our own breakthrough design, MartinLogan has reinvented the Renaissance ESL 15A woofer section. Using two independently enclosed woofers in the compact chamber, exclusive PoweredForce Forward™ bass alignment technology controls the interaction between the rear-firing woofer and the wall behind that woofer. With smart phase-shifting technology, we minimize the effect that wall has on bass information that might bounce back into the listening room. This uniform frequency response results in realistic bass effects you can feel. It's one more way MartinLogan innovation improves your listening experience in any room.

Achieving the Laboratory Standard in Your Own Room
For the first time in an electrostatic speaker we are introducing the integration of exclusive Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology. By engaging ARC, you can experience performance on par with MartinLogan's audio test lab.
ARC measures sound output in your room and compares it to optimal response curves that account for spatial anomalies. The advanced algorithms of ARC then effectively remove the anomalies, leaving only the ideal standard: transparent, natural-sounding performance in the listening space.

Come Closer for More Detail
Clearly, it is this level of ultimate performance that separates the merely excellent from the true masterpiece.

• Two 12-inch Laser-Engineered Low Distortion Aluminum Cone Woofers in a sealed enclosure - Rigid cast baskets and stiff cones eliminate distortion, while the high excursion, extended throw drive assemblies produce tremendous amounts of naturally-blended low end in the surprisingly compact, beautifully finished enclosure.

• 15" Wide Curvilinear Line Source (CLS) Electrostatic Panel with gentle horizontal curvature, enhancing high frequency details produced by the large radiating surface.

• Redesigned Ultra-Rigid AirFrame Technology is precision manufactured from an aerospace-grade extruded aluminum alloy. The bold, forward-moving styling of this AirFrame rail system, narrow and strong in front, broad and forceful from the side, is a modern design statement. It never obstructs playable surface area or interferes with the panel's dipole sound radiation pattern. It also provides electrical and acoustical isolation, minimizing intermodulation distortion caused by vibration and resonance. The flowing lines emphasize the groundbreaking integration of the panel itself with the compact woofer and amplifier section. The breathtaking AirFrame design enhances imaging, low-level sonic detail, accuracy, and speaker efficiency.

• New PoweredForce Forward™ Bass Technology combines two MartinLogan audio innovations: PoweredForce, which allows small enclosures to accurately produce massive amounts of bass, and ForceForward, which significantly reduces performance-robbing front-wall bass reflections. PoweredForce Forward bass technology uses an advanced crossover topology with phase timed woofers to minimize destructive reflected energy. By virtually eliminating front-wall bass reflections and working in tandem with the panel, PoweredForce Foward Bass Technology gives you more placement flexibility, and enhances the true audio realism of your sound source.

• New Anthem Room Correction (ARC) is an exclusive technology used by Renaissance ESL 15A to achieve perfect loudspeaker performance in any room. Simply engage ARC, and the calibrated microphone measures the sound output within your unique listening space and compares it to optimal response curves. The advanced DSP algorithms of ARC Technology then instantly adjust your speaker's output to accommodate the landscape of your room, virtually eliminating performance-robbing anomalies such as doors, windows, and other hard surfaces, even furniture.

• New Powerful Dual 500-Watt Class-D Amplification with 24-Bit Vojtko™ Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine produces clean power, in a small space, more efficiently than ever before. They enable the effortless delivery of exhilarating dynamic impact, with plenty of overhead. Superior, reliable Class-D technology means there's virtually no energy lost between the amplifiers and the woofers.

• Precision-Built Advanced-Topology Vojtko Crossovers are fully hand-built using only the finest polypropylene capacitors and air-core coils, the crossover employs MartinLogan's proprietary Vojtko topology for vanishingly low distortion and seamless driver/ESL integration. This precision-tuned network preserves even the most microscopic sonic nuances while handling the full dynamics of any source.

• Premium WBT Binding Posts are used to connect your electronics safely and securely. Their fine silver filigree is highly conductive and free from "eddy current" effects. These posts are fully insulated for shock protection and topped with an impressive palladium-plated metal cap, with plenty of room for large-gauge professional speaker connections.

Renaissance ESL 15A will be available in ten designer finishes, pricing starts at $24,995 per pair (US) and will start shipping in Spring 2016.
More information will be available in the coming months at: www.martinlogan.com

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
And an image to compliment bonzo's scoop, altho this appears to be a simplified 3D render and therefore perhaps not entirely accurate to the product 'In the flesh'

image hosting gif

I must say that I was expecting something a little more 'revolutionary' on the eye! given the initial release drum roll, perhaps along the lines of a scaled down Neolith.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, not a convert to the ML cause having heard SL3s, Aeris' and Summits. But really quite liked the Prodigies. Esp their design. IMHO, the Summit aesthetics were much disappointing compared to the Prodigy, and this lacks a certain something too. Maybe ML need a new industrial designer. Never did Meridian any harm, a big part esp of their early success in the 80s was the uber cool vibe of the 207 and active floorstanders.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hopefully Amir may have a couple of 'real world' images for us as they are on demo at CES, If he can bare more than 20 seconds in the ML room that is!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hopefully Amir may have a couple of 'real world' images for us as they are on demo at CES, If he can bare more than 20 seconds in the ML room that is!

Bare?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Roger, what the Hell part of yr body is "more than 20 seconds"?

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Maybe this is it:

ML_R15A.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did not see that at the show yet. Only the Neolith in the two floors I managed to see yesterday after getting a late start. Do they have a display in another floor? Either way if it is in the Venetian, I will be hitting it today.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
Maybe this is it:

Looks like there's no perforated grill covering the front woofer. I wonder if it's removeable?

Definitely tempting to upgrade from my legacy Summits!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Now that looks substantial, the panel frame looks rigid, DSP-corrected acoustic suspension bass, and hopefully they've done something about the woofer cabinet vibrations - which are, frankly, ridiculously over the top in all other current hybrid offerings; plus, the panel sits upright, thankfully! Crossover quality remains unknown... Interesting product.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Looks like ML got a hold of a Sanders speaker ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
They certainly appear to be going back to the Odyssey/Prodigy days, which is a welcome change - the tonal balance varied so much with the previous tilted speakers, not only by tilting them, but also standing up and down, which made it even harder to find a good height where bass integrates best and the balance is good.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. Went to their booth today. There are two new models, the ESL-15A and EM-ESL X. On the ESL-15A was powered. The other sat quietly in the back of the room.

Here is a shot of the ESL-15A:

Let me put it this way: I didn't like the sound. It is what I consider to be typical of ML sound. What was wrong with it was far more apparent than in Neolith.

I did my vibration test :). The surround for the panel is a substantial metal L-channel. It is bolted pretty securely to the bass cabinet. While my tests are not scientific, I thought there was less being transmitted to the frame than in Neolith! Of course different music and volume levels could very well explain the difference. When I say "less" I mean far more than acceptable. This is a fundamental design issue with having a large sail only supported by a frame that is held secure at the bottom.

The back wave was of really poor quality. It would need substantial absorption to remove it from combining it with the front wave.

Even though the smaller brother, the EM-ESL X was not powered, it could not escape Amir's stress testing. :D I grabbed the frame and tried to flex it. It easily moved back and forth. So much so that it even separated from the bass box!!! The frame is some plastic like structure and no where near the stiffness of 15A. It is almost toy like in rigidity. This is one budget speaker. It is also substantially smaller than the ESL 15A.

Here is the little guy:

Sincerely,
Amir, the ML hater.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, back wave needs to be reflected off a flat even surface. A window or glass behind, can't make out what's behind that curtain, and that curtain etc will diffuse the rear wave to cause a lack of imaging

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Actually, back wave needs to be reflected off a flat even surface. A window or glass behind, can't make out what's behind that curtain, and that curtain etc will diffuse the rear wave to cause a lack of imaging
Not in my book of acoustics :). But yes, if you want that dipole sound to the max, then you want a reflective back wall. As you see, the manufacturer has chosen otherwise with that heavy pleated curtain and secondary curtain in front of that. I expect those to absorb easily down to 500 Hz if not lower.

BTW, I sat next to the gray haired guy driving the system and he was the one that had set up the speakers as I chatted with him. He told me where to sit for best sound so I suspect he is more in favor of blocking the back wave than not.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not in my book of acoustics :). But yes, if you want that dipole sound to the max, then you want a reflective back wall. As you see, the manufacturer has chosen otherwise with that heavy pleated curtain and secondary curtain in front of that. I expect those to absorb easily down to 500 Hz if not lower.

BTW, I sat next to the gray haired guy driving the system and he was the one that had set up the speakers as I chatted with him. He told me where to sit for best sound so I suspect he is more in favor of blocking the back wave than not.

I think the curtains will be the best compromise at a show, was there a glass wall behind the curtain? You are right, a dipole lover would want a dipole sound to the max. But you will find even on the ML forum different people have different choices - some absorb, some diffuse, some reflect

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Comment from a Neolith Owner, who owns a multichannel system with Neoliths for the front two, CLXs for the side two, prodigys for the rear, 4 Velodyne subs for the front and the sides, and 2 Descent i subs for the rear.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...ut-of-2016-CES&p=176081&viewfull=1#post176081

"While Neoliths these are not, at $25,000 they sound great. For sure most ML fans will really enjoy them. I think they learned a lot from the neolith development. The bass goes down to 22 Hz and it shows. I plan an extended listening period tomorrow. With the balanced forward bass you can get them closer to the wall I am strongly considering purchasing a pair to replace my Prodigys in my multi-channel which I will talk about later. When you get a chance to listen to these pick some bass material that will challenge these and pay attention to how well the bass integragrates with the panels. Very nice. I'm also ok on the looks. I think the would be really fine in the Ferrari red like that available in the Neoliths. At this point I'm sticking to my original thumbs up opinion but I'm not done investigating yet. "

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the curtains will be the best compromise at a show, was there a glass wall behind the curtain? You are right, a dipole lover would want a dipole sound to the max. But you will find even on the ML forum different people have different choices - some absorb, some diffuse, some reflect
I did not try to peak but I am confident there is a huge glass window there and hence the curtain. We are in agreement on the other then :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing