Nagra Introduces Classic DAC at CES 2016

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm sure this dac hits a lower price point, fills out their "Classic" range also. I suspect the Classic DAC with the new Classic Integrated amp is a killer combo that would shock folks spending a LOT more.

I'm with you..I'd love a DSD recorder from Nagra...that might get me to start digitizing my vinyl...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Knowing Andreas is involved I bet this sounds good. I'm also curious about the Chord DAVE.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
These were at the show today:

Alas I have no notes on it which usually means they were not playing any music. I love the industrial design. If i have time I will go there again if there is interest in how they perform.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
These were at the show today:

Alas I have no notes on it which usually means they were not playing any music. I love the industrial design. If i have time I will go there again if there is interest in how they perform.

I bought the Classic Amp recently. It's a pretty special amp...I bet you'll like the sound of this system...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
J, have you moved from yr Ayres? I thought you loved 'em?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
J, have you moved from yr Ayres? I thought you loved 'em?

The MX-R's are great amps. Nothing bad to say about them. The Nagra Classic Amp possesses more resolution, better portrayal of space, deeper/tighter extremes...albeit at a lower power output. The MX-R's NEVER ran out of gas...always effortless...The single Nagra I just have to be a little careful-not much however...and I listen to Jazz, acoustic and light classical...mostly...which it's perfect for.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Today, with my BHSE tube amp + Stax SR009, I compared quite intensively the dCS Rossini DAC and the NAGRA HD DAC.

The NAGRA HD DAC with my BHSE was by far the most involving and enjoyable ! I Finally got some saoul & spirit into my music :) ! Much more than with TotalDAC, DAVE or Rossini, all 3 being very precise and detailed but... NOT very exciting :-(

Until I heard the HD DAC, I had the feeling that all those high-end DAC sounded almost the same, but with HD DAC there is something more, some emotion I did not get with the other DACs

I wonder if the Classic DAC will bring the same magic or if I really need to get the HD to get this feeling ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I wonder if the Classic DAC will bring the same magic or if I really need to get the HD to get this feeling ?

I'm a HUGE Nagra fan, their gear nearly always punches above it's weight class. Seems like the Classic DAC requires a preamp and drops the tube output stage.

I think this depends on your preamp, if you have a killer preamp, then you maybe happy with the Classic DAC for less $$'s. However, make no mistake, Nagra builds GREAT preamps, and the charm you're hearing maybe partially from the preamp stage in the HD DAC. I have a Nagra MPS power supply on my Nagra Phono stage...it's important to as is the Nagra VFS plates...

I've heard the HD DAC vs the Vivaldi...I know the HD DAC is VERY good...doesn't surprise me on your reaction...I'm still a Vivaldi guy...but that HD DAC could make me waver too at that price point...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Today, with my BHSE tube amp + Stax SR009, I compared quite intensively the dCS Rossini DAC and the NAGRA HD DAC.

The NAGRA HD DAC with my BHSE was by far the most involving and enjoyable ! I Finally got some saoul & spirit into my music :) ! Much more than with TotalDAC, DAVE or Rossini, all 3 being very precise and detailed but... NOT very exciting :-(

Until I heard the HD DAC, I had the feeling that all those high-end DAC sounded almost the same, but with HD DAC there is something more, some emotion I did not get with the other DACs

Probably you enjoyed the effect of the tube and transformer coupling of the HD DAC in your system. ;) The Classic DAC has a similar digital and converter section, but no tubes and no special separate analog and digital power supplies, but almost the double of the price.

I have looked at the HD DAC it a few months ago, but unfortunately I really wanted a network input. The internal processing is DSD128 - that is not the highest resolution anymore today, contrary to what is written in their brochure. IMHO you should ask if they are considering upgrading it to DSD256.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

I approached the NAGRA rep to use their CDP/DAC at AXPONA 2017 after hearing them at shows. The music just flowed, very enjoyable to listen to, no hardness. Good to see you had a similar impression of their DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing