Shunyata DENALI

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
So would a Triton V3 on a single dedicated line be a better option than a Denali 6000T and a 2000T on two dedicated lines? If not, would the Typhon (QR - new model?) change the analysis? System includes D'Agostino M400 mono blocs. Thanks.

There is no substitute for the greater current capacity of two dedicated circuits - if you have high power amplifiers in the system. This does not particularly matter if you use power conditioners or not. It is simply more potential DTCD (dynamic transient current capacity).

That being said, the QR/BB tech in both the Denali and the Tv3 improves the perception of “dynamics”. The size of the QR/BBs in the Tv3 are 3 times the size of those in the Denali. Therefore, the Tv3 significantly outperforms the Denali in a heads up comparison.

The results obtained with the mixing and matching of the number of AC circuits and Denalis versus Tritons will be entirely dependent upon which specific components are used in the system. In my experience with various systems, I usually prefer the performance of the Tv3 over that of the Denali D6/D2 combination but your results will depend on the specific components in your system. Also there is a substantial difference in cost.

The Typhon QR was designed as a pre-conditioner for the Tv3. However, it can also be used with a Denali or it can used as a standalone device for big amplifiers. In all of these applications, the improvement in performance is quite “substantial”. Beta-testers typically peg the perceived performance improvement at 50-100 percent versus a Tv3 alone.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Great, thank you. I was leaning towards the Triton V3/Typhon QR - sounds like I'll be very happy with that.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
My Denali 6000T currently has all Shunyata NR cables (two alpha and three Sigma) there is only one that Isotek remains the Syncro model that powers my amplifier.
Caelin is there any news about the possibility that Shunyata made a cable that would eliminate the direct current in the AC line?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Caelin.
Some time ago you commented that you were studying the possibility of manufacturing a device, to eliminate the CC in the AC line. Have you decided something about it?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin.
Some time ago you commented that you were studying the possibility of manufacturing a device, to eliminate the CC in the AC line. Have you decided something about it?

If you mean a DC blocker? Yes, we have a device that is fully developed and have several that are operating in our reference system. We still don’t think there is a viable market to invest in putting them into production. We have tested all of the relatively inexpensive units on the market and found them to be “wanting” at best. Some of them, in the tests we performed, just flat don’t work. So, I sympathize with those of you that have the problem.

If we did build the device it would completely eliminate so called DC, have outlets for 6 components and provide a continuous current rating of up to 30 amps. But that level of performance is relatively expensive. We are talking about a product that would retail for about US$4k. We just don’t see enough demand at this point to put them in production.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'd like to thank Lee Scoggins for a comprehensive and well crafted review!

Thank you Caelin!

A very impressive piece of gear so it made my job easy. Very impressed with the Delta cables as well.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
If you mean a DC blocker? Yes, we have a device that is fully developed and have several that are operating in our reference system. We still don’t think there is a viable market to invest in putting them into production. We have tested all of the relatively inexpensive units on the market and found them to be “wanting” at best. Some of them, in the tests we performed, just flat don’t work. So, I sympathize with those of you that have the problem.

If we did build the device it would completely eliminate so called DC, have outlets for 6 components and provide a continuous current rating of up to 30 amps. But that level of performance is relatively expensive. We are talking about a product that would retail for about US$4k. We just don’t see enough demand at this point to put them in production.

That product in addition to blocking the DC, has the QR / BB modules?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
That product in addition to blocking the DC, has the QR / BB modules?

It would be branded as a Denali product and would have many of the features of the Denali products but would not have QRBB since they are quite large and the DC blocker circuit consumes most the internal volume.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I thought I would report on my demo of these three Conditioners: Shunyata Denali, Audioquest Niagara 5000, Richard Gray Power 1200c.

It's pretty interesting how different they are. These are just my impressions and in my system with very sensitive, highly dynamic
Avantgarde Duo Grosso Horn speakers. Of course, YMMV!

I found the Shunyata Denali has a warmer laid back character.
For me, too laid back compared the AQ and Richard Gray.

The Audioquest 5000 has the AQ "House Sound." That is, resolved but smooth,
refined and almost delicate. Interestingly, the AQ's are the only one of the two
that showed a lowering of line noise as measured by my Alpha labs EMI meter.
(This meter is simple and a bit crude, but does measure wide band ac line noise.)

The Richard Gray, which I'm just beggining to demo is more dynamic than the other two (independent of the dedicated line). In fact it sounds downright Powerful-- power to spare and transmitting excellent
realistic timbre.

This lesser known conditioner, the Richard Gray Power 1200c works with a different tech than the Denali
or AQ. It uses two large 6000 watt parallel chokes which, as explained to me, means the output is from the
power cord with -60db of parallel impedance filtering applied across the load.

With my 30 watt/channel Master Sound 845 tube amp there is a sense of easy power I've never heard before. This
tech reportedly allows tubes amps to burn cooler and last longer. I can verify that the main transformer on this amp which is usually
about hot enough to fry an egg, is now only mildly toasty.

This is all pretty surprising given the Audiophile street cred of the Shunyata's and AQ's. The RG's have been
around for over 17 years and have a following mostly with the AV market. I would not have even
seen them on my radar without the recommendation from Alan Maher Designs.
http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com

It's too early but I'm leaning to the RG, but will definitely give the AQ another whirl after the RG's
have a couple of more days of break in. And to be fair, I haven't listened to the Shunyata or AQ with amp to dedicated line which I
suspect is making a significant impact.

I'll be very interested to hear the AQ with the amp plugged into the dedicated line.
Source: Roon via Mac Pro Server and Lumin S1. Amp: Mastersound Compact 845 w/ Elrog power tubes. Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Grossos, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, High Fidelity Cables for speaker and interconnects. Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Noise filtration from Alan Maher Designs. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
Interestingly, the AQ's are the only one of the two
that showed a lowering of line noise as measured by my Alpha labs EMI meter.
(This meter is simple and a bit crude, but does measure wide band ac line noise.)

Interesting, @CGabriel want to comment on this?

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
I have an AQ Niagara 5000 and it has improved my SQ noticeably. A small improvement with my Diablo plugged into it. A slightly bigger improvement with my Lumin plugged into it. A more noticeable difference with my router and NAS plugged into it. Cumulative difference is very noticeable. Alas, I did not compare to other power line conditioners or regenerators.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Interesting, @CGabriel want to comment on this?

I don't know enough about the tech to draw any conclusions as to why the RG and Shunyata
showed no noise reduction (as measured by the Alpha line noise meter) from the baseline 300 mV
I get in all outlets.

For all I know, it might be meaningless with regards to ultimate sound quality.

But I am curious why it was only the that AQ dropped the mV levels -- from 300 to 14 (measured on
the AQ) and down to 30 to 80 mV on 4 other outlets on the same wall.

As explained to me they all three have different technologies. Both the AQ and RG
use chokes: the AQ with several smaller chokes in series and the RG two large ones
in parallel. Shunyata, I won't pretend to know what they are doing or how
it is fundamentally different from the other two.

When I listen again to the AQ, with amp direct to wall line, I'll have a better idea
if it sounds "quieter" than the RG. I suspect it will based on earlier listening, but will it have the
dynamics I'm getting through the RG?

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I thought I would report on my demo of these three Conditioners: Shunyata Denali, Audioquest Niagara 5000, Richard Gray Power 1200c.

If you go up in the Richard Gray line to their Powerhouse unit then you can plug a Denali or Niagra device into that with remarkably synergistic results.

Reactions: Rejean

wil

Jul 22, 2015
If you go up in the Richard Gray line to their Powerhouse unit then you can plug a Denali or Niagra device into that with remarkably synergistic results.

As I understand, the Power Plant is an Isolation Transformer and
7200 watt clean power source?

If I were to keep the Niagara, it is already doing a good job cleaning the power for
my dac and server.

For my dedicated Amplifier line, I was advised to get a 20 or 25amp LoNo medical grade iso transformer from Plintus with a center shield to take care of it's line noise. About $750.

The Power Plant looks like a pretty awesome piece of gear, though!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
As I understand, the Power Plant is an Isolation Transformer and
7200 watt clean power source?

If I were to keep the Niagara, it is already doing a good job cleaning the power for
my dac and server.

For my dedicated Amplifier line, I was advised to get a 20 or 25amp LoNo medical grade iso transformer from Plintus with a center shield to take care of it's line noise. About $750.

The Power Plant looks like a pretty awesome piece of gear, though!

Niagra (I think) or Denali can also go into a LoNo chain. They’re complementary. Triton/Typhon absolutely works.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I continue to be impressed by the Denali. Now added again to my headphone rig, it definitely has lowered noise floor materially and bass is now more present. I notice this effect with a variety of both DACs and headphone amps. It seems consistent across a wide array of IEMs and full size cans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing