Shunyata DENALI

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Jerry,

I hesitate to make any proclamations. We are ok letting time and the market decide the Denali range's value and performance. We have measured and beta-tested these products thoroughly, however as with any product, the true measure of its worth comes from its performance in the field within a variety of systems.

Denali's are a distillation of the best technologies within the Triton and Typhon. They also possess the new filter technology finding its way into hospitals and electrophysiology labs across the country. In terms of measurement, they are the quietest products we have ever produced, but there is much more to performance than a noise measurement. Triton v2 and Typhon will remain as our reference products. As usual, Caelin designs with the purpose of lowering price and pushing performance. This has always been our competitive edge in a crowded marketplace; lower-retail pricing, explainable science and cost to performance value.

For the money, the Venom PS8/Defender are hard to beat. The shelf-mount Denali will retail at $3995. Given the price difference, we are counting on this unit out-performing the PS8/Defender as well as all of the Denali line's price-class competition. We are still a month or so away from release of these products. They will be available for audition through dealers. Along with you, Caelin and I will look forward to everyone's impressions.

Best regards,

Grant

Last edited:

Jerryb

Dec 4, 2015
Hi Grant

Thanks for your response. You have responded in a manner that sets Shunyata apart from many of your competitors and avoided any wild claims or hyperbole.

Unfortunately, I live many hundreds of miles away from the closest Shunyata dealer, so I have to count on the informed opinions of reviewers and clients to inform my decision.

Regards

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I hesitate to make any proclamations. We are ok letting time and the market decide the Denali range's value and performance. We have measured and beta-tested these products thoroughly, however as with any product, the true measure of its worth comes from its performance in the field within a variety of systems.

Denali's are a distillation of the best technologies within the Triton and Typhon. They also possess the new filter technology finding its way into hospitals and electrophysiology across the country. In terms of measurement, they are the quietest products we have ever produced, but there is much more to performance than a noise measurement. Triton v2 and Typhon will remain as our reference products. As usual, Caelin designs with the purpose of lowering price and pushing performance. This has always been our competitive edge in a crowded marketplace; lower-retail pricing, explainable science and lower cost to performance value.

For the money, the Venom PS8/Defender are hard to beat. The shelf-mount Denali will retail at $3995. Given the price difference, we are counting on this unit out-performing the PS8/Defender as well as all of it's price-class competition. We are still a month or so away from release of these products. They will be available for audition through dealers. Along with you, Caelin and I will look forward to everyone's impressions.

Best regards,

Grant

Jerryb

Dec 4, 2015
Performance Comparisons

One more question Grant

Will the performance of the 2 Denali 6 outlet units be identical? (vertical with feet vs horizontal)

Thanks

Jerry

Hi Grant

Thanks for your response. You have responded in a manner that sets Shunyata apart from many of your competitors and avoided any wild claims or hyperbole.

Unfortunately, I live many hundreds of miles away from the closest Shunyata dealer, so I have to count on the informed opinions of reviewers and clients to inform my decision.

Regards

Jerry[/QUOTE]

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Alpha100,

The 2-outlet Denali is essentially an in-series Typhon, so my inclination is to say yes. In Beta-testing the results with a variety of system components were quite dramatic. However, as with any expensive purchase it would be best to seek a trial or purchase with a return-priveledge. Most dealers will have some accommodation in that regard.

Jerry,

The performance of the two six outlet units will be very similar given that the same internal components are used, however the added isolation of the base for the tower unit would seem to give that unit a slight advantage performance wise.

Regards,

GRant

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
The 2-outlet Denali is essentially an in-series Typhon, so my inclination is to say yes. In Beta-testing the results with a variety of system components were quite dramatic. However, as with any expensive purchase it would be best to seek a trial or purchase with a return-priveledge. Most dealers will have some accommodation in that regard.

Now the question is that in your testing, how does 2 Denali perform against Typhon in parallel?

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Thank you Grant. I believe that the Typhon works only in conjunction with Triton. My question was on the premise that the Cyclops is stand alone and Denali 2000T stand alone. Can the Typhon be used alone for my DAC and Transport and if so then in what order of superiority are these 3 models I.e. Denali cyclops typhoon.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Adyc,

Normally, placing effective technology in-series with connected electronics will deliver more obvious listening or viewing results than an in-parallel device. Having said that, if the product in question is an amplifier there is the issue of what effect if any, adding a small amount of contact-resistance between the amp and the wall will have, versus running the amp direct and using a Typhon in parallel.

Although I experienced no down-side using Constellation, VAC and ARC amps with Denali 2000T, there are far too many amp and system combinations out there for me to make a universal declaration at this point. They are both impressive performance oriented products. As Denali spends time on the market and in a variety of applications, it will become far easier to make specific recommendations of using a Typhon or Denali and the best configuration based on specific applications. This would be similar to what we do now regarding recommending Typhon/Triton v2 configurations with dedicated lines versus a single line etc. I will be traveling extensively with these products and applying them in a wide-range of systems, including Medical, so we will come up to speed very quickly.

Regards,

Grant

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Alpha,

In addition to plugging into the Triton v2, Typhon will work effectively with any independent circuit once plugged into the wall outlet. There are many customers and a few studios using Typhons plugged into a wall-outlet shared with an amplifier. In your case, I'd wait for the Denali as it will work better with a transport and DAC if they plug directly into the unit. Whether Denali of Typhon will work better with a variety of ultra high-current amplifiers, we can wait a month or two and find out as the Denali 2000T finds its way into dealers and studios.

Jerryb

Dec 4, 2015
star Grounding and other grounding impacts

Hi Grant

I am changing the thread here as I couldn't see where I could start a new thread.

There seems to be more and more Noise (pun intended) about the impacts of grounding, passive and active grounding etc. Can you adress this subject in terms of how the existing Shunyata conditioners and the pending Denali deals with this subject? Is there any Benefit of additional grounding if one is plugging all equipment into a Shunyata conditioner? And if so, what is the practical approach as opposed to the multi $$$ snake oil approach as espoused by a number of other organizations?

Thanks

Jerry

In addition to plugging into the Triton v2, Typhon will work effectively with any independent circuit once plugged into the wall outlet. There are many customers and a few studios using Typhons plugged into a wall-outlet shared with an amplifier. In your case, I'd wait for the Denali as it will work better with a transport and DAC if they plug directly into the unit. Whether Denali of Typhon will work better with a variety of ultra high-current amplifiers, we can wait a month or two and find out as the Denali 2000T finds its way into dealers and studios.[/QUOTE]

notme

Nov 4, 2015
Grant, how's the release schedule for the Denali coming along?

Also, which power distribution unit will be recommended for a Devialet dual-mono amp/DAC/streamer (if you folks still use a Devialet)? Thanks.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Jerry. My apologies for not seeing your original question. The ground posts on our Hydra products are there for systems that use multiple dedicated lines and want to ground all remote components, such as amps on dedicated lines, through the Hydra's patented noise isolation chambers. Components that are already plugged into the Hydra Triton v2 or Hydra Denali products do not need any additional grounding.

For Devialet products, which we still use for testing and listening purposes along with Constellation, Moon, ARC and VAC, would be best served through a Hydra Denali 2000T (if there are only the 2 components) or into the high-current outlets on the 6000T or 6000S outlets.

The release of the Hydra Denali products are imminent. Hydra Denali products should be shipping after the Newport Hi-End Show. We will be doing Seminars in the Theater Room behind Registration with Bob Hodas (Acoustical Room Design), Stillpoints and Exemplar Audio. We will have Hydra Denali products on display for the show.

One of the many new features within Hydra Denali 6000T and 6000S units are the new filters Caelin designed for the medical industry. Below is the noise measurement highlighting the noise isolation between outlets. In terms of context, a standard measurement for comparable purposes is often taken at 1 MHz. An exceptional noise measurement would be in the range of -24 to -26dB at 1MHz. The line and source outlets on Hydra Denali models go a fair way beyond those numbers, which explains the success we have had in Hospitals and Heart Surgery (Electrophysiology) labs.

Attachments

• D6T CCI Measurement.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Hi Grant,

There has been much discussion and excitement about the new Denali products. I, for one, am most interested in the Denali 2000T which will replace my single Cyclops v.1 into which are plugged 2 ARC REF 250 monoblocks which in turn plugs into one dedicated 20A line (3 Zitron Alpha HC's). I wasn't clear however on whether the 2000T's will ship with a 20A or a 30A input as alluded to elsewhere as an "option". It was also mentioned that the 30A connection could be retrofitted(?) later this summer. Would prefer to order the 30A-spec'ed unit first if they're available rather than retrofit later. Are the 30 amp PC's available at this time or are they still in development?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
-Wilson

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Wilson, I hope all's well with you. Good to hear from you again.

Based on projections with parts vendors, I don't see the possibility of offering a 30A Amphenol twist lock connector in the near future. I had a prototype with one here and reported some issues with its ease of connection. That set its development back a bit as it is a custom- made connector. The points of contact on the connector are an advantage, but our cryo'd 20A connectors measure extremely well as a linear point of contact (for peak current) as well. At best, I would project winter and even that I cannot be sure of based on current experience with the vendor. If you don't have a 30A AC breaker at the panel, 10awg or better wire in the wall, the benefit is likely not worth the wait or update cost. There is no breaker or built in protection on the Denali 2000T, making it a pure performance device for amps of simple 2-component systems.

Hydra Denali models will be shipping next week to dealers and will be available for demo. In your case, ARC uses our wiring internally in their electronics and that metal linearity will help. If I can help with more info or an evaluation through a local dealer, feel free to call or e-mail me.

Thanks, Wilson.

Regards,

Grant

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
Hi Grant,

Thanks for that update. It makes it easier to pull the trigger on the Denali 2000T. I do have 10awg in my new dedicated lines with a 20amp breaker at the subpanel but the timeline is a bit too long for me. Do you anticipate that it will also be offered in silver/natural? I hear the new Denali line will only be offered in black for now.

Hope you're well too Grant! Great to see Shunyata continues to offer great new products that offer high value/price.

Best,

Wilson

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Grant, I have two Cyclops v2, one for each amp. Can you give me an idea as to what benefit I might find by going with a Denali? Also, is there a single outlet version for users such as myself?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Grant,

Thanks for that update. It makes it easier to pull the trigger on the Denali 2000T. I do have 10awg in my new dedicated lines with a 20amp breaker at the subpanel but the timeline is a bit too long for me. Do you anticipate that it will also be offered in silver/natural? I hear the new Denali line will only be offered in black for now.

Hope you're well too Grant! Great to see Shunyata continues to offer great new products that offer high value/price.

Best,

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

The 30A IEC will not be available anytime soon as there are issues with connection and which power cord models can be offered. There will only be black faceplate availability. All of us felt it was a superior finish aesthetically, so we've committed to the brushed aluminum black facia. If I can be of any further help, feel free to call or e-mail.

Regards,

Grant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing