Shunyata DENALI

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
but the Typhon does add significantly to the performance of the v3.

Are there any plans to offer a product like the Typhon in the Denali series? Might the greater efficiency of NIC v2 allow you to offer something that further boosts the Denali's performance, but at a lower price than the Typhon?

melb0028

Apr 4, 2017
Thank you for your replies. I'll plan to buy a v3 a little later this year, and follow it with the Typhon next year. Almost $15,000…will need several months to save up!
Well said - but I tell you the Denali is absolutely amazing on its own and is significantly less expensive then the V3/Typhon combination. If I were to place them on a relative scale with 100 the best, I'd say if the V2/Typhon is a 65, the Denali is an 85, and the V3/Typhon is 100. I would have been very happy with the Denali by itself as it seemed such an amazing upgrade over my v2. And currently the Denali is RH's reference which I think says a lot.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Shunyata folks... good for you in that when I just reassembled my system I found my dedicated outlet is too far away for my existing power cord. So I can either buy a new, longer PC, or upgrade my old Hydra v2 (not Triton v2). The new Triton v3 is a little bit dear, so the Denali 6000T would be a better choice for me, and from what I have read it would be a sizable improvement over my Hydra v2.

If I upgrade to the Denali 6000T, I can place it on the floor next to my rack, which would allow my power cord to reach. But... the floor is carpet. Am I correct the Denali 6000T comes with the stainless footers? Do you still have the spiked Hydra feet, or are the new ones adequate no matter what surface the Denali is resting on?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Shunyata folks... good for you in that when I just reassembled my system I found my dedicated outlet is too far away for my existing power cord. So I can either buy a new, longer PC, or upgrade my old Hydra v2 (not Triton v2). The new Triton v3 is a little bit dear, so the Denali 6000T would be a better choice for me, and from what I have read it would be a sizable improvement over my Hydra v2.

If I upgrade to the Denali 6000T, I can place it on the floor next to my rack, which would allow my power cord to reach. But... the floor is carpet. Am I correct the Denali 6000T comes with the stainless footers? Do you still have the spiked Hydra feet, or are the new ones adequate no matter what surface the Denali is resting on?

You should NEVER spike a Denali or Hydra into the floor. Actually that goes for most power conditioners also. We actually designed our own vibration analyzer with sub-micro accelerometer sensors to optimize the dampening of our power conditioner chassis'. The Denali and the Triton are quite inert with respect to vibration. If you are interested, watch the Denali video about vibration control on our site.

The reason some speakers need to be spiked to the floor is that they generate vibration and grounding them to the floor can help drain the vibration away from the speaker enclosure. Power conditioners do not generate any vibration of their own (unless they have transformers, we do not) and therefore if the chassis is properly dampened the only thing spiking it to the floor would do is to inject vibration from the floor into the conditioner. Not a good idea.

The Denali D6000/T isolation platform was designed to support the conditioner off the floor and has dampening polymer pads that reduce vibration. We designed the D6/T to be a complete integrated product that didn't need amp stands or exotic feet to perform well.

And yes, the Denali is a big step up from the Hydra II or the Hydra V-Ray.

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
FWIW, the Triton v3 includes technology originally developed for the Denali. This tech was applied in a larger form in the v3 because of the greater space available. Certainly, we performed extensive testing and comparisons both in house and within a number of controlled beta applications. That said, there have been comparisons, so someone who has tried both will likely chime in here eventually. We consider the Triton v3 to be the current reference in our line-up, with or without the Typhon, but the Typhon does add significantly to the performance of the v3.

Best regards,

Grant

Does the Triton v2 still have the greater instantaneous current delivery, or were you able to optimize the Denali filters with that extra room? If so, what changes were made?

Kerkhoffd

Dec 12, 2016
The Denali was a revelation and better than the Triton V2/typhon in just about every way (with the exception of my N10 which preferred the V2 for what ever reason).

I am guessing right you are referring to the Aurender N10? Did you also compare the Aurender directly to the wall vs Denali? I may consider the Denali T2000 for my two Devialets after I buy an Aurender N10 this year if this improves the SQ even more. Would be a shame if the Denali didn't bring out the best in that source.

melb0028

Apr 4, 2017
I am guessing right you are referring to the Aurender N10? Did you also compare the Aurender directly to the wall vs Denali? I may consider the Denali T2000 for my two Devialets after I buy an Aurender N10 this year if this improves the SQ even more. Would be a shame if the Denali didn't bring out the best in that source.
Yes I was referring to my Aurender N10. The N10 through the Denali was outstanding and I wouldn't be surprised if some ears would prefer it to the v2 as the denali had an edge in resolution. The N10 into the Denali bested direct to the wall by a readily audible margin. For that matter, everything I tried through the Denali was much better than the wall so no worries there...

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
FWIW, the Triton v3 includes technology originally developed for the Denali. This tech was applied in a larger form in the v3 because of the greater space available. Certainly, we performed extensive testing and comparisons both in house and within a number of controlled beta applications. That said, there have been comparisons, so someone who has tried both will likely chime in here eventually. We consider the Triton v3 to be the current reference in our line-up, with or without the Typhon, but the Typhon does add significantly to the performance of the v3.

Best regards,

Grant

Does the Triton v2 still have the greater instantaneous current delivery, or were you able to optimize the Denali filters with that extra room? If so, what changes were made?

Any chance for a response from Caelin or Grant? Thanks!

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Any chance for a response from Caelin or Grant? Thanks!

If you have a question about our products and want it answered promptly, it is best email our customer support - cservice@shunyata.com

It is actually comparing apples to oranges. The Triton v2 represents the pinnacle of a design philosophy that goes back about 12 years to the Hydra Model-8. The Denali represents the first in a new concept designed around our MED filters and the patent pending QR/BB. As Robert Harley pointed out in his review, the Denali is clearly better than the Tv2. That has been the case for 90% of customers. A small minority of customers still preferred the Tv2 over the Denali. But even they recognized the exceptional qualities of the Denali. So to sum it up, both the Denali and the Tv2 are great products and which you would give the nod to would depend entirely on your system and personal preferences.

One thing is absolutely clear; the Triton v3 is definitely better than either of the above.

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
If you have a question about our products and want it answered promptly, it is best email our customer support - cservice@shunyata.com

It is actually comparing apples to oranges. The Triton v2 represents the pinnacle of a design philosophy that goes back about 12 years to the Hydra Model-8. The Denali represents the first in a new concept designed around our MED filters and the patent pending QR/BB. As Robert Harley pointed out in his review, the Denali is clearly better than the Tv2. That has been the case for 90% of customers. A small minority of customers still preferred the Tv2 over the Denali. But even they recognized the exceptional qualities of the Denali. So to sum it up, both the Denali and the Tv2 are great products and which you would give the nod to would depend entirely on your system and personal preferences.

One thing is absolutely clear; the Triton v3 is definitely better than either of the above.

Thanks for the response. I understand that the Denali and Triton v3 offer greater noise reduction. I also get that most people prefer the Denali to the v2, with Robert even sonically preferring the Denali over the Triton v2/Typhon. In Grant and your initial postings, you seemed to intimate that the Triton v2/Typhon offered substantial enough better DTCD over the Denali to still be the reference in the lineup. I understand the Triton v3/Typhon should offer better DTCD than the Denali given the in-series vs parallel filters. I understand most people will prefer the v3 to the v2.

My question is does the v2 offer better DTCD than the v3, or were you able to alter this difference? If so, can you explain how, no matter how vague?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Really nice showing of the Denali at Axpona this year. I will have an article out on ELAC, Audio Alchemy and Shunyata Denali soon...then later a full review of the Denali.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Thanks for the response. I understand that the Denali and Triton v3 offer greater noise reduction. I also get that most people prefer the Denali to the v2, with Robert even sonically preferring the Denali over the Triton v2/Typhon. In Grant and your initial postings, you seemed to intimate that the Triton v2/Typhon offered substantial enough better DTCD over the Denali to still be the reference in the lineup. I understand the Triton v3/Typhon should offer better DTCD than the Denali given the in-series vs parallel filters. I understand most people will prefer the v3 to the v2.

My question is does the v2 offer better DTCD than the v3, or were you able to alter this difference? If so, can you explain how, no matter how vague?

I think we need to define what DTCD is.

DTCD Analysis is a proprietary measurement technique developed to measure instantaneous current flow throughvery low impedance electrical conductors and contacts. It is used to optimize the design of electrical parts andmaterials to ensure optimal instantaneous current delivery. Shunyata Research uses it in the design and development of high performance power delivery products.

DTCD: Dynamic Instantaneous Current Delivery
DTCD test results indicate that designing power delivery systems around the concepts of minimized AC impedance,high quality contact integrity and maximum instantaneous current delivery ensures maximum performance andelectrical reliability in home entertainment and professional recording systems.

So that is from the technology guide. What it means is that DTCD has to do with "instantaneous current delivery". While it is critical to overall power distributor performance, it is by no means the only principle involved in perceived performance. Other issues include conducted power line noise and CCI (component to component interference). Then, there are the electrical parts, connectors, terminals and other materials that are difficult to objectively measure but have a significant impact on audio and video performance.

The differences between a Tv2, Denali and Tv3 for only DTCD performance is marginal at best. They all have exceptional DTCD capability.

The differences in performance between the models has more to with CCI filters, MED filters and the size of the NICs or QR/BBs.

That's the best answer I can give you.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have a 6000T on the way, to replace an old Hyrdra v2. I won't be plugging the amp into the 6000T, it currently is plugged directly into a dedicated 20amp circuit. That will leave me with:

2ea phono-pre power cords (Einstein TTC)
1 ARC REF10 power cord
1 ARC DAC8 power cord
1 turntable power supply cord
1 computer/server power supply cord

Those who have a 6000T please help me out... I know there are 3 zones, 2 are the same and one of the zones for HC. How would you connect the above components? I am assuming to 1 zone of 15amp service for the phono-pre cords, and put the REF10 and DAC8 on another zone, with the turntable and server cords into the final zone. But which cords shoul be plugged into the HC zone?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have a 6000T on the way, to replace an old Hyrdra v2. I won't be plugging the amp into the 6000T, it currently is plugged directly into a dedicated 20amp circuit. That will leave me with:

1 ARC REF10 power cord
1 ARC DAC8 power cord

Those who have a 6000T please help me out... I know there are 3 zones, 2 are the same and one of the zones for HC. How would you connect the above components? I am assuming to 1 zone of 15amp service for the phono-pre cords, and put the REF10 and DAC8 on another zone, with the turntable and server cords into the final zone. But which cords shoul be plugged into the HC zone?

I would put your turntable and computer on a separate circuit and not plugged into the Denali.

lydon

Jul 9, 2011
@ Caelin or Grant,

Sa-dono pointed out the difference between the Tv3 with in-series filtering (w/o the Typhon) and the Denali with it's parallel filters. Could you please explain the implications for picking either product for a given system. A well known member here on the forum, who has a Spectral amplification system and who spins vinyl has commented that in-series filtering is a non starter for the dynamics of his rig, but does own a Typhon to cut down the noise off the mains.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
Thanks for the response. I understand that the Denali and Triton v3 offer greater noise reduction. I also get that most people prefer the Denali to the v2, with Robert even sonically preferring the Denali over the Triton v2/Typhon. In Grant and your ignitial postings, you seemed to intimate that the Triton v2/Typhon offered substantial enough better DTCD over the Denali to still be the reference in the lineup. I understand the Triton v3/Typhon should offer better DTCD than the Denali given the in-series vs parallel filters. I understand most people will prefer the v3 to the v2.

I think we need to define what DTCD is.

DTCD Analysis is a proprietary measurement technique developed to measure instantaneous current flow throughvery low impedance electrical conductors and contacts. It is used to optimize the design of electrical parts andmaterials to ensure optimal instantaneous current delivery. Shunyata Research uses it in the design and development of high performance power delivery products.

DTCD: Dynamic Instantaneous Current Delivery
DTCD test results indicate that designing power delivery systems around the concepts of minimized AC impedance,high quality contact integrity and maximum instantaneous current delivery ensures maximum performance andelectrical reliability in home entertainment and professional recording systems.

So that is from the technology guide. What it means is that DTCD has to do with "instantaneous current delivery". While it is critical to overall power distributor performance, it is by no means the only principle involved in perceived performance. Other issues include conducted power line noise and CCI (component to component interference). Then, there are the electrical parts, connectors, terminals and other materials that are difficult to objectively measure but have a significant impact on audio and video performance.

The differences between a Tv2, Denali and Tv3 for only DTCD performance is marginal at best. They all have exceptional DTCD capability.

The differences in performance between the models has more to with CCI filters, MED filters and the size of the NICs or QR/BBs.

That's the best answer I can give you.

This stands in polar opposite from one of your previous responses:

2) What should perform better for sources & preamp?
a) Denali 6000
b) Triton v2 + Typhon

Objectively, based on measurements, the Denali has better CCI (component to component isolation). However, noise reduction and CCI are just one aspect of overall performance. The other main performance factor is DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery).....

I guess I am stuck reading between the lines.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

1 ARC REF10 power cord
1 ARC DAC8 power cord

I would still try plugging your amps into the HC outlets of the 6000T. I too have dedicated 20 amp lines for my amps but they seem to sound better through the Denali.

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
@ Caelin or Grant,

Sa-dono pointed out the difference between the Tv3 with in-series filtering (w/o the Typhon) and the Denali with it's parallel filters. Could you please explain the implications for picking either product for a given system. A well known member here on the forum, who has a Spectral amplification system and who spins vinyl has commented that in-series filtering is a non starter for the dynamics of his rig, but does own a Typhon to cut down the noise off the mains.

Actually, I sort of oversimplified things. The Denali's filtering is all in-series. Only the Typhon offers solely parallel filtering. The Denali 6000's HC outlets' and 2000T's outlets' NIC v2 filtering is not in-line. I can not speak to the QR/BB technology, unless someone finds the pending patent.

From what I can gather, the DTCD from greatest to still very high lowest is:

Typhon > Denali HC/2000T > Triton v2 > Triton v3 >/= Denali 6000 Zone 1/2

Noise reduction offered is the opposite, except the Triton v3 provides greater noise reduction than the Denali.

Outside of for the most current hungry gear, or those that want the greatest dynamics and PRAT, all of Shunyata's offerings should make you very happy.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I guess I am stuck reading between the lines.

I am not sure how you are interpreting what I had said, but there is no contradiction in either post. Essentially, both posts say the same thing - you cannot isolate any single performance paramter to the exclusion of another.

How about you feedback to me what you think I said? Then, we can clear up any misunderstanding.

You might also consider calling our customer service line so that you can have a live dialog about your questions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing