It's finally here guys. The new ESS 9038PRO. Game changing DAC chip!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to know that the target users of these new products are "Discerning Audiophiles". But the Velvet Sound architecture with " six different digital filter types selectable according to the user audio and system preferences" raises a problem - which is the "true" to the artist and sound engineer intentions? ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Nice to know that the target users of these new products are "Discerning Audiophiles". But the Velvet Sound architecture with " six different digital filter types selectable according to the user audio and system preferences" raises a problem - which is the "true" to the artist and sound engineer intentions? ;)

You pick the filter that you feel takes you there. Just like you choose the hardware that you feel takes you there. I've been telling you guys about this technology for a while. You really should be taking this seriously because it's the future of high end audio.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It's strange that we have the biggest news in the last 10 years of digital, and by far the best DAC chip ever built released, along with a breakthrough LDO, and it's nobody's interested around here. I guess it won't be until $800 DAC's using them make $10000 DAC's sound broken that it will start getting attention :)

Anyone in the market for a DAC, might want to wait a bit before taking the plunge.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's strange that we have the biggest news in the last 10 years of digital, and by far the best DAC chip ever built released, along with a breakthrough LDO, and it's nobody's interested around here...
Maybe because no one has actually heard a product using this??

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Maybe because no one has actually heard a product using this??

Yes for people who don't realize how revolutionary it is, that's likely the problem. But take into consideration, that the 9018 chip was released 8 years ago, and it's still used in over 50% of the high end DAC's on the market. This is the successor to the 9018. It's been 8 years in development. And it's light years better. Not only that it has built in measures to allow it to still preform top notch in poor quality environments. Especially when used with its companion voltage regulator. We will see DAC's powered by dirty USB buses that outpreform the very best 9018 based DAC's on the market today with this chip. Just put a decent output stage behind it, and you'll have an exceptional game changing DAC.

There's going to be a lot of overpriced boat anchors on Audiogon soon is all I can say :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
umm there is more to making a musical dac or cdp than a dac chipset mike a lot more in fact. thats not to say its moot but hard to get excited about.

whats really exciting is a few vinyl guys with dcs stacks are saying they have not used thier tt for some time:cool:

Yes I realize that, but this chip is unlike any ever released. It's designed to make many design compromises null and void so even a chimp can make a game changing DAC out of it. Especially when used with its companion LDO.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I hope Gustard is working on implementing this chip in their X30.

Everyone will be. It's common knowledge in the industry how revolutionary this chip is. The very finest 9018 based DAC's are now obsolete. Along with most other DAC's out there. Unless of course they're were built in a modular upgradable form factor like the Resonessence Mirus, and can be upgraded to this new chip. Expect the resale value of those DAC's to climb, while the others become paperweights.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Everyone will be. It's common knowledge in the industry how revolutionary this chip is. The very finest 9018 based DAC's are now obsolete. Along with most other DAC's out there. Unless of course they're were built in a modular upgradable form factor like the Resonessence Mirus, and can be upgraded to this new chip. Expect the resale value of those DAC's to climb, while the others become paperweights.

Chord Dave, Direct Stream, Chipless DSD and Ladder PCM guys wont be affected.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Chord Dave, Direct Stream, Chipless DSD and Ladder PCM guys wont be affected.

They will also be affected because there will be a pile of DAC's out there that sound better for much much cheaper.

I suppose if you want to look at it that way, DAC's using the ESS 9018 won't be affected either :)

The cost of admission into uber high end digital has just gotten much much lower with these 2 products.

And note what the product brief hints about using DSP for sound styles. Kinda sounds a bit like I've been talking about lately which has bent so many out of shape :)

The days are numbered for hardware based colorations. A new interstate is gonna be running through town, and these guys have gas stations on Route 66 :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
And note what the product brief hints about using DSP for sound styles. Kinda sounds a bit like I've been talking about lately which has bent so many out of shape :)

It's not what you say, but how you say it. I personally hope the new chip makes it into the next generation of home theater processors.

Lee

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It could be a few years before we see this new chip implemented in actual DACs available for sale?

Should be Q3 of this year.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It's not what you say, but how you say it. I personally hope the new chip makes it into the next generation of home theater processors.

Lee

It won't be just home theatre products, it will be in any DAC. Much like the 9018 is used now in over 50% of the DAC's on the market today. Only difference is this DAC chip is much much better, and has a companion LDO now.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
yes mike but your choice of words is offten your undoing... sound styles... amp emulation. if your confident in a product or tech and want it to be acepted some times its good to use rhetoric thats ... more modest?

It won't be me that determines this, it will be the industry that adopts it. I'm just giving everyone a heads up. People can choose to acknowledge the information, or bury their heads in the sand. But it won't make any difference, because the manufacturers building the products are intelligent enough to understand the concept.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing