Jim from London - Kronos/Acapella

JVS

Jan 3, 2016
London UK
Hi

Just started posting today - already know a few on here, all Brits - Purite, Bonzo75 and User 211, probably more!

Been into HIFI since my Dad brought a "stereo radiogram" back in the 60s.

My present set-up is:

Kronos Pro 004/250 / Graham Phantom Supreme 12" / Audio Note Io Gold

Dave Slagle hand wired (for the Io Gold) silver SUT / diy LCR phono

Nagra CDP

Aurorasound Preda / Pass Aleph 2 monos

Acapella High Violon

Note the cat - next best thing to a fireplace! ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nice system. Speaking of cat, I often wonder about our two dogs and what they think of my music when I playing it loud. Their hearing is orders of magnitude better than mine. So what sounds loud to me, must be insanely loud to them. Yet like your cat, they sit there quietly and tune it all out!

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Very impressive cat.... the gear is almost as good. Just kidding .Congrats on a superb system and thanks for sharing . Would love to hear your impressions of the Kronos and what lead you there
Cheers
Pradeep

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That looks like a wonderful set-up!

When are you inviting the London WBF crew (including me) over for a listen? :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That looks like a wonderful set-up!

When are you inviting the London WBF crew (including me) over for a listen? :)

He has regular bake offs (the term here for visiting an audiophile as a group). Fyi Jim, Ron has a basis audio top of the line TT in the US, and I had invited him along Saturday but he was in Iceland that day

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am sorry I missed that last "bake-off"!

PS: I do not have that turntable yet. I hope to have it by 2017.

JVS

Jan 3, 2016
London UK
Thanks for making me feel welcome guys :)

Very happy to receive visitors, if anyone is in London. As Kedar says, I do host and attend many gatherings of Hifi folk in the Uk.

Plenty of kit in my history - much of it from your side of the pond. I used to be very fond of Jeff Rowland and Wilson.......until I discovered horns. :D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Such impressive equipment tucked into a little corner. I have not heard the tt. The Acapella has a visceral bass impact. You are a lucky audiophile.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, JVS and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. It looks like you have assembled a very respectable setup! Very nice sir. I do have a couple of questions for you right off the bat, if you don't mind...

I see that your extremely nice TT setup is wall mounted and has what appears to be a plethora of anti-vibration gear underneath. How would you describe your system while playing vinyl with such a large woofer seemingly inches away from the TT? Are you by chance limited in the volume whilst listening to vinyl or does it not seem to affect anything during playback at louder volumes and/or demanding passages?

I respectfully ask this because I am interested in possibly losing my rack for the TT and going the same route as you. My space isn't quite as limited as yours but to be honest, I'm not too far off unless I place the TT in an adjoining closet further away (which might pose another set of issues).

Again, welcome to the WBF! :)

Tom

JVS

Jan 3, 2016
London UK
Hello, JVS and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. It looks like you have assembled a very respectable setup! Very nice sir. I do have a couple of questions for you right off the bat, if you don't mind...

I see that your extremely nice TT setup is wall mounted and has what appears to be a plethora of anti-vibration gear underneath. How would you describe your system while playing vinyl with such a large woofer seemingly inches away from the TT? Are you by chance limited in the volume whilst listening to vinyl or does it not seem to affect anything during playback at louder volumes and/or demanding passages?

I respectfully ask this because I am interested in possibly losing my rack for the TT and going the same route as you. My space isn't quite as limited as yours but to be honest, I'm not too far off unless I place the TT in an adjoining closet further away (which might pose another set of issues).

Again, welcome to the WBF! :)

Tom

Thanks for that Tom - I'm starting to feel quite at home here already :)

Not sure what you can see in the pic, (cameraphone/poor lighting etc) but there's no anti-vibration gear under it - the feet rest directly onto the metal frame of the wall-mount shelf. (Although of course, the shelf itself must be considered an anti-vibration accessory)

There are three metal framed wall mount shelves in the pic. The lower two are Sound Organisation and the top one that the TT is sitting on, is a Target shelf.

Tbh, I would've preferred to use one of the Sound Organisation shelves for the TT because the backframe, which is fixed to the wall, is far deeper - about 12" whereas the Target backframe is only about 4" deep. The deeper backframe makes for a far stiffer platform. Problem is, the width is not quite sufficient for the Kronos.

Despite the proximity of the r/h Acapella to the equipment and that the room size is modest (18' x 15' x 9' 6" high), feed-back and room boom are totally absent, regardless of volume setting. The Acapellas have been marvelous in this respect (compared to the previous Watt/Puppy 7). I think it's because of the lack of any porting in the bass cab - they are a sealed enclosure with isobaric style internals.

The only comparatively noisy item in my system is the outboard PS for the diy LCR phono - this is sited well away from everything else. I'm very fortunate to enjoy an extremely quiet system!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hello Jim - welcome to What's Best - not that I've posted much here but Kedar kept posting BS about Apogees so I had to join in:)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hiya Justin, hope you're well. Are you still on the ML forum?

Still post there every now and then. Not nearly as much as I used to, though.

Have a nice Jan bake off... keep the Wammer's in (or is that out of?) control... LOL.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Looking good Jim and welcome to What's Best Forum mate

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jim, you already "win First Prize in a beauty contest" in the Monopoly of WBF w/the Kronos.
Looking fwd to catching up w/you very soon, I'm the walking (sitting?) wounded after my 211 debacle earlier :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing