Top Ten of 2015 | Films ... Tentative

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In no particular order name your top ten favorite films of 2015.

But here's a twist; leave enough room for the ones you didn't catch yet. ...So that you can edit your post later on by adding those new films.

Example: Because I didn't have a chance yet to see Sicario, The Walk, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, Spotlight, The Big Short, Everest, Carol, Brooklyn, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, The Revenant, Tangerine, The Good Dinosaur, Shaun the Sheep, Room, and few more...
...I will enumerate only five for now...and later on I can complete my list of ten, or/and remove one title by another one if so "electrifying" inclined:

- Mad Max: Fury Road (Action/fiction film)
- Roger Waters - The Wall (Musical/film/doc)
- Inside Out (Animation)
- Meru (Documentary/factual)
- Cinderella (Fantasy/Disney classic story)

________

* @ the Theater, @ IMAX, in 3D, in 2D, on Blu-ray, on DVD, on Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Roku, Cinemax, Cineramax, HBO, Movie Prime Time, the Movie Channel, by Streaming/Downloading, ...any which way but viewed under a good light.

So, this thread will automatically prolong itself as time goes by in its own peaceful and magical movie world way. :b

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One of the best I saw was an Iranian movie called A Girl walks home alone at night.

Of the above, I only liked Inside out. Ex Machina

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Once in a while a movie comes along that is hard to label. Even harder when it is not actually a serious piece nor was meant to be.

He Never Died

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
One of the best I saw was an Iranian movie called A Girl walks home alone at night.

Of the above, I only liked Inside out. Ex Machina

? ex_machina is among the top ten list of many people...and it's almost there too on my list...but I have to wait for the other films.

And this one is from 2014 ::

Once in a while a movie comes along that is hard to label. Even harder when it is not actually a serious piece nor was meant to be.

He Never Died

? I don't know Jack ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
All I can say is it's different Bob. Its not as dark as the trailer makes it out to be actually. There's a satirical touch but also a unique one. Not Quentin like use of gratuitous violence for example. Just different. I can't put my finger on it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am a little familiar with Henry Rollins; his music, writing, heavy metal poetry, avant-gardiste ideology, activist/revolutionary, actor, stage orator, ...all that jazz.

Reading about He Never Died and the actors and Henry...I just don't know Jack, I don't think it would be my cup of tea personally, but I can respect people who are his fans.
...Because like I said I'm a bit familiar with the aura of he artist, and its unique poetry style. But I need to see the film first to have a truly solid opinion eschewing any judgement till then.

* The other video trailer I posted above, A Girl Walks Home Alone @ Night, in black and white...the music score reminded me a bit of Quentin Tarantino's some of his flicks' own music scores.

I love what you guys bring new to the table; I'm all in, I love audacity in films as in music. ...The messages for all people we're all different receptionists of music reproduction and movie watching. We all vibrate to different vibes and tunes, and that's humanity how it works. Films and music don't kill, people do, for what they believe in and for what others are trying to make them believe in. ...The weak, the ones who get trapped by the persecutors and dictators, the slaves, the un-free. And it's the other way around that the cards have a real solid balance; when the persecuted reverse the current and destabilize the dictators...when the people fight for justice and not the justice fighting for them, because there is no justice in the laws of men, in their books. The true justice is in people's actions against the injustice, against the tyranny. There is just too much corruption in the justice system to be working fairly for the people.

Anyway it's outside the scope of that flick but not far away from some of Henry Rollins' own ideas. I'm a little familiar with some of those ideas from Henry.

Jack, I wish you and all your family a very content new year of all around good vibrations. ...The Beach Boys. ;-)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
* The other video trailer I posted above, A Girl Walks Home Alone @ Night, in black and white...the music score reminded me a bit of Quentin Tarantino's some of his flicks' own music scores.

The music reminded you of Quentin Tarantino because his music is inspired from Ennio Morricone (Sergei Leone films). QT is on record saying that The Good Bad Ugly is the best directed film ever, and has used Morricone for some of his own scores. The music from Girl walks home alone at night is also inspired from Morricone, and her direction from Sergei Leone, hence reminding you of QT. In fact, there is one all out tribute scene in the film to the good bad ugly

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
The music reminded you of Quentin Tarantino because his music is inspired from Ennio Morricone (Sergei Leone films). QT is on record saying that The Good Bad Ugly is the best directed film ever, and has used Morricone for some of his own scores. The music from Girl walks home alone at night is also inspired from Morricone, and her direction from Sergei Leone, hence reminding you of QT. In fact, there is one all out tribute scene in the film to the good bad ugly

Your recommendation is like gold in these here hills ... I will see this flick. Thanks :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your recommendation is like gold in these here hills ... I will see this flick. Thanks :)

Ok, just to clarify, the film is good for this year - don't expect a great of all times :). Btw they showed the Leone trilogy here last month. We went for the GBU, the last, else 9 hours would have been too long. never miss a chance to watch it on big screen. It's like an orchestra

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Ok, just to clarify, the film is good for this year - don't expect a great of all times :). Btw they showed the Leone trilogy here last month. We went for the GBU, the last, else 9 hours would have been too long. never miss a chance to watch it on big screen. It's like an orchestra

Well, being an audiophile, I know better than to expect "great" all the times, any reference to QT, Clint, the good bad ugly + company peeks my interest, not to mention I liked the trailer.

This trailer looks interesting ... (sorry north for hijacking your post, Rev & Crimson are my favorite films of the year so far, not seen hateful or spotlight tho)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hateful is releasing here this weekend, will check it out

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This trailer looks interesting ... (sorry north for hijacking your post, Rev & Crimson are my favorite films of the year so far, not seen hateful or spotlight tho)
It does. At first I thought it was the classic lost dog movie but then turned into Planet of Apes style movie.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Here are my 9 plus a place holder for my Top 10 for this year:
Brooklyn
Sicario
Concussion
Woman In Gold
Love & Mercy
The Intouchables
Spotlight
Trumbo
Big Short

These were all considered for the top ten:
Danny Collins
In The Name of My Daughter
Ex Machina
The Connection
Mr Holmes
Steve Jobs
Bridge of Spies
The 33
Creed

Unfortunately I haven't seen the following yet:
Chi-Raq
The Danish Girl
Legend
Straight Outta Compton

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Yes, Quentin once mentioned The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as his favorite western.

But us, we all know that Once Upon a Time in the West is the superior one.

* It's snowing here right now...very nice, large white snow flakes falling in fair abundance on a relatively mild afternoon (3° C).

P.S. I will try to locate that 2014 flick...A Girl Walks Home Alone @ Night (I love black & white moving imagery). ...And attempting to see the art of it. ...Thx

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He said it was the best directed film ever, not just a western.

I find once upon a time too slow. Leone peaked on GBU. Not sure if you have watched it on big screen. If there is one film I have to pick to watch on the big screen and avoid on a smaller one, this is it. Of course, on an audiophile forum, sure some people have high end cinema set ups.

I like once upon a time in America though. Great performance extracted out of Deniro

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This trailer looks interesting ...
(sorry north for hijacking your post, Rev & Crimson are my favorite films of the year so far, not seen hateful or spotlight tho)

? Lol, my posts and threads will never be hijacked no matter what; I'm a movie/music lover with a deep passion for everything 'talkable' and permissible.
Forums are places where you exchange/share ideas with others...not with ourselves. ...Unless we are part of the 6 o'clock news.
Without knowing what others have to say I'm nobody. It's the people who make this globe goes in circles around other planet's orbits.

<<>> In that trailer just above...White God; shaky camera work...I'm out...gives me huge headaches and vertigo aggravation...not my definition of good times @ the movies...even if the story is stellar. Camera works and music scores they are accompaniment to the stories, not detriments. I like to sit in front of a screen without a bottle of pills (for 'migraine').

my 2015 Animated flick of the year ... (sorry Pixar, Snoopy wins again)

? This, also on my radar...big peanuts time. This little doggy (Snoopy) is one of my big heroes, more than Batman, more than Superman, more that Spider-man, more than Ultra-man, more than Iron-man, more than Ant-man...all reunited together.

<> Tonight I'll most likely be watching Sicario on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He said it was the best directed film ever, not just a western.

I find once upon a time too slow. Leone peaked on GBU. Not sure if you have watched it on big screen. If there is one film I have to pick to watch on the big screen and avoid on a smaller one, this is it. Of course, on an audiophile forum, sure some people have high end cinema set ups.

I like Once Upon a Time in America though. Great performance extracted out of De Niro

Yeah, Quentin's big talker...saying lots of things on his mind. :b

God, Bad & Ugly on Blu-ray ... 60" TV. ...No big screen. ...The music score...the music score...and the panorama.
You have a big screen, how big?

I also like, very much, Once Upon a Time...the Revolution (1971), but it doesn't fit in the best top ten list of 2015. ;):D ...Lol, I love movies...so many of them so little time.
It's like music...there are so many recordings on this planet that we'll all die without ever having listen to more than 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

? 2016 is the year of UHD Blu-ray (4K with 3D sound...Dolby Atmos and DTS:X). ...Disney, Universal, FOX, Warner Brothers, Paramount, Sony/Columbia, Lionsgate...the rest. Should look and sound real swell... :b

P.S. It would be nice to have a
alert/feature here @ WBF...I think. ...But not entirely necessary.

Films are like people; there are some real good ones, and the rest. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing