Best Audio Spectrum Analyzer Application for Mac?

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Ray I can probably say you are much more savvy at using these software programs than I am.

That may be, doesn't mean you can't learn.

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” ? Frank Zappa

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I cannot speak for Ron since this is his post but I am looking for something simple to operate and get repeatable results.

In my experience, assuming the only changes are reasonable changes in the volume of the playback system, the positioning of the measurement microphone is the primary determinant of repeatable results.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I cannot speak for Ron since this is his post but I am looking for something simple to operate and get repeatable results. Some of these programs would require me to get an EE degree.

Amir wrote a tutorial on REW that's easy to follow for newbies.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
fuzzmeasure. It's beautiful and user friendly. You prolly won't need to ask anyone for help or read a long help file. It's that easy. You need a mic and ADC/mic pre. I wouldn't use a USB mic. You can get a decent calibrated mic from cross spectrum, as previously mentioned. TEAC makes some inexpensive ADCs which are very accurate.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I use a Behringer mic with AD USB interface by Focusrite - I then use REW.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
fuzzmeasure. It's beautiful and user friendly. You prolly won't need to ask anyone for help or read a long help file. It's that easy. You need a mic and ADC/mic pre. I wouldn't use a USB mic. You can get a decent calibrated mic from cross spectrum, as previously mentioned. TEAC makes some inexpensive ADCs which are very accurate.

+1 on this. Haven't used it in some time but I can't imagine they have gone backwards. They also get bonus points for their website name.

http://supermegaultragroovy.com/products/fuzzmeasure/

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you to each of you for your suggestions!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you are in fact closer ( to me ) than Beverly Hills I can even pop over and measure the room for you?
Keith.

That is a very kind suggestion, Keith. Unfortunately, the listening room will not be put back together for several more months. And it is in Beverly Hills. (You are welcome to visit!)

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
That is a very kind suggestion, Keith. Unfortunately, the listening room will not be put back together for several more months. And it is in Beverly Hills. (You are welcome to visit!)
Ron Hi, that is gracious of you, well if you need any help, it really is worth acoustically measuring your room, the results are always fascinating and revealing.
Keith.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Good thing about REW is that lots of people use it. It's very powerful but may be a bit daunting at first due to all the settings and measurement types.

For sure a USB mic is the easiest way to get up and running.

Above that an audio interface, I'd recommend the Focusrite 2i2. Not many buttons or knobs, just the right number of IOs. Easy to hookup. That's what we use in one of our remote measurement kits. Some of the other interfaces like Tascam and Sound Devices have a lot going on and can be difficult to setup if you don't know what you are doing.

See here for a simple how to I did with Ethan of RealTraps incl. Fuzzmeasure and REW: http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Simplest & least expensive is Audiotools for iPhone 5 & 6. I was surprised at how close it was to my Gold Line RTA & mic.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'm late to this party, but FWIWFM I like my CSL-calibrated UMIK-1 (lower noise floor than the UMM-6 they also sell) and REW. CSL charges around $100 for an individually calibrated mic that includes different resolution and angles of incidence, well worth it to me. Performance is comparable to my Earthworks M30 mic running R+D or some other pro SW. IOW, you can spend $100, download some SW, and do most everything (and in some cases more) than my $1200 mic and $1k ~ $5k SW packages. I can't decide if I am all that happy about that, but in practice I find myself using REW much more simply because it is easier and more people are familiar with it than having to haul out a preamp and use SW nobody else understands.

That said, while the UMIK-1 is fine for most audio system response measurements, it is not what I would use for noise floor or very high SPL/high dynamic range measurements.

FWIFM - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing