Best Audio Spectrum Analyzer Application for Mac?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not a computer person and I am not up on the latest computer applications for audio.

In preparation for the installation of a new stereo I would like to develop some competency to be able to measure myself the frequency response of my listening room.

I am writing to inquire if someone has tested and evaluated any of the numerous audio frequency spectrum analyzer programs available for Mac computers. I am looking for one which is accurate and optimized for the kinds of frequency response and room acoustics measurements us audiophiles want to make. I do not care whether it is free or for sale -- I just want to try to identify an accurate and simple-to-use program which will allow me to observe and measure the frequency response of my room using test tones so I can see dips or peaks which may require correction.

Recommendations for microphones would also be appreciated.

I am more interested in quality than in cost, so please feel free to make your recommendations based more on accuracy and quality and ease-of-use (I am good with all manner of devices with buttons, dials and switches, but I get very frustrated with computers) rather than value.

Thank you!

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
You just need a USB microphone, the MinI DSP UMIK-1 is fine, as for software, RoomEQ Wizard is free to download, or even easier to use is Dirac, who also offer a free two week trial .
Dirac of course will also 'correct' your room should you want to hear their idea of how your room should sound.
Keith.
The UMIK-1 is £75.00

Reactions: Loheswaran

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
I have used Dirac in its various iterations, they have collaborated with both Amarra, and MiniDSP.
It is good ,simple to use, you can choose just how much of the frequency response to correct, bass is always worst.
But before I did anything else I would acoustically measure the room, then you can tackle specific issues.
Keith.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have three inexpensive Mic's here the XYZ, Behringer and MiniDSP UMIK, all three are completely adequate. the UMIK-1 comes with its own calibration file and is really straightforward to use .
Keith.

I own the UMIK-1. Great microphone for general low frequency use, but the noise of the USB intrinsic interface at 1Khz and harmonic spikes is considerable. For other more specif uses, such as measuring distortion or signal to noise ratios, an non USB with a separate sound card or unit is needed. I use the Behringer ECM 8000 with an EMU tracker for such tasks.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Steve I just did a sweep on the iTunes Store. OMG there are dozens of apps. Can you tell us the name of the developer of the one you use please? Thanks.

You answered before I finished my post. LOL

Ron

I use Spectrum Analyzer from the Apple App Store

I think it cost all of $10. Simple to use and very good for what you are looking. It uses the microphone in your iPhone

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That XTZ Room Analyzer II looks perfect. But I see it does not work an Apple computers.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well if that is the right program for me to use it is not tragic to have to buy a PC laptop. (I have a PC desktop workstation computer but it is too far from the listening room.)

Thank you, Steve!

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
REW works with Macintosh now. It is quite usable, and free of charge:

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

The UMIK-1 is good enough for room measurements - $100 or so:

http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html

If you should (gasp! Oh, the horror!) want to fool around with room correction ($325, 48kHz):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-an

- I use one with AcourateDRC now ($90) - http://www.audiovero.de/en/acouratedrc.php

Or the Dirac version ($900, 96kHz):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-22a

---

Not too much money to play around, and decide if that's a direction you want to go.

Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I cannot speak for Ron since this is his post but I am looking for something simple to operate and get repeatable results. Some of these programs would require me to get an EE degree.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I cannot speak for Ron since this is his post but I am looking for something simple to operate and get repeatable results. Some of these programs would require me to get an EE degree.

I don't have an EE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing