Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 320

Thread: Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Why donīt you focus on products and forget about the owners? As far as I know this is an audio forum, not a therapy group!
    I was just explaining why we shouldn't expect much interest here. I have said quite a bit about the product.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    16,051
    No more personal comments please. This is a very interesting product and discussions should be limited to that.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by spazmatron View Post
    with you on that but why undermine this truth with the silly TT jibe blizzard.
    just trying to get Bonzo loosened up a bit.

  4. #44
    Addicted to Best! Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    The problem with most Sabre chip designs are weak output stages. Not the case with this DAC. The Sabre brightness, some people talk about isn't even from the chip, it's from undersized ic opamp based output stages. The 9018 chip is a 8 channel DAC, and the output stage must sink a lot of current when the channels are paralleled. When built undersized, you run into an edgy sound. Proper engineering overcomes this.
    I totally agree...to a point. I have the LH Labs Pulse X Infinity which is based on the Sabre AQ2M chip which sounds terrific. I think all DACs involve three primary design steps which are complex: usb input, chip/software for FPGA, and analog output stage.

    However, the FPGA designs seem to have an edge based on extensive listening to the PS Audio DirectStream and Chord Hugo. There seems to be more detail and smoothness all at once.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

    Source: Sony SCD-777ES, VPi Scoutmaster, Lyra Argo(i), LH Labs Pulse Infinity X, Benchmark DAC2 HGC Amplification: Audio Research Ref 5SE, Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables: Black Cat Lectraline/Venom CLR Power Conditioning: 10 gauge Romex dedicated line, Furutech NCF outlet, Shunyata Denali/PS8/Defender/Alpha HC, Black Mamba and Venom power cords Recording: AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

  5. #45
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,557
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    No more personal comments please. This is a very interesting product and discussions should be limited to that.
    I hope we see more of these "affordable" pricepoint products and threads created for them. I hope that wasn't too personal of a comment though.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by spazmatron View Post
    how about the guys in the know put together a chinese made system or debate such things as you are. this will be great for the people reading this that want great sounds but are concerned about price and value...

    we have a dac by the sounds of it... transport pre and amp?

    good advice for a second system too. i am very intrested so thanks blizzard and co for helping shed light on these far away gems.
    The thing is they may be far away, but you place the order and the service is second to none. Very nice folks over at shenzhenaudio
    as well. Not just good value. Fast shipping too. I really think the product and the service are what counts the most.

  7. #47
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    554
    This is what I hear with the X20 compared to the Vega and Yggydrasil, both great DACs in their own market share. I would like someone with a DAC in the SOTA category to hear the X20. I am just saying the X20 has changed my listening habits in terms of analog or digital. And I really like Chinese food too, maybe just Asian since I can include Thai. Chill out guys this is suppose to be fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I totally agree...to a point. I have the LH Labs Pulse X Infinity which is based on the Sabre AQ2M chip which sounds terrific. I think all DACs involve three primary design steps which are complex: usb input, chip/software for FPGA, and analog output stage.

    However, the FPGA designs seem to have an edge based on extensive listening to the PS Audio DirectStream and Chord Hugo. There seems to be more detail and smoothness all at once.
    Marty

  8. #48
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    554
    Are you asking about the remainder of my system?

    Quote Originally Posted by spazmatron View Post
    how about the guys in the know put together a chinese made system or debate such things as you are. this will be great for the people reading this that want great sounds but are concerned about price and value...

    we have a dac by the sounds of it... transport pre and amp?

    good advice for a second system too. i am very intrested so thanks blizzard and co for helping shed light on these far away gems.
    Marty

  9. #49
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    554
    Aurender N10 > Kimber Ag USB > Gustard X20 > Luminous Audio Silver Reference XLR > BAT VK50SE > ZenWave D3 XLR > Rogue Audio ST100 > Bren1 Oasis > Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII mids and upper. Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 XLR > Parasound A21 > Bren1 Oasis > Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII bass

    I think that is my complete digital chain.

    The Gustard and the VR5 are the two mainstays. I reserve the right to change everything else at my discretion.
    Last edited by nc42acc; 01-03-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    Marty

  10. #50
    Ok guys. I'm out of this conversation. I'll be in my rubber room if anyone want to chat.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese Tube Amps
    By FrantzM in forum The HiFi Miser Forum-As Discussed By Andre Marc
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 11:05 AM
  2. How heavy is your Turntable ?
    By Dre_J in forum Turntable Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM
  3. Chinese New Year 2014
    By garylkoh in forum General Misc Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM
  4. FS: CDs Jazz/Fusion Heavy Rock
    By Wasatch in forum Buy and Sell Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •