Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Frantz I know this problem too well myself.

I don't think the Gustard is a knockoff, it is an in house design from what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    There is however a resistance from many when it comes to Chinese products. I started a few weeks ago a thread on Chinese Amplifiers some of them I have heard and are extremely good price be damned.. The thread died very quickly. Often there will be the intonation of how Chinese are very lax (I am being nice) on Intellectual property. The great irony is that most countries including the USA have done the same when in their early Industrialization period... Boomerang Karmic Effect?

At that price I will likely take the plunge .. Only problem I have too many DACs laying around I need to purge the closet first
    Marty

Seems that most people around here buy products for status, rather than sound. Why do you think the turntable threads are so popular. So I wouldn't expect much interest in this. The only way people would take it seriously, is if you put the boards in a new case with a North Amercian or European name on the case, and sold it for 10x the price. Then you would have people raving about it

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Seems that most people around here buy products for status, rather than sound. Why do you think the turntable threads are so popular. So I wouldn't expect much interest in this. The only way people would take it seriously, is if you put the boards in a new case with a North Amercian or European name on the case, and sold it for 10x the price. Then you would have people raving about it
    Mods how long do you intend this to continue? Please let us know how to get such concessions, sometimes it's real fun relaxing by trolling

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    You could have left out the turntable part as my VPI prime sounds OUTSTANDING. You are correct on the pride of ownership many times trumps sound quality in this industry. Not me I just want it to sound good!

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Mods how long do you intend this to continue? Please let us know how to get such concessions, sometimes it's real fun relaxing by trolling
    This is a digital thread, why are you here? You analog guys sure are touchy. We don't see this behaviour from the digital fans.

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    You could have left out the turntable part as my VPI prime sounds OUTSTANDING. You are correct on the pride of ownership many times trumps sound quality in this industry. Not me I just want it to sound good!
    I never said turntables can't sound great, but I think there's a lot more to turntable ownership than just practicality, and sound.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    (...) Only problem I have too many DACs laying around I need to purge the closet first
    Great New Year resolution ... You are a happy man to have only a closet, I have a filled garage to empty!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , the Forsell Air Force One, the ARC Phono 2SE and the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : ARC REF40 + ARC REF250, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage feet ...

Have you guys heard the Chord FPGA DACs yet?

I'm finding better sound with that than most Sabre chip implementations.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Sources PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC, VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4 Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, SR & Furutech NCF outlets, various SR and Shunyata ac cables, Shunyata Denali Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Have you guys heard the Chord FPGA DACs yet?

I'm finding better sound with that than most Sabre chip implementations.
    The problem with most Sabre chip designs are weak output stages. Not the case with this DAC. The Sabre brightness, some people talk about isn't even from the chip, it's from undersized ic opamp based output stages. The 9018 chip is a 8 channel DAC, and the output stage must sink a lot of current when the channels are paralleled. When built undersized, you run into an edgy sound. Proper engineering overcomes this.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Why donīt you focus on products and forget about the owners? As far as I know this is an audio forum, not a therapy group!
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's , the Forsell Air Force One, the ARC Phono 2SE and the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : ARC REF40 + ARC REF250, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage feet ...

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast