Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

prerich

May 21, 2012
I just purchased a Gustard x16 that I'm giddy about!!! It's a nice piece of work and is possibly the cleanest dac that I've heard. It also test very well.

Reactions: CKKeung

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Wow, that's good to hear. I was just getting twitchy about trying a different DAC, but everytime I listen to my modified Gustard it's sounds darned good. It does have an annoying tendency to cut out about once every 2-3 weeks, which causes the heart rate to rise until I realize I just need to power cycle the DAC and the music plays as usual. Everything on the display looks normal--just no music comes through. I haven't seen this reported anywhere else. Again, not a show stopper, just kinda annoying.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I just purchased a Gustard x16 that I'm giddy about!!! It's a nice piece of work and is possibly the cleanest dac that I've heard. It also test very well.
Did you mean X26?

prerich

May 21, 2012
Did you mean X26?
No...the X16 it's a MQA (not interested in the MQA part) capable Dac with the ESS ES9068AS chip(x2) and the new OPA1612A opamps. This unit knocks it out of the park on the test bench and if I would describe its sound - Clear and very clean! Kinda like playing outside on a 93 degree day and someone gives you fresh pure water with a large hunk of ice made from the same pure water (bet ya didn't hear that analogy before).
You can take Stereophile Recommended components ratings with a grain of salt - but the OKTO Dac 8 Stereo was rated class A+ for Dacs...at the time of it's testing - the only DAC that beat the X16 on the bench was the Okto Dac 8...just barely!!! The Okto 8 also cost a lot more than the $500 Gustard X16. I will quote ASR "If you have noise in your system, this is NOT the place to look". The only real rub I have on it is the tiny screen. I need to get in bifocal range to read it!!!!

Last edited:

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
No...the X16 it's a MQA (not interested in the MQA part) capable Dac with the ESS ES9068AS chip(x2) and the new OPA1612A opamps. This unit knocks it out of the park on the test bench and if I would describe its sound - Clear and very clean! Kinda like playing outside on a 93 degree day and someone gives you fresh pure water with a large hunk of ice made from the same pure water (bet ya didn't hear that analogy before).
You can take Stereophile Recommended components ratings with a grain of salt - but the OKTO Dac 8 Stereo was rated class A+ for Dacs...at the time of it's testing - the only DAC that beat the X16 on the bench was the Okto Dac 8...just barely!!! The Okto 8 also cost a lot more than the $500 Gustard X16. I will quote ASR "If you have noise in your system, this is NOT the place to look". The only real rub I have on it is the tiny screen. I need to get in bifocal range to read it!!!!
Sounds great. Congrats!

Reactions: prerich

prerich

May 21, 2012
There's a new dac sheriff in town...The Topping d90se!!!!!

Reactions: K3RMIT

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
funny I feel odd to post about these dacs as well. I own the gustard and the topping. I do own much more exp dacs as well. the gustard seems warm of neutral , topping more neutral . my first impression on both is how changing the settings varies the sound . PCM and dsd need to sound different and if settings are not setup for this it’s kind of bunched together. more exp dacs allow for less fiddling. for anyone who uses HQ player too many choices make for a less then optimum sound unless all settings have been set . where exp dacs seem to be less sensitive to music we play. so far mostly headphones for both and for anyone who likes headphones but does have a speaker setup too , headphones can get you to the right place faster. less exp dacs are less sensitive to the player we use , server and settings. again more money less fiddling is my thoughts. please continue to post on these dacs I think it helps all.

coldbru

Jul 14, 2022
poling this thread... Has anyone heard the Gustard X26 Pro vs Topping D90se? DACs from Chord? or Mola Mola etc?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing