Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post
    Conjecture, for sure. Even if it is a hybrid from Dustin does not mean a pure simple discrete would not be better. You have to listen to know anything. As long as the signal goes through an op amp....it is colored by it (in my experience). Of course, I am always open to learning something new. If a hybrid circuit could beat a single discrete stage I am all for it.
    I heard IC opamps can't be beat above 100Hz. It's the low frequencies that cause the problems, so somehow this hybrid designs makes for the best of both worlds eliminating the heat caused by the low frequencies in the IC opamps.
    Last edited by Blizzard; 01-20-2016 at 08:33 PM.

When you have A/Bed his circuit with all the thousands of discrete only circuits in the world and have something concrete to share...then please do. The proof is in the listening! I am all ears. Please tell me something you know from direct experience.

When you have A/Bed his circuit with all the thousands of discrete only circuits in the world and have something concrete to share...then please do. The proof is in the listening! I am all ears. Please tell me something you know from direct experience.
    Marty is the ears so far on this thread. You read what he had to say. He has some pretty killer speakers to listen to it on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I would love to measure it. But it is cheap enough that if I see it at CES, I could try to buy one. If I fail, and you like to see it measured, I would be game.
    You can order them on ebay.

What does Marty's speakers and listening have to do with A/Bing a circuit that you don't even know exists in the product versus 1000 other possible circuits? He is just stating how good the DAC is. I have no doubt about what he said. The opamps in the DAC are not even near the discrete stage. Please stick to facts you know to be true. Your quote at the bottom of your posts is about honesty. What do you honestly know? Certainly nothing about this output stage.

What does Marty's speakers and listening have to do with A/Bing a circuit that you don't even know exists in the product versus 1000 other possible circuits? He is just stating how good the DAC is. I have no doubt about what he said. The opamps in the DAC are not even near the discrete stage. Please stick to facts you know to be true. Your quote at the bottom of your posts is about honesty. What do you honestly know? Certainly nothing about this output stage.
    If the opamps aren't for the output stage, what are they for? Are they before the DAC chips in the digital domain? If not they are part of the output stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    This guy isn't a fool. Between him and Martin Mallinson, they have over 100 patents for digital and analog design to their names. Now they own all of Wolfson's technology as well. He is the #1 digital audio engineer in the world today. He would have listened to it as well as made sure it measured awesome. He was telling me IC opamps can't be beat above 100Hz. It's the low frequencies that cause the problems, so somehow this hybrid designs makes for the best of both worlds eliminating the heat caused by the low frequencies in the IC opamps.
    Maybe, but we speak of ANALOG output stage here, so not necessarily his forte.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Maybe, but we speak of ANALOG output stage here, so not necessarily his forte.
    He designs digital to analog chips for a living. Half of his patents are for analog circuits. Do you really think he can't design an output stage? That's like kindergarten level compared to what he usually does. I'm really not sure why anyone should think that this output stage is anything short of SOTA. Combined with Hqplayer, I wouldn't doubt it if it could out do the Lampi GG certainly better clocks and measurements.

Anyways I have no concrete proof of who designed this output stage, but it looks like a real nice design to me.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    I don't think anyone should dismiss the Chinese audio market. At the current selling price of under $800.00 you are not talking a huge financial investment.
    Marty

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I don't think anyone should dismiss the Chinese audio market. At the current selling price of under $800.00 you are not talking a huge financial investment.
    There is however a resistance from many when it comes to Chinese products. I started a few weeks ago a thread on Chinese Amplifiers some of them I have heard and are extremely good price be damned.. The thread died very quickly. Often there will be the intonation of how Chinese are very lax (I am being nice) on Intellectual property. The great irony is that most countries including the USA have done the same when in their early Industrialization period... Boomerang Karmic Effect?

At that price I will likely take the plunge .. Only problem I have too many DACs laying around I need to purge the closet first
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast