Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I find everything sensitive to everything. Power cords, line conditioning, AC sockets, using Mad Scientist black discus on AC plugs, dedicated lines, the feet you mount it on, removing the cover (what, you have not tried this?), eliminating or putting super fuse in it, etc. etc. etc. I use a tractor tire inner tube (with very little inflation) and on top of that I have a thick maple slab and then I use the Mad Scientist ceramic feet between the maple block and the component.....very nice combo. Everything matters.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I find everything sensitive to everything. Power cords, line conditioning, AC sockets, using Mad Scientist black discus on AC plugs, dedicated lines, the feet you mount it on, removing the cover (what, you have not tried this?), eliminating or putting super fuse in it, etc. etc. etc. I use a tractor tire inner tube (with very little inflation) and on top of that I have a thick maple slab and then I use the Mad Scientist ceramic feet between the maple block and the component.....very nice combo. Everything matters.

You forgot expectation bias. That's one very powerful tweak the cost's nothing. Well actually maybe not, the more expensive the better it works :)

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I am assuming post #249 is referring to the posts that got deleted. If so, then you should delete #249 as well, since it now looks like you are talking about the Gustard. BTW, the posted DAC that got deleted was AC powered. You could delete post this as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am assuming post #249 is referring to the posts that got deleted. If so, then you should delete #249 as well, since it now looks like you are talking about the Gustard. BTW, the posted DAC that got deleted was AC powered. You could delete post this as well.

where did the posts go?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
They were deleted by the author.

Tom

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Hi

If the price of mods for it to rival a costlier DAC becomes that of the pricier DAC then we are entirely defeating the purpose.. The OP was :"a Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters". I didn't anticipate it needing profound and un-cheap :) mods to do so ... Oh Well...

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi

If the price of mods for it to rival a costlier DAC becomes that of the pricier DAC then we are entirely defeating the purpose.. The OP was :"a Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters". I didn't anticipate it needing profound and un-cheap :) mods to do so ... Oh Well...

His goal is to make it sound like a $10000 DAC instead of a $5000 DAC with about $1000 worth of mods.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I am the OP and the X20 has not needed anything to keep the Vega or Yggy out of my system. I have switched AC cords with great results.

Hi

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am the OP and the X20 has not needed anything to keep the Vega or Yggy out of my system. I have switched AC cords with great results.

Which clocking mode do you prefer? I don't remember you sharing this information.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

There you go! Very interesting better than the Vega in your opinion?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
All defaults. Sharp and Normal on PCM

What's your impressions between the auto clocking and the normal clocking? It uses a completely different way of clocking, and different clocks in the DAC. Most prefer the auto.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Normal has a more focused image, Auto is more open and livelier sound. Both settings are excellent and neither I would consider "wrong". Hope that makes sense.

What's your impressions between the auto clocking and the normal clocking? It uses a completely different way of clocking, and different clocks in the DAC. Most prefer the auto.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Normal has a more focused image, Auto is more open and livelier sound. Both settings are excellent and neither I would consider "wrong". Hope that makes sense.

It just shows how much of a difference different clocking can make.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Last edited:

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Anyone who is trying the X20 needs to experiment with it driving your amp direct. In my system it seems it was made for driving an amp with its higher output voltage. I noticed a very slight loss in dynamics. Again YMMV.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Anyone who is trying the X20 needs to experiment with it driving your amp direct. In my system it seems it was made for driving an amp with its higher output voltage. I noticed a very slight loss in dynamics. Again YMMV.

What amps do you have?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing