Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I have listened to the Schiit Bifrost with the AK4490 DAC chip, very lifeless and unimpressed. I know it is not all about the actual converter chips.
    +1,my Bifrost was pretty bad compared to the Vega and Sony HAP. But it was better than the TEAC 501.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    The multi bit conversion made it a much better DAC but still lifeless and very "digital"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    +1,my Bifrost was pretty bad compared to the Vega and Sony HAP. But it was better than the TEAC 501.
    Marty

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    The multi bit conversion made it a much better DAC but still lifeless and very "digital"
    Yeah, I was actually waiting for the Yggy to come out, but after owning the Bifrost I decided to go another direction... it's not a good sound imo. I like the concept of Schiit, made in USA, no middleman, no sales, etc. but the performance needs to be there too, and the attitude towards DSD is inexplicable. When the Sony HAP came out it redefined value for digital sources imo an d an all-in-one box that requires no computer, USB interface, etc is compelling. But times are moving on it seems, and the Roon interface is leagues better than the Sony HAP interface too.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

I had high hopes for the Yggydrasil with the cult following. It is a good DAC but just not what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Yeah, I was actually waiting for the Yggy to come out, but after owning the Bifrost I decided to go another direction... it's not a good sound imo. I like the concept of Schiit, made in USA, no middleman, no sales, etc. but the performance needs to be there too, and the attitude towards DSD is inexplicable. When the Sony HAP came out it redefined value for digital sources imo an d an all-in-one box that requires no computer, USB interface, etc is compelling. But times are moving on it seems, and the Roon interface is leagues better than the Sony HAP interface too.
    Marty

Banned
    I had high hopes for the Yggydrasil with the cult following. It is a good DAC but just not what I was looking for.
    My son got the Bitfrost DAC. Isolation from USB was so poor that he could hear the noise from his PC as he played games! I measured it and it had a nasty jitter in addition to that -- the highest I have ever measured on S/PDIF -- on one of its inputs.

He also bought an interconnect from them and it was so poorly soldered that the solder from the center pin broke after a day.

He returned them all and bought the Oppo DAC-1 and has been quite happy other than volume control not keeping the levels the same on both channels as you adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Schultz View Post
    What does Marty's speakers and listening have to do with A/Bing a circuit that you don't even know exists in the product versus 1000 other possible circuits? He is just stating how good the DAC is. I have no doubt about what he said. The opamps in the DAC are not even near the discrete stage. Please stick to facts you know to be true. Your quote at the bottom of your posts is about honesty. What do you honestly know? Certainly nothing about this output stage.
    Ric,

This is his song! Like audio Raman Noodles. Just add water and instant audio expert.

Amir you are giving me hope that I can still hear. My ears were not lying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    My son got the Bitfrost DAC. Isolation from USB was so poor that he could hear the noise from his PC as he played games! I measured it and it had a nasty jitter in addition to that -- the highest I have ever measured on S/PDIF -- on one of its inputs.

He also bought an interconnect from them and it was so poorly soldered that the solder from the center pin broke after a day.

He returned them all and bought the Oppo DAC-1 and has been quite happy other than volume control not keeping the levels the same on both channels as you adjust.
    Marty

I find when things have a cult following, it's usually more based on religious beliefs than reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BobShermanEsq View Post
    Ric,

This is his song! Like audio Raman Noodles. Just add water and instant audio expert.

According to Ric, the IC opamps are in the digital section.

I have listened to the Schiit Bifrost with the AK4490 DAC chip, very lifeless and unimpressed. I know it is not all about the actual converter chips.
    Goes to show that's there much more to a good DAC than the chip. Definitely not the case with my AK4490 based DAC.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast