Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I would like to hear it. Although I'm a firm believe that these coloration's can be added in the digital domain.
    It might be possible, but part of the advantage of the Aikido is it's simplicity. Sure, it's more complicated vs a single triode but the signal path isn't much different and it's much less complex vs most SS designs. This results in hearing more of the music in a better way, since the circuit is so simple you lose less detail... you need to try it to really see what I'm saying. It's not just about pleasant colorations, it's about preserving the music by using fewer parts and making sure what parts are used are the highest quality. This is the approach lampi uses and the advantages are far more than some pleasant distortions. This part of a tube circuits performance can't be recreated digitally, it can only happen by being very careful with the signal and not sending it through too many parts.
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    It might be possible, but part of the advantage of the Aikido is it's simplicity. Sure, it's more complicated vs a single triode but the signal path isn't much different and it's much less complex vs most SS designs. This results in hearing more of the music in a better way, since the circuit is so simple you lose less detail... you need to try it to really see what I'm saying. It's not just about pleasant colorations, it's about preserving the music by using fewer parts and making sure what parts are used are the highest quality. This is the approach lampi uses and the advantages are far more than some pleasant distortions. This part of a tube circuits performance can't be recreated digitally, it can only happen by being very careful with the signal and not sending it through too many parts.
    I would love to compare with a simple transistor based design like this:

http://www.sonicimagerylabs.com/prod...Amp-Ticha.html

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Dave

I would not bet against digital. In a short while we are discussing abut a $800 DAC as a challenger. I have the Auralic Vega and will acquire this little thing.. Will report then. I do not subscribe to the notion of too many parts makes the sound worse.. The circuit negate your assertion.
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Hey Mike have you seen this new DAC from Teac?

http://www.teac.com/product/ud-503/

Maybe try HQplayer. The AKM AK4490's "velvet sound" filters do a fantastic job as well. And as you have said repeatedly, bughead, why do you think it sounds so good? All examples of coloration's introduced in the digital domain.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Wisnon don't think you have been around the last few days. Blizzard has done the forum to death. Best not to debate with him. He gets on multiple threads trolling
    even though you are trolling in my subforum now, don't worry I won't cry. That would be wayyyyy too analog of a thing for me to do

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post

Yes I have. I was going to actually bring it up. I'm thinking combined with HQplayer/NAA it would be outstanding.

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Yes I have. I was going to actually bring it up. I'm thinking combined with HQplayer/NAA it would be outstanding.
    The 501 kinda sucked. Maybe the 503 is better...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post

Looks like the price for this has dropped from $1,700 to $1000 or so which makes it a more direct competitor to the Chinese one in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tomelex View Post
    I liked what I saw but I did not see anything about IMD at say 3Vrms output or any other output for that matter. Not showing IMD at least the old school test for it is not honest IMO, If IMD stood up as well as simple THD+N then they would get my interest. IMD is much more telling in analog as we all know.

Also, no spectrum plots either......this is telling as well. These guys need to show what they really have.

The Akido will swing a lot of voltage of course, and that's one of its strong points, as well as a pretty nice distortion spectrum.

The OP Chinese unit looks interesting.
    The 600 ohm spec is the standard one for an op-amp like this. This thing is a powerhouse, it can sink or source 150ma with only 0.0005% THD+N.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    I have listened to the Schiit Bifrost with the AK4490 DAC chip, very lifeless and unimpressed. I know it is not all about the actual converter chips.

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Looks like the price for this has dropped from $1,700 to $1000 or so which makes it a more direct competitor to the Chinese one in this thread.
    Marty

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast