Balanced phono chain

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Yes, some people do. Because many phono cartridges have a balanced output it's not hard to do. I have seen a few posts in that 77,000 post long John Curl thread. And a few short threads other places (that I can't find at the moment).

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Thanks Kevin, are you by chance balanced from cartridge to preamp? Cartridges by nature are balanced unless they have a common ground strap at the pins.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I used to do this awhile back. Had a Lyra Helicon then Lyra Skala at the time. Purist Audio cabling. BAT VKP10SE w/superpak phono stage. It was very good. I had singled ended cabling at first from the tonearm din to BAT phono. A balanced cable certainly helped (lower noise - more resolution). Phono to pre (BAT VK51SE) was balanced.

I've since moved on a Nagra VPS and back to single ended cabling. I think both topologies work. In my experience it depends on your phono stage...if it can do balanced...should likely do it. But single ended phono stages can sound very fine too...in the end...I wouldn't pick balanced just b/c it's balanced...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi JFrech,

I am running balanced direct from the tip of my cartridge all the way through the chain. I am running Lyra Kleos > triplanar ultimate > BMC mcci phono > ARC ref 3 > Krell 750 mcx > speakers.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I used to run balanced with the Trinity phono, it is a good idea as the cartridge is inherently balanced.
Everything else is balanced ,Bruno recommends it.
Keith.

Hi Keith,

Yeah - it makes a lot of sense going this route for a super delicate signal like this. Do you run your cartridge single ended into the Illusonic or via a phono?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Jfrech thanks for the input. Basically it can be great either way with the biggest factor the phono preamp.

That's my experience. I've had great fully balanced and great single ended phono set ups. I think the correct answer for each of us is what sounds best/matched in our systems. Lot's of permutations.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Also the selection of phono preamps that do both balanced input and output are not as prevalent in the market.

Especially with tube circuits too. The Thrax Orpheus looks an interesting one I thought.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Hi Keith,

Yeah - it makes a lot of sense going this route for a super delicate signal like this. Do you run your cartridge single ended into the Illusonic or via a phono?
Everything just plugs into the Illusonic, the phono input is single ended, but I am sure Christof would make a balanced input if a customer particularly requested it, noise from the Phono is zero.
In fact noise from the Illusonic /Molas is zero.
Keith..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That's my experience. I've had great fully balanced and great single ended phono set ups. I think the correct answer for each of us is what sounds best/matched in our systems. Lot's of permutations.

Surely. I own the Audio Research phono REF2 (SE input) and the the Atmasphere MP-1 (balanced input). I enjoy both!

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I do balanced from start to finish: Kleos -> VPI XLR output box -> Channel D Seta L -> Schiit Ragnarok (preamp/volume control) -> Event Opal monitors

I strongly agree with others; balanced transmission really makes sense in a phono application due to noise rejection, grounding etc...

thekong

May 10, 2012
I have always wondered why there are so few phonos with true balanced input!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing