Ray Samuels Phono Stage?

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
In my search for a phono stage to replace my Rowland Consummate I came across a couple pretty positive reviews for Ray Samuels's phono stages. His F-117 seems to have a lot more press than the XR-10B, but the XR-10B reviews were pretty glowing. It also looks like Mr. Samuels is doing pretty well in the portable amp and headphone amp arenas, although he still makes and sells phono stages.

Thanks in advance for any input on any of Samuels's products, and specifically his phono stages.

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
ACHiPo

Not sure if this reply is stale for you.

Borrowed the F117 for a weekend. I have used an EAR 834p in my 864 preamp for about fourteen years, Audible Illusions 2D for five years before that and numerous phono stages while owning the 864 preamp. The F-117 performs beyond it's price point, as far as cleanliness and precision of its performance. It's almost noiseless, almost digital in its quiet. Imaging is very good for twice the price. Depending on what you like it could be wonderful. Was too "stiff" and insufficiently nuanced for my taste. Whether it will satisfy you depends on what you're looking for. Without deriding it, I can appreciate the Nighthawk's performance while not being sold on it, either.

For me and my budget, I'd spend more and look at the Tom Evans Microgroove +. TEM+ was as detailed, imaged better and was a more nuanced performance. TEM+ shares a bit of the F-117's precision, but does it with more finesse and with better differentiation of tonal colors, so it's more broadly appealing. I can imagine some tube-ophiles liking the TEM+ but not liking the F-117, but can't imagine dig-philes reversing that.

A bogeyman in high performance audio is "perfection." It's not available and only serves to make "seekers" nervous that they're missing out on something that would end their pursuit. If you "just listened to music" instead of analyzing it, you could be happy with the F-117, the TEM+, the EAR 834p or any number of other phono stages. Having said that, I've spent a great deal of time as a seeker, as nearly everyone on this board has, though it's more like everyone on this board, protestations to the contrary.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Muser,
Thanks for the response. I pulled the trigger on a used XR-10B a few months ago. It performs on par with the Rowland Consummate it replaced (no faint praise!). It has incredible dynamics and air, with great details and musicality. I haven't heard the F-117 to compare, but at >3X the F-117's list the XR-10B would be expected to be significantly better.

Initially I did have some RF sensitivity audible at very high gain (~4:30 with max ~5:00), but I was able to resolve this by careful cable routing and pre-amp placement. Now with the preamp volume at max I hear a barely audible hiss--pretty impressive.

I'm running a Lyra Kleos on one arm and a Miyajima Zero mono cartridge on a second arm. It's nice to have a phono stage that can handle multiple inputs without swapping cables.

AC

Muser

Jan 21, 2016
AC

Glad you like your choice. Seems like there is a family resemblance between the XR-10B with more musical nuance at the higher price.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
In my search for a phono stage to replace my Rowland Consummate I came across a couple pretty positive reviews for Ray Samuels's phono stages. His F-117 seems to have a lot more press than the XR-10B, but the XR-10B reviews were pretty glowing. It also looks like Mr. Samuels is doing pretty well in the portable amp and headphone amp arenas, although he still makes and sells phono stages.

Thanks in advance for any input on any of Samuels's products, and specifically his phono stages.

I realise this is an old thread, but hopefully this feedback will assist someone...

I spent a number of years trying to get the NIGHTHAWK phono stage to sing.

Close.JPG

I had read so many rave reviews about the NIGHTHAWK - but simply could not get fully engaged with its sound - that I almost concluded that vinyl just wasn't for me.

Fortunately, I was able to try the superb TRICHORD DELPHINI twin chassis phono stage and I have never looked back. A night and day difference.

As such, I consider the NIGHTHAWK to be a very flexible, budget phono enabler that is very overrated for sound quality.

For those of you underwhelmed by your NIGHTHAWK phono stage, it is NOT your imagination.

Don't give up!

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I realise this is an old thread, but hopefully this feedback will assist someone...

I spent a number of years trying to get the NIGHTHAWK phono stage to sing.

View attachment 120929

I had read so many rave reviews about the NIGHTHAWK - but simply could not get fully engaged with its sound - that I almost concluded that vinyl just wasn't for me.

Fortunately, I was able to try the superb TRICHORD DELPHINI twin chassis phono stage and I have never looked back. A night and day difference.

As such, I consider the NIGHTHAWK to be a very flexible, budget phono enabler that is very overrated for sound quality.

For those of you underwhelmed by your NIGHTHAWK phono stage, it is NOT your imagination.

Don't give up!
Thanks. I still have the Samuels stage, but in fact did give up and move to a Wavestream Kinetics tubed phono stage. The Samuels could sound fantastic, but was prone to some sort of warbling noise that I could eliminate sometimes but not all the time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing