Upgrade TT Power supply or add Phono Pre?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have my Oracle Paris MkV / Dynavector DV20x2L going into the phono input of my Marantz Ref PM-KI-Pearl. The Oracle uses a standard power supply. I like this combination, but I know I can do better. Oracle has a new phono pre (PH-100) that retails for $1,000 and also a Turbo Power supply at the same price. If given the choice, what would you upgrade/add first and why?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I have my Oracle Paris MkV / Dynavector DV20x2L going into the phono input of my Marantz Ref PM-KI-Pearl. The Oracle uses a standard power supply. I like this combination, but I know I can do better. Oracle has a new phono pre (PH-100) that retails for $1,000 and also a Turbo Power supply at the same price. If given the choice, what would you upgrade/add first and why?

Phono Pre

theophile

Power Supply. Then Phono pre.

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
I would go with the phono. It's an important chain for analog front end. Happy spinning!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
John, what does the power supply add specifically to the table? In other words does it also increase the speed control by smoothing out the motor ( is your current version a wall wart model?). If so, I would start there.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, what does the power supply add specifically to the table? In other words does it also increase the speed control by smoothing out the motor ( is your current version a wall wart model?). If so, I would start there.
I don't honestly know Davey! :eek:. I read a review which seemed positive, hence my question. I'd want to listen to it first, which I can at my local dealer. My Paris has speed control adjustments and it has a standard wall wart power supply.

http://www.oracle-audio.com/imagesu..._turbo_power_adaptor_mkii_review_dec_2014.pdf

theophile

Although the situation is very different. I had a similar experience going with the outboard power supply for the GT 2000. Without changing anything else there was an appreciable improvement. If you get the phono pre prior to the power supply, you won't be hearing all that the phono pre can provide. If you get the power supply before the phono pre you will get an improved performance from the turntable then when you upgrade the phono pre you will garner more from that than you would have previously.

Get both. Power supply first.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although the situation is very different. I had a similar experience going with the outboard power supply for the GT 2000. Without changing anything else there was an appreciable improvement. If you get the phono pre prior to the power supply, you won't be hearing all that the phono pre can provide. If you get the power supply before the phono pre you will get an improved performance from the turntable then when you upgrade the phono pre you will garner more from that than you would have previously.

Get both. Power supply first.

I personally find phono pre's to be very difficult to decide on as they are all so different, so I thought getting a matching power supply would make more sense to start with. I tend to agree with you about getting that first.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I don't honestly know Davey! :eek:. I read a review which seemed positive, hence my question. I'd want to listen to it first, which I can at my local dealer. My Paris has speed control adjustments and it has a standard wall wart power supply.

http://www.oracle-audio.com/imagesu..._turbo_power_adaptor_mkii_review_dec_2014.pdf

I think that you would get a nice upgrade from the power supply. Particularly if it allows for more precise speed control. If you go with the source first philosophy, then you work your way out from the front end. This was made pretty clear to me when I upgraded my power supply on my Linn from the standard Valhalla supply to the revised Radikal supply. A BIG lift in SQ. Obviously the phono stage is extremely important, however, I'm not so sure that the particular one you are considering would give you that big a lift. Therefore, as I said before, upgrade the power supply first..and then listen to a few different phono stages when funds allow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing