Mahler 2 vinyl

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi any recommendations for a good quality LP off Mahler 2? I want one for demo purposes.

Is there a good LP of Bernstein's performances?

Thanks in advance

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi any recommendations for a good quality LP off Mahler 2? I want one for demo purposes.

Is there a good LP of Bernstein's performances?

Thanks in advance

Kedar, have you ever listened to the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Zubin Metha? Singers are Ileana Cotrubas and Christa Ludwig. Decca recorded this album in February 1975 in the Sofiensaal in Vienna. The Decca recording engineers were James Lock, Colin Moorfoot and Jack Law while Ray Minshull was the producer. It is a long time ago that I listened to this recording but if I remember correctly it is a (very) good one; the team of recording engineers, the producer and the recording location are any way top notch. My 2 lp box is London FFrr CSA 2242 but I suppose a 'regular' Decca version must be available (in London) as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks, will try it out. haven't heard it

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Kedar, the Decca number is SXL-6744-5. It was a TAS Super Disc, back in the day. Larry

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
A different reading to that of Bernstein , leaner ... faster, not as much heart on sleeve . Check out Gustavo Dudamel's interpretation for a morden recording with merit . Not sure if it has been released on LP . HNY !

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As with all things Mahler each of these will yield a range of opinions. From my perspective each is one of the great 2nds. I don't have enough experience to give suggestions on pressings. Invariably the Resurrection Symphony is a 2 LP release.

==> Note to lurkers who don't do vinyl - all performances mentioned are available on CD, etc.

Mahler's 2nd was a signature piece for Otto Klemperer. His 1963 recording from EMI/Angel made in Kingsway Hall London with the Philharmonia Orchestra features Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossl-Majdan and continues since that day as a thriller. My copy is from Pathe Marconi (French EMI). 2C181-00570/1

"This is an essential recording for any collection: the greatest interpretation of Mahler's Second ever placed before the public, made under ideal studio conditions ...." Review.

The Klemperer is more frequently found with a cover similar to this below. The branding across the top may be Columbia or Angel - 2 albums. I've seen the packaging with two separate covers or as one. COLUMBIA SAX 2473 2474, ANGEL 3634. There is also an EMI UK release as a box with a picture of Klemperer smoking a cigar on the cover. ASD 2691-92 or SLS-806.

Then there is Bruno Walter on Columbia with the New York Philharmonic. I find this an extraordinarily power-filled/gripping/compelling performance and it could be my regular favorite but for the typically crackly vinyl that seems more the rule than the exception for Columbia classical issuances. (Their jazz always seemed to fair better - don't know why.) For optimal sound it really should be played using the Columbia playback curve. M2S 601 (stereo) M2L 256 (mono 6 eye). Truly an unforgettable performance from a man who knew GM personally.

Up next is Sir George Solti with the London Symphony featuring Heather Harper and Helen Watts - likewise recorded in Kingsway Hall in 1966. This is still available as a re-issue. I see it at Music Direct. Probably the best chance for a clean new record. Another strong performance.
DECCA SXL 6113
Speakers Corner

Lastly is Leonard Bernstein. I don't have this on LP, but have it on CD (Sony) as a part of a box set. But it is out there on LP and I know it is a performance worth hearing. The Bernstein Mahler cycle is definitely one to consider owning. The Columbia performance with the New York Philharmonic is the one to have, yet again here its Columbia vinyl so caveat auditor. An intense, personal performance - one of the greats. M2L-295 (mono) M2S 695 (stereo)

I don't know where this cover is release-wise, but it's colorful, almost Dali-esque.

Here is a current DG release (original 1988) mastered by Pallas so it should be decent quality. It's a digital recording - what DG used to Numerique. LB conducting the New York Philharmonic, with soloists Barbara Hendricks, Christa Ludwig and The Westminister Choir. I have this album but have not played it yet; will report back when it hits the top of my backlog stack.

ADGR_40039__89949__02252013103750-1263.jpg

Enjoy classical music records!

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Very nice Tima ! Have been meaning to give the Bruno Walter reading a go . How's the general sound quality of the recording , other than the crackly viynl mentioned . How you on the 9th , any favourtites ? My preference is 9,4,1,2 ... In that order . Getting better acquainted with 3 at present . HNY !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Tima. For audition purposes I use the first movement. If you can, please listen to the Bernstein NY and let me know how the quality is, since I know the performance and like it. Thanks

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Another worthy Mahler 2 is from Rafael Kubelik. He did a cycle with DG and a later cycle with Audite. The DG is the one to have (imo) particularly for his Symphony #1.

And a great way to hear it is via this box set which should be relatively easy to find. DG issued several of these for various composers and too often they sat on the shelf, sometimes with only one or two records played.

Mahler_Kubelik_small.jpg
DG 2720 033

Or an even better offering is The World of the Symphony featuring 10 from Mahler and 7 from Sibelius (the v best of HVK's three Sibelius cycles.)
With the 3 Ks: Kubelik, Karajan and Kamu.

Mahler Sibelius DG 2892009.jpg
DG 2892-009

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks Tima. For audition purposes I use the first movement. If you can, please listen to the Bernstein NY and let me know how the quality is, since I know the performance and like it. Thanks

126973.jpg

Okay, we have liftoff. I pulled the Bernstein Mahler 2 w/ the New York Philharmonic, Hendricks, Ludwig and The Westminsters; cleaned it and played. Surfaces were fine. I"ll cover movement 1 sonics.

At first go I thought 'uh oh, serious digitalitus' (after all it is DG, late 80's multi-mic'd and digital) but then I re-dialed the VTA on my 4Point and voila - some magic appeared. The recording puts you up front close up, sometimes almost on the podium. If the mid orchestra or percussion dynamics seem a tad recessed, try turning up the volume - that's what I did, eventually getting to near concert volume for my room. The work does deserve it. When the needle drops, be in your seat and prepared for the opening double basses; very dynamic with excellent detailing on the bowing techniques. The engineer never forgets about this section throughout the movement. There are hints of peakiness from massed trumpets but only briefly in a few bars. At volume the massive timpani whacks are impressive. IIRC this was recorded live at Avery Fischer and while there is no hint of the audience, there is the zesty excitement of 'live air' to the recording. You can tell the musicians are 'on' for LB and fervid. It's still late 80's, multi-mic'd and digital but overall I'm impressed and quite happy to have it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How is the tone and texture of instruments, also the air

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Very nice Tima ! Have been meaning to give the Bruno Walter reading a go . How's the general sound quality of the recording , other than the crackly viynl mentioned . How you on the 9th , any favourtites ? My preference is 9,4,1,2 ... In that order . Getting better acquainted with 3 at present . HNY !

Yeah, I go through different orderings of favorites myself though #1 will probably always be my favorite favorite. I too like 4 and 2. At this point I don't have a recommendation for the 9th - but I'm open to suggestions!

The Walter 2nd is from 1958 and yes it does have a slight archival cast to it, with the listener being a bit further back in the hall. Still quite listenable if there is a clean copy out there and my what a great performance!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
How is the tone and texture of instruments, also the air

This is all pretty subjective stuff as to degree and quality - at least for me. Timbre is generally fine, overall closer to a 6H30 than an EL34, if you'll take a tube analogy. Plenty of harmonic bloom though I'm not recalling back or sidewall reflection. Articulation is a bit more emphatic for certain sections than others, more so, for example, for those double basses than for the harps and flutes. I'd want to hear the movement a few more times and take more notes before a detailed assessment. In the meantime, HTH.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
As with all things Mahler each of these will yield a range of opinions. From my perspective each is one of the great 2nds. I don't have enough experience to give suggestions on pressings. Invariably the Resurrection Symphony is a 2 LP release.

Mahler's 2nd was a signature piece for Otto Klemperer. His 1963 recording from EMI/Angel made in Kingsway Hall London with the Philharmonia Orchestra features Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossl-Majdan and continues since that day as a thriller. My copy is from Pathe Marconi (French EMI). 2C181-00570/1

This is an essential recording for any collection: the greatest interpretation of Mahler's Second ever placed before the public, made under ideal studio conditions "
The Klemperer is more frequently found with a cover similar to this below. The branding across the top may be Columbia or Angel - 2 albums. I've seen the packaging with two separate covers or as one. COLUMBIA SAX 2473 2474, ANGEL 3634. There is also an EMI UK release as a box with a picture of Klemperer smoking a cigar on the cover. ASD 2691-92 or SLS-806.

Then there is Bruno Walter on Columbia with the New York Philharmonic. I find this an extraordinarily power-filled/gripping/compelling performance and it could be my regular favorite but for the typically crackly vinyl that seems more the rule than the exception for Columbia classical issuances. (Their jazz always seemed to fair better - don't know why.) For optimal sound it really should be played using the Columbia playback curve. M2S 601 (stereo) M2L 256 (mono 6 eye). Truly an unforgettable performance from a man who knew GM personally.

Thanks for the summary! You've hit most all of my favorites. The Klemperer reissue was done on the EMI ASD/SLS series, I believe, about the time that Walter Legge left EMI, around 1963. He had resusicitated Klemperer's career after the war, and Klemperer had essentially become the house conductor for Legge's Philharmonia Orchestra on the EMI Columbia label, which Legge essentially ran in parallel to the other EMI HMV ASD label. After Legge left (his wife Elizabeth Schwarzkopf continued to record for EMI and Legge would produce her recordings) the Columbia label was discontinued and everything got merged into the EMI HMV labels. Schwarzkopf not coincidentally appears on the Mahler 2. I have the Columbia SAX pressing.

The EMI Columbia records have become quite expensive in the used market and one can find the EMI ASD/SLS reissues from the mid '60's at much more reasonable prices. The complete Beethoven and Brahms symphonies are just a few of the reissues, along with many of the Callas recordings (another Legge discovery).

I learned the Mahler 2nd on the Walter recording from the late 50's or early 60's. Very fine performance indeed. Walter was assistant conductor to Mahler and he conducted the premiere of Das Lied von der Erde and Mahler's Ninth symphony. The second half of the concert with "Das Lied" was Mahler's 2nd! BTW, one of the TAS Superdiscs is Walter conducting Mahler's 1st.

One very interesting story about Mahler's 2nd is that of Gilbert Kaplan, an American investment publisher and Mahler aficionado who passed away on this past New Year's day. He was not a trained musician, but after he sold his publishing business, he learned how to conduct, particularly Mahler's 2nd. He recorded it twice, once with the LSO and then the Vienna Phil. He performed it 50 times with major orchestras and his performances were generally very well regarded. You can read more about him in wiki.

Larry

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One very interesting story about Mahler's 2nd is that of Gilbert Kaplan, an American investment publisher and Mahler aficionado who passed away on this past New Year's day. He was not a trained musician, but after he sold his publishing business, he learned how to conduct, particularly Mahler's 2nd. He recorded it twice, once with the LSO and then the Vienna Phil. He performed it 50 times with major orchestras and his performances were generally very well regarded. You can read more about him in wiki.

Larry

I have one of the Kaplan recordings with the LSO... not every orchestra thought highly of him, and I have to admit, I find his 2nd mediocre at best. For more on what the NYP called "an imposter" and his music career a "woefully sad farce" see http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/arts/music/18kapl.html

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks for a very informative reply, Larry!

Speakers Corner has been releasing quite a bit from the Columbia catalog recently. I'll have to ask Kai Seeman if they have access to tape for the Klemperer or Walter.

However you gauge Kaplan's performances (I have his 2nd with the Wieners on DG - not vinyl) it's pretty impressive he chose to do what he did and achieved his goal sufficient to actually stand on the podium conducting some impressive orchestras.

And thanks ack & RJ for the links.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There have been a number of Mahler discussions on several threads. The most recent has been on Steve’s Listening room thread (#1523-1536)

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...om-Of-Steve-Williams/page154&highlight=mahler

#1536 has prompted several PMs. One of the discussion items that came up is the interesting topic of whether one would prefer an LP version to a CD version of the same work. Obviously this conversation can get charged as it delves into philosophy as well as musical taste. Discussions of whether one prefers content over format are obvious topics for lively debate.

Personally, while I acknowledge the general superiority of a good LP over a digital performance, there are no hard and fast rules for a recorded body of work as deep as Mahler’s. In general, I prefer content over format, but that’s just a personal bias. Good recordings of both can be easy to enjoy whereas bad recordings of either format are best avoided like the plague.

I thought it might be best to move any additional discussion of the Mahler “format” topic to a Mahler thread rather than to continue to commandeer Steve’s systems thread.

What I have done below therefore, it to review Tony Duggan’s excellent and yeoman synoptic review of Mahler’s works and sort of summarized mostly what he thinks are the best available versions on both LP and CD.

Mahler 1
CD Bernstein ConcertgebouwDG, Chailly Concertgebouw, Decca
LP Kubelik Audite (average sound) Kubelik , Vienna Decca (apparently not good sound?); Horenstein Unicorn

Mahler 2
CD Kemperer EMI 1965 Live Munich
SACD Fischer, Budapest
LP Kubelik, DGG, 139 332/33 SLPM? Or 413 524-1
LP Mehta Decca ?– SXL 6744-5

Of course, this was the topic of the OP so there are lots of additional opinions to be gained by reading earlier posts in this thread

Mahler 3
LP Bernstein NY Phil 1962 Columbia/CBS
LP Horenstein LSO Unicorn

Mahler 4
LP Fritz Reiner RCA living stereo
CD Tilson Thomas SACD

Mahler 5
Bernstein 62 Columbia NY Phil
Barshai Junge Deutsche Philharmonie on Laurel and Brilliant Classics (93719)

The notes below duplicate my comments from the post of Steve’s thread above, (#1536) that started the rash of PMs that followed. Mahler’s Fifth is considered the first of Mahler’s mature works and as such it is a masterpiece of enormous proportions, Musical polar opposites are presented side by side - tragedy and joy, depression and mania, pain and pleasure, despair and hope, etc. In the words of Tony Duggan “It is such a supreme test for conductor and orchestra because it challenges them to explore extremes of expression whilst maintaining a unity of purpose that ultimately leads to satisfaction”. Of all his symphonies, the 5th probably travels the most emotional distance of all his works. As Herbert Von Karajan once observed: "When you get to the end you find you have forgotten what age you were when you started." It’s a tall order to conduct this well and cover all the emotional bases therefore it really separates the real Mahlerites from the wannabe’s. Most are good at the dramatic/tragic/dark end of the work but fewer appreciate the need to bring out the fantastic/joyful/light end that balances the piece across the whole range. Even less can balance the two perfectly.

That said, I have two favorites. Bernstein’s Fifth with the Vienna is a performance of thrilling power and eloquence. The huge dynamic range of the recording in the opening pages is indicative of what is to come. This is a performance that storms the heights and depths of this work like no other. It is no accident that Bernstein is single-handedly responsible for the dramatic rise in Mahler’s popularity as a composer in the latter part of the 20th century as he championed him vigorously throughout his career. Bernstein has an affinity for Mahler that is palpable and in this recording, it is as obvious as it gets. Simply put, Lenny owns this piece flat out. (Everyone probably knows that Mahler was a tormented Jew who lost his position as the conductor of the Vienna due to anti-semitism and then conducted the NY Philharmonic in the early 1900s; whereas Bernstein was tormented, Jewish and the conductor of the NY Phil in the mid 1900’s. That here, Bernstein is conducting the band that threw Mahler out is an irony which I have always appreciated).

However, Tony Duggan thinks that perhaps the greatest Mahler 5th is by a lesser known conductor Rudolf Barshai with the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie on Laurel and Brilliant Classics (93719). It is a live, one-off performance in 1999 where what the audience heard is what we hear. This may go some way towards making it the exceptional recording it is because the challenges of "live" performance often bring a sense of drama that no studio production can match. Now, ordinarily, you would not put a relatively unknown student orchestra in the same league with best orchestras to play Mahler, such as the Concertgebouw, the Vienna and the Berlin no matter how gifted. But one listen to this and you won’t care, the performance here is simply stunning. Whatever the reasons, it is a perfectly balanced rendition; powerful when it needs to be yet beautifully contemplative throughout as well.

My preference between these two probably depends more on the mood I am in when I listen than anything I can point to specifically in these equally fantastic versions.

Mahler 6
CD Sanderling; St Petersburg, unavailable?
CD Jansons LSO live
LP Horenstein BBCL 4051-2

Mahler 7
LP Bernstein Columbia/Sony 61/66 NYPhil
CD Tilson Thomas London Symphony Orchestra on RCA 09026 63510 2

Mahler 8
CD Abbado DG (445 843-2)
CD Horenstein BBC Legends (BBCL 4001-7) mono

Mahler 9
CD Rattle Birmingham 2007 EMI
LP Haitink Concertgebouw Philips

It is important to keep in mind a few things when reading the notes above. First, I am no expert in what are considered the best Mahler performances although I have my preferences. But mostly, if you buy one of these and think the sonic quality is less than good, please don’t confuse the messenger with the message. I’m merely relaying Tony Duggan’s recommendations. I then went to Discogs and when one of his top picks appears to be available as an LP, I simply listed it as such. Tony has said that he doesn’t perseverate about sound quality, but only that he will not list a recommendation if the sound quality is poor. That doesn’t mean all of his picks (either CD or LP) will be sonic masterpieces. That is for us to assess individually. If however, you have some personal experience with any of his choices, by all means, please share them with us (as many have already done for Mahler 2 earlier in the thread).

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome post, thanks, Marty. BTW, for anyone interest, i happen to have 2 of the rare Sanderling Mahler 6th Symphony...incredibly expensive/difficult to find. nice symphony though!

There have been a number of Mahler discussions on several threads. The most recent has been on Steve’s Listening room thread (#1523-1536)

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...om-Of-Steve-Williams/page154&highlight=mahler

#1536 has prompted several PMs. One of the discussion items that came up is the interesting topic of whether one would prefer an LP version to a CD version of the same work. Obviously this conversation can get charged as it delves into philosophy as well as musical taste. Discussions of whether one prefers content over format are obvious topics for lively debate.

Personally, while I acknowledge the general superiority of a good LP over a digital performance, there are no hard and fast rules for a recorded body of work as deep as Mahler’s. In general, I prefer content over format, but that’s just a personal bias. Good recording of both can be easy to enjoy whereas bad recordings of either format are best avoided like the plague.

I thought it might be best to move any additional discussion of the Mahler “format? topic to a Mahler thread rather than to continue to commandeer Steve’s systems thread.

What I have done below therefore, it to review Tony Duggan’s excellent and yeoman synoptic review of Mahler’s works and sort of summarized mostly what he thinks are the best available versions on both LP and CD.

Mahler 1
CD Bernstein ConcertgebouwDG, Chailly Concertgebouw, Decca
LP Kubelik Audite (average sound) Kubelik , Vienna Decca (apparently not good sound?); Horenstein Unicorn

Mahler 2
CD Kemperer EMI 1965 Live Munich
SACD Fischer, Budapest
LP Kubelik, DGG, 139 332/33 SLPM? Or 413 524-1
LP Mehta Decca ?– SXL 6744-5

Of course, this was the topic of the OP so there are lots of additional opinions to be gained by reading earlier posts in this thread

Mahler 3
LP Bernstein NY Phil 1962 Columbia/CBS
LP Horenstein LSO Unicorn

Mahler 4
LP Fritz Reiner RCA living stereo
CD Tilson Thomas SACD

Mahler 5
Bernstein 62 Columbia NY Phil
Barshai Junge Deutsche Philharmonie on Laurel and Brilliant Classics (93719)

The notes below duplicate my comments from the post of Steve’s thread above, (#1536) that started the rash of PMs that followed. Mahler’s Fifth is considered the first of Mahler’s mature works and as such it is a masterpiece of enormous proportions, Musical polar opposites are presented side by side - tragedy and joy, depression and mania, pain and pleasure, despair and hope, etc. In the words of Tony Duggan “It is such a supreme test for conductor and orchestra because it challenges them to explore extremes of expression whilst maintaining a unity of purpose that ultimately leads to satisfaction”. Of all his symphonies, the 5th probably travels the most emotional distance of all his works. As Herbert Von Karajan once observed: "When you get to the end you find you have forgotten what age you were when you started." It’s a tall order to conduct this well and cover all the emotional bases therefore it really separates the real Mahlerites from the wannabe’s. Most are good at the dramatic/tragic/dark end of the work but fewer appreciate the need to bring out the fantastic/joyful/light end that balances the piece across the whole range. Even less can balance the two perfectly.

That said, I have two favorites. Bernstein’s Fifth with the Vienna is a performance of thrilling power and eloquence. The huge dynamic range of the recording in the opening pages is indicative of what is to come. This is a performance that storms the heights and depths of this work like no other. It is no accident that Bernstein is single-handedly responsible for the dramatic rise in Mahler’s popularity as a composer in the latter part of the 20th century as he championed him vigorously throughout his career. Bernstein has an affinity for Mahler that is palpable and in this recording, it is as obvious as it gets. Simply put, Lenny owns this piece flat out. (Everyone probably knows that Mahler was a tormented Jew who lost his position as the conductor of the Vienna due to anti-semitism and then conducted the NY Philharmonic in the early 1900s; whereas Bernstein was tormented, Jewish and the conductor of the NY Phil in the mid 1900’s. That here, Bernstein is conducting the band that threw Mahler out is an irony which I have always appreciated).

However, Tony Duggan thinks that perhaps the greatest Mahler 5th is by a lesser known conductor Rudolf Barshai with the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie on Laurel and Brilliant Classics (93719). It is a live, one-off performance in 1999 where what the audience heard is what we hear. This may go some way towards making it the exceptional recording it is because the challenges of "live" performance often bring a sense of drama that no studio production can match. Now, ordinarily, you would not put a relatively unknown student orchestra in the same league with best orchestras to play Mahler, such as the Concertgebouw, the Vienna and the Berlin no matter how gifted. But one listen to this and you won’t care, the performance here is simply stunning. Whatever the reasons, it is a perfectly balanced rendition; powerful when it needs to be yet beautifully contemplative throughout as well.

My preference between these two probably depends more on the mood I am in when I listen than anything I can point to specifically in these equally fantastic versions.

Mahler 6
CD Sanderling; St Petersburg, unavailable?
CD Jansons LSO live
LP Horenstein BBCL 4051-2

Mahler 7
LP Sony Columbia/Sony 61/66 NYPhil
CD Tilson Thomas London Symphony Orchestra on RCA 09026 63510 2

Mahler 8
CD Abbado DG (445 843-2)
CD Horenstein BBC Legends (BBCL 4001-7) mono

Mahler 9
CD Rattle Birmingham 2007 EMI
LP Haitink Concertgebouw Philips

It is important to keep in mind a few things when reading th notes above. Fiorst, I am no expert in what are considered the best Mahler performances although I have my preferences. But mostly, if you buy one of these and think the sonic quality is less than good, please don’t confuse the messenger with the message. I’m merely relaying Tony Duggan’s recommendations. I then went to Discogs and when one of his topics appears to be available as an LP, I simply listed it as such. Tony has said that he doesn’t perseverate about sound quality, but only that he will not list a recommendation if the sound quality is poor. That doesn’t mean all of his picks (either CD or LP) will be sonic masterpieces. That is for us to assess individually. If however, you have some personal experience with any of his choices, by all means, please share them with us (as many have already done for Mahler 2 earlier in the thread).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How are people forgetting about Mahler greatest Symphony, ;) Das Lied von der Erde? My favorite is still Klemperer conducting the New Philharmonia, with Fritz Wunderlich and Christa Ludwig.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing