World Music Reboot

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Frantz --

Thanks for the Manu Dibango recommendation. CD on it's way!

+1 on Elis & Tom. A desert island disc to be sure.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Frantz. I managed to get one at half.com. WBF is an expensive hobby....

Since we're on Brazilian singers, I'm listening to this now:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Gary,

You'll like this one on 180 gm vinyl:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The cover says it all - Finest Contemporary Latin Music. And that is exactly what the album is all about. Beautiful recording and music. From Messidor, Made in Germany.

Among the artists featured:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tudo Azul by Velha Guarda da Portela

From Daniel Brown's review:

"Marisa Monte was ideally placed to undust and release samba gems that have fallen on the wayside in this last half-century. Her father Carlos Monte had been one of the directors of one of Rio’s most illustrious samba schools, founded in 1935. Bathed in the music composed by the likes of Chico Santa, Venture and Alvaiade, Marisa took it upon herself to breathe new life into songs that were part of Brazil’s rich musical heritage but that never had been recorded.

The result is 18 little musical nuggets and four bonus tracks that pay homage to these influential composers. Eight years after its Brazilian release, Red Circle Music had the bright idea of putting the hit album onto the international market. The Portela Samba School had a instant impact on dozens of high-profile Brazilian artists including the likes of Caetano Veloso, Lenine and Arto Lindsey (who translates the album lyrics into English, but the booklet has unfortunately not been made available to this reviewer). With songs like “Volta Meu Amor” (featuring Marisa Monte’s voice), “Corri Pra Ver” and “Sempre Teu Amor”, it’s easy to see why. The elder statesmen assembled here are disarmingly powerful in combining trademarks styles like choro and the cuica in classic sambas that have aged like vintage wine. With the subtle arrangements for Paulao’s seven-chord guitar, the biting rhythms of David’s pandeiro tambourine, and the infectious cavaquinho-playing of Jair, there is a solid musical bedrock with which the vocals toy.

The album title will also tickle a smile out of Carioca dwellers. Tudo azul (“all is blue”) reflects the colour that symbolises the Portella school and is an old Brazilian expression meaning “all is well”. Ninety years after what is generally acknowledged as the first samba recording, “Pelo Telefone”, this album is an apt and touching homage to the durability and vitality of Brazil’s national music style. It also brings overdue recognition to retired sambistas (the “Velha Guarda” whose average age is 70) who marked their country’s musical landscape."

A personal desert island disc.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dafos:

Although this is an American production, from RR, the cast has many artists from outside the US, namely Brazilians Airto Moreira and Flora Purim and a host of others playing authentic Brazilian, African and Indonesian instruments. The music is quite exotic and out of this world percussion with vocal chants in foreign language and the recording is one of the best from RR, imo. In my early audio days, Mickey Hart's dropping of the Beast was the toast of the audio world, particularly those with subwoofers and humogous power amps, but of late, I have come to appreciate the music of the world done with lots of percussion intruments, and my favorite cuts are Reunion and Passage. That latter is quite thrilling and has great dynamic contrasts.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Big Brazilian Music fan here and while we are on the brazilian page THis album available at Amazon.com

Two CDs spanning about 40 years of Brazilian Music. From classic Bossa Nova tunes to dance floor..I usually don't like compilations, most seem to move from one mood or style to another in a jolting fashion... Not here. Two CDs one called Sunrise, the other Sunset ..The pieces are fitting...
There are some surprises for example the piece by Jair Rodriguez Deixo Issa Pra La .. hip-hop with a real Brazilian flair, a mixture of both. The first Brazilian Hip-hop hit ... Starts as if James Brown was about to rap but in another language ..
Three pieces later comes the superb piece called "Jogando Capoeira" by Beatfanatic ... Capoeira is a Brazilian Art form which seems to be unique: It is Martial Art: it is used to fight and the idea is to fight at a number and/or technological disadvantage.. It is a also a game , you play it executing the moves of the Martial Art but not really fighting akin to the "katas" of Karate and it is a dance too in which the steps are similar or derived from the Martial Art you execute the moves with a specific music part of the "Capeira" eco-system... This piece gives you a glimpse ..
The Remix by Mad Zoo Holographic called "Sambassim" ... may have you searching for more electronica and club muisc than you though you would ...

Those CDs are just out good

Sound is good. Honest no-compressed songs (for the most part anyway).. Good extension, balance, nothing edgy or overly noisy, even for the oldest pieces... It is clear that an effort was made to create this compilation..
A very good introduction to Brazilian Music, even for those already familiar with it.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sticking with the Brazilian theme...how about a little Jorge Ben?

IMO, you can close your eyes and pick out anything he recorded from the 60's and 70's, it's all fantastic...funky and soulful. Here are a few of my favorites (but certainly not all encompassing):

Africa Brasil (Phillips, 1976): Amazing LP and the best Brazilian funk ever!

Samba Esqueme Novo (Phillips,1963): Has there ever been a better MPB debut album?

Forca Bruta (Phillips, 1970): Laid back, acoustic set. Recently reissued

Solta O Pavao (Phillips, 1975): Possibly his best LP.

Tropical (Island, 1976): One of his first major releases outside Brazil. Has the best version of the hit 'Taj Mahal'

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Killer Bees - Airto Moreira and the Gods of Jazz

Airto and Flora's distinct styles now combined with the 'Gods of Jazz'. Herbie Hancock, Mark Egan, Stanley Clarke and Chick Corea. A different blend of jazz, led by Airto and produced by B&W Music in 1993. Super sonics too.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm really enjoying a couple of recent releases on vinyl.

The Debo Band.

SubPop has post of stream of the entire LP to sample:

Amadou & Mariam: Folia

Potere Infinito

May 24, 2013
www.mixcloud.com
Let's change the course to Tibet :)

A soundtrack to a movie called "Himalaya". Composer: Bruno Coulais
The movie is unique and the soundtrack as well. It's slightly like an "unsung hero" of such soundtracks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was looking for the International/World Music thread, and this is it! ? World Music Reboot

Click on the above picture cover ? for ? samples.

Listening to it right now (Stereo SACD layer); Chesky is a good music record label...the atmosphere of the space is captured, and David balanced the instruments and voices to make a pleasurable experience @ home. It has some of that "Live" reality to it. You have the sensation to be in the room with the musicians; all you have to do is to adjust the master level just right.
For this one I'm not sure if David followed some standard level but @ THX Music reference level on my system produces the right volume @ realistic level. ...Zero (0) dB.
Dynamics, you'll get, with full verve.
| ? This is a 1996 recording (twenty years ago), and some tunes are intoxicating in the best way possible.|
______

I checked for some youtube videos, but there were only two, and not the best.
Anyway, this tune is on that SACD album I'm listening to. And as you'll see the volume is very low, so that's why it requires a serious adjustment of the volume level.

Last edited:

Potere Infinito

May 24, 2013
www.mixcloud.com
Hi all,

A while back, I created a music mix with keywords like Native American, Flute, Fusion, Soundtrip, so I hope this is fitting to this topic :)

It is called "The Giver".

Tracklist:
1. Salaskamarka – Tor Cheney Nahana 7:00
2. Tito La Rosa - The Cry of the World 3:25
3. Sayama - Centre of the Universe 9:35
4. Robbie Robertson- Peyote Healing 6:05
5. Lisa Lynne Franco & George Tortorelli-Windrise 6:10
6. The Spirit Level- Flowers for the Dead 5:00
7. Jose Campos & Tito La Rosa - Madre Ayahuasca 6:40
8. Michael Stearns - Monk With Bell, music from movie „Baraka“ 2:35
9. David Darling- Dream Pearls Of Kathak 12:35

How do you like it?
Any suggestions that would fit the same music styles?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing