World Music Reboot

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
NATSU NEBUSTSU - Yasukazu Amemiya

This was played for me by a close friend who loved percussion music. This LP has awesome dynamics with lightning fast transients that could 'scare' the listener once in a while. :) Exotic, oriental percussion at its finest, just take a look at the list of 'instruments' below.

Below is the 'drum set':

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
WBF's an expensive hobby. I think that 9 out of the last 10 albums I bought because of recommendations here.

You're not alone Gary :(

:D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Gary,

I'm in Bellevue if you ever want to borrow/burn a CD. Feel free to PM -- I have a few of the Zoho releases...and a few others ;-)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tango anyone?

Currently listening to Astor Piazzolla's "Tango Zero Hour".

Piazzolla declares on the back cover "This is absolutely the greatest record I've made in my entire life. We gave our souls to this record." I can't disagree.

Rare as hen's teeth on vinyl, but easy to find CD

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Tango anyone?, part 2

If you like Piazzolla's Nuevo tango, than 'X Tango' might be for you. Check out virtuoso pianist Fernando Otero's "Pagina de Buenos Aires"

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Saudades - Dom Um Romao

Water Lily Acoustics. A bit deep initially, but after a while the I got to appreciate the music better. Great soundstage. Can sound a bit 'dark' overall, but I guess Water Lily has that 'signature' in their records.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Gary & Jadis --

Thanks! Two more for the ever growing list.

Here's a great CD of Tango vocalese:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I seem to be listening to a lot of South American pianists recently:

Chano Dominguez:

Bebo Valdes (with flamenco singer Cigala)...a desert island disc with great sonics:

Roberto Fonseca:

Glauco Sagebin:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Renaud Garcia-Fons may be the world's greatest living bassist and one of my favorite musicians.

http://www.renaudgarciafons.com/

His most recent CD "Mediterranees" is an exploration of music from the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

His previous release "La Linea Del Sur" was one of the best releases in 2009.

Both CDs have outstanding sonics and are a real system test for dynamics and bass quality.

Here is a concert clip of the title track from "La Linea Del Sur" to get a flavor:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Tom and Ellis Album is one of the 10 Best Album of All Time in my Book .. This woman has a voice and a technique as well as sensibilities that are almost unique.. One of the best vocalists the world has known IMO and that of others.. A MUST album for any fan of "World Music" and while we are at it :

Manu Dibango made a splash in the USA with the hit " Soul Makossa". He is however an accomplished musician, excellent band leader and a world-class saxophonist ...
More later...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing