World Music Reboot

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The "World Music Kick Off" thread was misplaced or inadvertently zapped when Steve was shaping the site but I think that's okay. We shall begin again.

"World Music" is sort of a nebulous concept. What qualifies as world music? Does the artist really have to be from the country of origin of that genre? Is there some ratio between influences? It isn't traditional music so that implies that quite a bit of pot mixing has gone on. In the retail world, I have come to conclude that it is the bin stockiest put the CDs in when they don't quite know what to make of it and they can't pronounce the artists' or bands' names. Sort of how "Alternative" got started. :eek:

Fortunately for us, the world is indeed smaller. In the lost thread, a duo from Mexico panhandled in Ireland, started playing in pubs, took underground western europe by storm and ended up playing on Leno. The mix of ethnicity in bands, troupes or even impromptu jams has given us rich pickings. Music I think has brought about more racial and religious tolerance than all treaties the UN has hammered out combined.

If you happen to be in doubt about whether an album is World Music or a something else, don't worry about it. Post away! This space celebrates the diversity as well as the commonalities.

Through the music that I hope we will all share, we can get glimpses of far off places and insight into the cultures.

> World Music Rebooted :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I grew up listening to my Dad playing vinyl on Sunday afternoons, after he came home from the pub for a few pints and a game of billiards. One of the artists he played regularly was Los Indios Tabajaras. A Brazilian duo of master guitar players.

c916382423j..jpg

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's some of the stuff I've been listening to lately. I've been on a Neo-Soul binge lately and have as a result segued into genres with direct african pop and jazz influences then back around to latin america. I hope you enjoy these. They are worth listening to.

Somi - Red Soil In My Eyes
Somi - If the Rain Comes First

Light, smooth, jazzy with a touch of the exotic. Her voice is heavenly but her range is not shown off in these two albums. Some great collaborations from the likes of Hugh Masakela.

Soulstance - Lead the Way

I think this belongs more in the jazz section as it is reminiscent in mix to Dexter Gordon's Swingin' Affair down to songs with the Soy Califa vibe. Many tracks enjoy a strong afro-cuban flavor that is quite stirring.

Gerardo Frisina - Ad Lib

Energetic Bossa Nova? Yeah. It sounds weird right? This is what would happen if you mainline Tito Puente energy into Jobim. :) Hey, it works by highlighting the Samba more than the "Nova". Worth a listen.

Pacifika - Supermagique

Very eclectic mix of genres and even languages with lyrics in english, spanish and french. Music to chill too.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This has been coming up frequently on my playlist lately. I demoed a couple of her tracks at RMAF, and everytime the audience asked "Who?" and then it was "Huh??"

http://www.amazon.com/São-Vicente-C...=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1288192961&sr=1-8

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Autumn Yearning Fantasia

Autumn Yearning Fantasia

Excellent sounding album from producer Winston Ma of FIM. Capturing the nuances and fine detail of authentic Chinese instruments. I feel very much at home with the music listening to these from my late father's association with the Chinese Cultural Youth Ensemble.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

One of my favorite exotic LP intrumentals of all, Charango by
Jaime Torres on Messidor label of Germany. A charango is a small latino type
guitar which to me resembles a ukulele. Nice recording too, with pan flutes, bass, and a female singer.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Autumn Yearning Fantasia

Excellent sounding album from producer Winston Ma of FIM. Capturing the nuances and fine detail of authentic Chinese instruments. I feel very much at home with the music listening to these from my late father's association with the Chinese Cultural Youth Ensemble.

Jadis, that is a fabulous album. Unfortunately, I only have the XRCD24 version. I'm sure that the LP would have been far better!! Another of Winston's albums I love is the Treasures of the Asia Pacific.

It is a compilation he made by cherry-picking from all the best audiophile labels in Asia.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jadis, that is a fabulous album. Unfortunately, I only have the XRCD24 version. I'm sure that the LP would have been far better!! Another of Winston's albums I love is the Treasures of the Asia Pacific.

It is a compilation he made by cherry-picking from all the best audiophile labels in Asia.

Gary,

The LP is stunning. Just heard it again an hour ago, and it captures the mood of ancient China. And glad to hear there's another nice compilation in Treasures of the Asia Pacific, I'm gonna search for that.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I confess that most of my experience of world music is filtered through the influence it had on western artists like George Harrison, Paul Simon, Stan Getz, etc. I will follow this thread with great interest.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Claudia Gomez - Salamandra

This was a mid-90s release from Clarity Records, recorded with the participation of Tim de Paravicini of EAR and came in 2 editions - a standard album, and a double single sided album which employed 'one step plating' (top and lower picture respectively).

Music is authentic Brazilian bossa featuring Colombian singer/guitarist Claudia Gomez. Sweet, sulty voice with nice percussion and bass. Great recording too.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of my favorites, and something I play often at CES is A Meeting by the River with Ry Cooder and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. The CD is good enough that I never sought out the vinyl.

Jadis, the Claudia Gomez is a wonderful album - but the CD release was only so-so. It's a pity as the music is pretty accessible and might have gotten a far larger audience had it been better.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
One of my favorites, and something I play often at CES is A Meeting by the River with Ry Cooder and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. The CD is good enough that I never sought out the vinyl.

We transfered the DSD for HDtracks. The Hi-rez can be downloaded HERE.

Also, we have mastered a few albums for a couple of great Brazilian jazz pianist, Jovino Santos-Neto and Weber Iago. They are Latin Grammy Nominees and their music can be ordered from Adventure Music with other great Latin musicians.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Jadis, the Claudia Gomez is a wonderful album - but the CD release was only so-so. It's a pity as the music is pretty accessible and might have gotten a far larger audience had it been better.

Oh yes, Gary. I have the 2LP set of 'A Meeting by the River' and indeed it's truly a beautiful album. Great music and great recording. What more can one ask for?

And yes, I had the gold CD of Claudia Gomez before but sold it long time ago after hearing the LPs. Right now, I have both versions, single and double sided. Both sound different, and can be used for 'mood swing' purposes. :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

You might also like Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another nice one on the Water Lily label in the 90s is Mountain and the Sea, by Brazilian guitarist Jose Neto, with Airto Moreira and Flora Purim. Relaxing and soothing music fit for a tiring day.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Yes, love that album.... along with this:

Love that! I bet you'll like these if you don't own them already:

Afro Cuban Allstars "Distinto, diferente"

Afro Cuban All-Stars "A Toda Cuba Le Gusta"

Ibrahim Ferrer

Eliades Ochoa "Estoy Como Nunca"

Eliades Ochoa & Company Segundo "Cuarteto Patria"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well now I've got a couple new ones on my list ; - )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing