Challenge Classics

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Maybe interesting to note that Bert van der Wolf prefers the dsd 256 files of his recordings to the dxd files albeit his latest recordings are all native dxd ......

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I did just order 7 dxd Channel Classics titles, my son has now taught me how to do it myself, and so far I've ordered 7 and completely downloaded 2. quite easy to do.

these are mostly files I had in Quad dsd already, but since they are native dxd I wanted to take the time to compare the downloads directly in both formats on the MSB to see what I think.

i'm listening to the dxd of that Minnaar Beethoven 1 & 2 right now, and it's really fine sounding. I can already hear what is missing on the Quad files (small degrees of air, delicacy, decay, and texture......to begin with).

i'll do three more so I'll have 10 to compare and play with, before I go hog wild with these dxd files. my 30 terabytes of NAS will likely need expansion.

the addition of the Tripoint Elite must be considered in my Quad dsd file aural memory to be fair. i'll have to go back to those.

The Beethoven symphony recordings are really fine from a sound quality perspective but there are CC files from Bert that sound superior ... but I suppose you will find that out soon ....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe interesting to note that Bert van der Wolf prefers the dsd 256 files of his recordings to the dxd files albeit his latest recordings are all native dxd ......

I looked for indications of the native format of the recordings, which were there the last time I did downloads a year ago......but could not find it mentioned anywhere. am I to assume dxd? or is there another way, or maybe a place i'm missing to look.

my agenda is to hear it in the original format with the MSB Select II whatever that might be.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I looked for indications of the native format of the recordings, which were there the last time I did downloads a year ago......but could not find it mentioned anywhere. am I to assume dxd? or is there another way, or maybe a place i'm missing to look.

my agenda is to hear it in the original format with the MSB Select II whatever that might be.

Apart from a few of his earlier recordings that are native dsd Bert records (currently) in dxd.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

What DAC is he using to listen? We cannot exclude that his preference is just due to the system performance, not the format.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) my agenda is to hear it in the original format with the MSB Select II whatever that might be.

+1! But most of the time we do not have technical information enough about the recording.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What DAC is he using to listen? We cannot exclude that his preference is just due to the system performance, not the format.

I was thinking the same thing.

likely he is using the Merging Technology unit, the 8 channel NADAC, for playback, since these are all multi-channel masters.

I preferred dsd to pcm (disliked the redbook performance) through the 2 channel version of the NADAC when I heard it doing Quad......but never heard it with native dxd masters.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I believe the Nadac dac.

as I posted a few moments ago, my perception of the NADAC 2 channel dac was that it was not optimal for redbook PCM. I never heard higher rex PCM with it. but i'd guess that the dac, in this case, might be a factor for Burt's playback preferences. it's only a guess.

I just finished downloading the rest of these dxd files and i'm sampling them now on the MSB. they are seemingly better than the Quad files so far. and I listened to these Quad files quite a bit.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
as I posted a few moments ago, my perception of the NADAC 2 channel dac was that it was not optimal for redbook PCM. I never heard higher rex PCM with it. but i'd guess that the dac, in this case, might be a factor for Burt's playback preferences. it's only a guess.

I just finished downloading the rest of these dxd files and i'm sampling them now on the MSB. they are seemingly better than the Quad files so far. and I listened to these Quad files quite a bit.

Which CC recordings did you download? In my view Bert’s recordings still belong to the very best out there. Interesting to hear how they compare to your best files in your set up.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Which CC recordings did you download? In my view Bert’s recordings still belong to the very best out there. Interesting to hear how they compare to your best files in your set up.

I guess I have to admit i'm not sure who Bert is exactly. I thought he was the CC guy. so I likely need to do some research and identity which of 'Bert's' recordings I have already. here are the one's I down loaded. all 2 channel dxd.

https://www.spiritofturtle.com/shop...2&attribute_pa_channels=stereo&v=7516fd43adaa

Prok 1-5

https://www.spiritofturtle.com/shop...2&attribute_pa_channels=stereo&v=7516fd43adaa

Prok 6-7

Prok 3-4

Bruk 1

Mend 4-5

Beet Pian 1-2

Faure--pian

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Bert van der Wolf is the mastermind of Northstar: in most of the recordings that you can download from www.spiritofturtle.com Bert is the producer, balance and recording enigineer. Furthermore he is editing and mastering these recordings.

Btw, the various Bach recordings with La Petite Bande are very impressive as well: for example the singers in the Mattheus-Passion are gorgeous and the recording quality is outstanding.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I went ahead and added the Beethoven cycle and the 2 Mahler's.

i'm truly impressed by what I've heard from the de Vriend Beethoven's so far. this is reference digital full orchestral music. wow!!! (with the caution i'm no classical expert).

I've had the Quad files of these for over a year, listened to them often, and they are merely very good but did not stand out to my ears. but these now have a delicacy, texture, ease and liquidity from the native dxd with full orchestral that reminds one of great vinyl (at least played through the MSB). and this more refined sound compliments the excellent energy and pace of these recordings.

Beethoven Symphony's are among my most played music......these last few years. and these are now at the top of my digital list.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I went ahead and added the Beethoven cycle and the 2 Mahler's.

i'm truly impressed by what I've heard from the de Vriend Beethoven's so far. this is reference digital full orchestral music. wow!!! (with the caution i'm no classical expert).

I've had the Quad files of these for over a year, listened to them often, and they are merely very good but did not stand out to my ears. but these now have a delicacy, texture, ease and liquidity from the native dxd with full orchestral that reminds one of great vinyl (at least played through the MSB). and this more refined sound compliments the excellent energy and pace of these recordings.

Beethoven Symphony's are among my most played music......these last few years. and these are now at the top of my digital list.

Thanks, good to know

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
maybe should have waited to post.

yesterday the downloads went fairly smooth. today it's a cluster.......likely more downloads are straining the bandwidth of the site. dxd files are huge and 3 to 8 gig files take long times to download. so I have to watch them and kick start them as they fail and hang up. maybe my post caused more of an issue and maybe it did not.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Enjoying the ones you could download? Hope you agree with me that Bert's files/recordings are amazing and wonderful!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Enjoying the ones you could download? Hope you agree with me that Bert's files/recordings are amazing and wonderful!

I downloaded 6 more today, for a total of 23 since Thursday afternoon. and there were some almost 8 gig files today......one that took 4 hours. just more hang ups today compared to the earlier ones.

i'd say sound quality wise, these files are uniformly overall the finest sounding digital I have yet heard. so many passages where my prior expectation would be some sort of distortion and they sail right through. the native dxd is so natural, so easy and grounded; the overall tonal and dynamic balance seems right on to my ears. just a splendid job of recording and producing.

Bravo to Bert!!!

yes......amazing and wonderful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing