Challenge Classics

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The attached pictures show Bert in his control room using inter alia Avalon Acoustics speakers and Spectral gear. Part of the cables that are being used for the recording sessions are made by the well known Dutch cable company Siltech.

Possibly as a consequence of my interest for (or is it maybe fixation on?) the sound quality of recordings I always thought of Bert as being the one and only recording engineer. Boy, was I wrong because he is not only responsible for the sound quality of his recordings but he is at the same time functioning as the recording producer. I found it incredible intriguing to experience the interaction between Bert as recording producer and James Gaffigan as conductor. A professional recording producer like Bert has a profound influence on the recording. Furthermore it was a pleasure to experience the dedication of the musicians, the various ways in which certain parts of a symphony can be performed, to notice the choices that in this regard were being made, the friendly way in which James Gaffigan worked/communicated with the orchestra and Bert as recording producer, etc.

I really had a tremendous time this afternoon. And I learned that certain parts of the Prokofievs second symphony are stunningly beautiful, in particular some of the lyrical passages that contrast so strongly with the thunderous parts of this symphony. Really looking forward to hearing this recording in dxd and dsd 256 in my set up!

Btw, in the last picture you see - from the control room - James Gaffigan conducting.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Attached a copy of the review of Adria Quanjer of the new Challenge Classics recording (by Bert van der Wolf) of the Brahms requiem on www.hraudio.net

"Review by Adrian Quanjer - Today 03:36 am

Brahms’ Requiem is undoubtedly the most monumental work in all of his oeuvre.

Praised by many, but opposed by some during his life time: It was not a requiem in the traditional, Roman Catholic manner. Brahms was a devout Lutheran protestant and familiar with the Lutheran bible, from which he personally selected texts he thought to be most appropriate to what he had in mind, thereby avoiding any mention of Christ or reference to Redemption.

His requiem is, indeed, different as it is meant to give comfort and peace of mind in a situation of death, rather than giving expression to fear of judgement and conveying pleas for salvation. It is a requiem of consolation and this should, in my opinion, be the yardstick by which to judge a performance.

The original full title is: “Ein deutsches Requiem, nach Worten der heiligen Schrift” (A German Requiem, To Words of the Holy Scriptures). Why did he call it a ‘German’ requiem? The obvious and probably correct answer is that it is based on German texts and sung in German, but it would seem to me that it also carries a hint of differentiation from Latin versions and hence religious dogma.

It is monumental, too, in terms of sheer length.

Depending on execution practice the originally estimated duration is around 65 to 80 minutes. However, times change: Solti takes 77:33, Karajan 75 plus and Robert Shaw and his chorale only 67 minutes. By comparison Jan Willem de Vriend, in keeping with his sort of half way historical practice approach, looks more like Mr. Swift. He and The Hague Philharmonic do it in 61:26.

Too fast? In these kinds of lengthy compositions speed seems to be of a relative nature. In this particular case it did not really disturb my musical appreciation. On the contrary, I found it more commensurate to the positive impact it is supposed to deliver than, for instance, Robert Spano and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus (67:26) whose interpretation felt as though it got stuck in too much drawn-out and massive drama, which some may like (given some positive reviews here and there), but others, like me, sadly not so very much. Partly due, I suppose, to the enormous and poorly recorded forces of over one hundred musicians and two choirs totaling 295 persons singing ‘from behind a drawn curtain’.

There is no monument without a solid structure.

In his liner notes, Ronald Touw, First violinist, gives succinct historical information. And detailed information about its (cyclical) structure being abundantly available elsewher, I don’t feel the necessity to copy what Brahms scholars and other experts have already said, other than that the fourth movement, ‘Wie lieblich sind deine Wohnungen’, is the central part around which the remaining six movements are arranged and that it starts like it ends with ‘Seligkeit’ for those who mourn and for those who are dead.

As for de Vriend’s reading: he carries forward a tradition of historical practice ever since he became Leader of the Amsterdam Combattimento Consort. A habit he introduced in his previous job at the helm of the Netherlands Symphony Orchestra by replacing the brass with valve less instruments and using sticks for the tympani. With The Hague Philharmonic he hasn’t arrived there yet and maybe he won’t at all. But in terms of speed he conforms to what seems to be more and more normal practice. But here it isn’t so much for the sake of it. He pays due and comprehensive attention to the scoring and the meaning of the ‘Word’. Nowhere did I have the feeling that he was hurrying. Neither was there excessive urging forward, nor dragging to amplify drama.

Thomas Oliemans, whom I was barely familiar with turned out to be an excellent baritone with complete understanding of the German text. As for Renate Arends: she has a beautiful voice, but I would have wished her to be more lyrical than dramatic. And the choir? Made up of the recently established ‘Rotterdam Symphony Chorus’, directed by Wiecher Mandemaker, and the semi-professional ‘Laurenscantorij’ (choir from the Saint Laurens church in Rotterdam), they amazed me with the quality of singing and pronunciation of the German texts. Maybe not yet at the same level of the Rundfunkchor Berlin in Marek Janowski’s reading, but all the same of an excellent fabric.

A monumental work needs a ditto recording.

This is a live recording in what looks like a make shift concert venue, with a large complement on stage, a hall full of people, and -perhaps- doubtful acoustics. If that is so, than the recording engineers have done wonders. A realistic sound stage and surround depth, with no disturbing noises from the audience or unwanted echoes from the walls. But with Bert van der Wolf (NorthStar Recording Services BV) in charge, that does not surprise.

Blangy-le-Château,
Normandy, France

Copyright © 2016 Adrian Quanjer and HRAudio.net"

For sound quality (multichannel) Adrian gave this recording the maximum of five stars.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Here is another review by Adrian of the piano music of Fauré by Hannes Minnaar as pianist. This recording by Bert van der Wolf was also rewarded with the maximum of five stars (both for sound quality and the performance)

"Review by Adrian Quanjer - October 6, 2016

Not so long ago I had the pleasure of reviewing a couple of Challenge Classics releases with Hannes Minnaar as soloist. Beethoven was on the menu and he did very well. Together with Isabelle van Keulen: Beethoven: 10 Violin Sonatas - van Keulen / Minnaar and Jan Willem de Vriend: Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1 & 2 - Minnaar / de Vriend. In this album he is turning his attention to Fauré. The right choice for him?

In 1983 a French pianist, Pierre-Alain Volondat, won the ‘Concours Reine Elisabeth’ in Brussels. He would seem best qualified for Fauré’s piano oeuvre. He recorded his Barcarolles, Préludes and Impromtus for Naxos, but then disappeared almost completely from the international scene.

Comes Hannes Minnaar, also a Lauriat of the same contest (2010). He isn‘t French. He is from The Netherlands. But the Jury was more than pleasantly surprised with - unusual for such contests- his choice for the finals: Saint-Saens’ fifth piano concerto. It got him a third prize and it gave him his French credentials, of which we get here further proof.

His Fauré is not Volondat’s, it is played with masterly authority. Where Volondat floats poetically gives Minnaar us a firm toucher and an undeniable presence. Thus lifting Fauré from salon to concert venue. This is not to say that he lacks poetry. On the contrary. But his poetry is without ‘softness’; it’s more convincingly encouraging in tone. Like a mother reassuring her child. And besides, Fauré is more than an extension of impressionist painting: “These sets (nocturnes, barcarolles and impromptus) were composed across the decades of his career, and display the change in his style from uncomplicated youthful charm to a final enigmatic, but sometimes fiery introspection…”.

In this recital all facets of Fauré’s life are addressed; the charm, the poetry, the turbulence and, not to forget, his romantic temperament (to put it mildly). It requires a pianist who is able to encompass all these elements. And Minnaar reveals himself to be such a ‘Jack of all trades’. Comparing Minnaar between then and now, I sense that his maturity is still growing, and what I admire most is his apparent modesty, clearly shunning star status. This attitude is what makes his Fauré so exceptional. It is not the virtuoso aspect he is after. The maturity gives him, as it were, the peace of mind to identify himself with the composers intentions and hence to generate the ability to translate it into a personalized interpretation, making Fauré so wonderfully clear and understandable for his audience.

The right choice? Yes. What more can I say about this recital?

In the liner notes Minnaar writes extensively about Fauré. It makes for interesting, even compulsory reading, to which I’m happy to refer.

For the record: Last September, Hannes Minnaar was awarded the ‘Nederlandse Muziekprijs’ (Dutch Music Award) the most important prize for a Dutch musician. Illustrious predecessors are: Janine Janssen (violin), Quirine Viersen (cello) and Lavinia Meijer (Harp), to name but a few. Fully justified, in my view.

Blangy-le-Château
Normandy, France

Copyright © 2016 Adrian Quanjer and HRAudio.net"

SteelyTom

Nov 16, 2016
Good to see the praise for Challenge Classics (their jazz catalog is pretty fine as well). It's my favorite label, sonically speaking, though Channel and Ars Produktion are close contenders.

I'm curious-- why are only a portion of Challenge's classical releases released as SACDs, and of that group, why does Bert van der Wolf engineer only a portion? Can anyone detect a difference in SQ between Northstar and non-Northstar SACD releases on Challenge?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Good to see the praise for Challenge Classics (their jazz catalog is pretty fine as well). It's my favorite label, sonically speaking, though Channel and Ars Produktion are close contenders.

I'm curious-- why are only a portion of Challenge's classical releases released as SACDs, and of that group, why does Bert van der Wolf engineer only a portion? Can anyone detect a difference in SQ between Northstar and non-Northstar SACD releases on Challenge?

Northstar Recordings is Bert's company, not Challenge Classics. Bert van der Wolf is an independant recording producer and recording engineer. CC releases every year much more recordings than Bert could possibly handle on his own.

A fine recording company like Harmonia Mundi also releases only a (very) small portion of its recordings in dsd/sacd format. This is probably a matter of available resources (recording equipment, mony, etc.), time and dedication.

I suppose some of us are more equal than others. Remember the golden days of the British recording company Decca? They had quite a few very good recording engineers at those days but 'Wilkie', that is Kenneth Wilkinson, stood out as recording engineer.

Bert is apparently able to translate what he hears with the help of his top notch (recording) equipment in stunning sounding recordings (acoustics of the recording venue he chooses are of course very important as well). Although I have only heard a few Challenge Classics recordings that were not produced by Northstar Recordings, Bert's recordings are to my ears really special and stand out from a recording quality perspective.

If you appreciate his sacd recordings, please try out his dxd files. You will be in for a sonic treat because his (original) recordings are made in the dxd format!

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Audiocrack, this is a great music thread; thank you for your awesome "lifting" contribution. ...Very inspiring.

Thanks Northstar. I am glad you like it!

My hope is that more members share their CC experiences with us.

Btw, I suppose you are not involved with Northstar recordings?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
To all our jazz and classical music loving members: those who followed this thread know I am very enthusiastic about the CC label, that is the music that is recorded by Bert van der Wolf's Northstar company. Recently I made quite some (relatively small) changes regarding my Tidal LA/Kondo/Lampizator/Zanden system that were very worthwhile indeed. Now that the system sounds clearly better than before I notice once again: the dxd and dsd 256 files of Bert's CC recordings are really extraordinary. Do yourself a favor and try out one or two of Bert's recordings and I promise you: you are going to love them!

You can find these wonderful recordings on: www.spiritofturtle.com

And I forgot to mention: currently a 15% reduction on files and a 30% reduction on (sa)cd's applies.

Last edited:

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
I am a big fan of Challenge. :)

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
Is it possible to list a few CC recordings/files that are in your view (very) impressive (sounding)?

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11842

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10260

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10921

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10179

however, I would suggest you ignore my recommendations and source the performances that most appeal to you

there is a consistency of excellence that does not demand highlighting a particular release

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11842

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10260

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10921

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10179

however, I would suggest you ignore my recommendations and source the performances that most appeal to you

there is a consistency of excellence that does not demand highlighting a particular release

I fully agree with your last statement: although I do prefer certain recordings of Bert to others - for example the Prokofiev recording you listed sounds absolutely stunning, partly because the recording venue sounds delicious (I had the pleasure to visit this hall in Hilversum while Bert was recording another Prokofiev symphony) - the quality of his musical productions (not only classical btw) is consistently very high. Imho they (that is his dxd and dsd 256 files) belong to the very best available at the moment.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
And here is a link to one of my Northstar/Challenge favourite recordings (Prokofiev conducted by James Gaffigan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0MMFGU5ro

The sound quality of the two Prokofiev recordings that are released so far is stunning and due to this fact I have listened the last year or so much more to Prokofiev than I used to do and found new appreciation for this (somewhat underrated) Russian composer.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I did just order 7 dxd Challenge Classics titles, my son has now taught me how to do it myself, and so far I've ordered 7 and completely downloaded 2. quite easy to do.

these are mostly files I had in Quad dsd already, but since they are native dxd I wanted to take the time to compare the downloads directly in both formats on the MSB to see what I think.

i'm listening to the dxd of that Minnaar Beethoven 1 & 2 right now, and it's really fine sounding. I can already hear what is missing on the Quad files (small degrees of air, delicacy, decay, and texture......to begin with).

i'll do three more so I'll have 10 to compare and play with, before I go hog wild with these dxd files. my 30 terabytes of NAS will likely need expansion.

the addition of the Tripoint Elite must be considered in my Quad dsd file aural memory to be fair. i'll have to go back to those.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing