Challenge Classics

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Please keep in mind that Challenge Classics is a label that brings out recordings that are being produced and engineered by different persons/recording engineers. So not all CC sacd’s were/are recorded by Northstar / Bert van der Wolf. My enthusiasm for the various CC files (in dxd and dsd 256) that I shared with all of you in this CC thread has (only) been inspired by the Northstar/Bert van der Wolf productions. The latter can only be downloaded from www.spiritofturtle.com in the original recording format (dxd) as well as in dsd 128 and dsd 256. Native dsd has only dsd 64 files available.

Thanks for the clarification. Larry

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Here is a link with a review of Bert van der Wolf’s latest dxd recording with music of Korngold and Berstein:

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12808#reviews

I ordered both this recording and Bert’s latest Prokofiev recording (in dxd as well as in dsd 256 format) but did not have the time yet to listen to these two files. Therefore will report my findings later on.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As mentioned earlier on this thread I ordered the two last recordings on CC made by Bert van der Wolf in the dxd as well as in the dsd 256 format. Have only been able to give the (last) Prokofiev recording - of his second and fourth symphony - a serious listen. What else can I say then that this a beautiful (or should I use the word ‘stunning’) recording. Although not the most ‘easy’ symphony Prokofiev’s second symphony fascinates me due to its extremes while the fourth symphony is just plain gorgeous. Great achievement by all persons involved.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Due to the various changes and progress in my Tidal LA / Kondo / Tripoint audio system I am currently revaluating (some of) my recordings / files from a sound quality perspective and in that regard I need to correct myself. The Debussy / Ravel recording from Bert van der Wolf in dsd 256 / dxd format - which recording came along earlier in this thread - is better than I originally thought: it belongs to the very best of Bert’s recordings. So gorgeous French orchestral music played as well as recorded gorgeously: get it and enjoy yourself!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Brains behind our Northstar (Bob's) postings. :confused:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here is a link which contains an interview with Bert van Wolf, the brains behind Northstar and the person who is responsible for many outstanding recordings for Challenge Classics:

https://www.psaudio.com/article/bert-van-der-wolf/

Great article, many thanks. Bert van der Wolf views on digital and hi-rez are well founded and he summarizes in a few words the good and the bad of digital, and the connection and bottlenecks between the technical and the emotional.

Curiously that his words depict so well why I always return to the DCS Vivaldi, even after a few experiences with funnier digital - for me, it is closer to the real music, and in the end the realism seems to win over the fun ...

Although the thread is not on DCS, it is worth explicitly referring the video with his views on DCS: https://vimeo.com/118693296

Anyway it is time to pick a couple of new recordings from their catalogue - my only reserve is that they do not sell the DXD versions, just the DSD256 ...

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Great article, many thanks. Bert van der Wolf views on digital and hi-rez are well founded and he summarizes in a few words the good and the bad of digital, and the connection and bottlenecks between the technical and the emotional.

Curiously that his words depict so well why I always return to the DCS Vivaldi, even after a few experiences with funnier digital - for me, it is closer to the real music, and in the end the realism seems to win over the fun ...

Although the thread is not on DCS, it is worth explicitly referring the video with his views on DCS: https://vimeo.com/118693296

Anyway it is time to pick a couple of new recordings from their catalogue - my only reserve is that they do not sell the DXD versions, just the DSD256 ...

Just to be sure: you can download dxd versions from www.spiritofturtle.com website, Micro. I always buy Bert’s recordings in dxd and dsd 256. Still not sure which of the two I prefer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to be sure: you can download dxd versions from www.spiritofturtle.com website, Micro. I always buy Bert’s recordings in dxd and dsd 256. Still not sure which of the two I prefer.

Thanks, I was referring to those in Channel Classics. Probably the choice will depend on the DAC. However, considering just the The Spirit of Turtle recordings, isn't the DXD the master format and all other formats obtained trans-coding the DXD?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks, I was referring to those in Channel Classics. Probably the choice will depend on the DAC. However, considering just the The Spirit of Turtle recordings, isn't the DXD the master format and all other formats obtained trans-coding the DXD?

I can only speak about how they sound in my system, on the MSB Select II; but I prefer the dxd version for those recordings that are native dxd. Bert's and other's. I have a number of them in both dxd and Quad dsd. just a more relaxed open view on the music. less a recording. yes, objectively more detail too.

not a night and day difference, but one I appreciate and glad I can enjoy. the music is so deep and nuanced that I value the little bit more.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This is my absolute favorite recording of the cello suites, music as well as SQ, superb! Highly recommended.

https://www.channelclassics.com/catalogue/12298-Bach-6-Suites-for-violoncello-solo/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing