Press Release: The fully customizable Genesis Fortè at CES 2016 in Las Vegas

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Seattle, WA – The Genesis Fortè is the latest model in a long legacy of 6-foot-tall line-source two-tower loudspeakers dating back to 1994 with the introduction of the Genesis II.5. Other illustrious models in this series included the Genesis 350SE (2000) and the Genesis 2.2 Junior (2011). The Genesis Fortè features a 48-inch ribbon midrange, a line-array of ribbon ring-radiator tweeters and two 12-inch servo-controlled solid aluminum-cone woofers per loudspeaker. In a departure from previous Genesis models, for the first time the Fortè will be available in “any” finish and is fully customizable with various options. A custom-finish mid-specification model in fiddleback maple and high gloss black will be shown at CES 2016. Price on application.

While it looks outwardly similar to many of its predecessors, the Fortè incorporates all new design and technology. The cabinet is constructed out of a constrained-layer damped composite material to further reduce cabinet resonance. The crossover has been re-worked with the new Genesis 48-inch midrange driver. The servo-controlled 12-inch woofers ensure deep, accurate bass with improvements in the Dynamic Power Delivery System (DPDS). A revised crossover improves coherence between the midrange and the woofer. Careful selection of crossover frequencies ensure that the lobing common with many other line-source loudspeakers has been eliminated at the listening position.

The Genesis Ring-Radiator Ribbon Tweeter (GR3T™) displays remarkable clarity in the upper frequencies. It is often described as “the worlds best tweeter”. The 6mm ring radiator produces excellent dispersion up to 20kHz and above. With a line-array of 12 front-firing tweeters and a single 48-inch midrange, the Genesis Fortè is almost a perfect line source from 120Hz to 40kHz.

Nothing has much has changed in theoretical acoustics since ‘The Theory of Sound’ by mathematician and physicist Lord John William Strutt, Baron Rayleigh was published in 1877. There are still only two proper ways for a transducer to propagate sound in a room: a point-source and a line-source. Anything else, or everything in between, is a compromise.

In order for all frequencies of sound from the loudspeaker to reach the listener at exactly the same time, a coherent wave front is important - not just “time-alignment” of drivers. The ideal is either an infinitely small pulsating point or a thin pulsating line with a length on the order of the room dimension.

The huge advantage a line-source loudspeaker has over a point-source loudspeaker is that there is no vertical dispersion of the sound-wave. This carries several advantages: First, the spectral content of the waveform is consistent throughout the length of the line-source. With a line-source loudspeaker, seating height does not matter. There is no need to sit with the ears of the listener aligned to the height of the point-source or to aim the speaker at the head of the listener.

The second benefit of the line-source loudspeaker is that the attenuation of sound pressure level is -3dB with a doubling of distance instead of -6dB with a point-source. Hence, the change in loudness level is much less over small changes in distance. This results in a much larger area within which the speaker can be enjoyed, and hence can be enjoyed by a much larger audience. In a large room, this also results in much more dynamic sound with an equivalent amplifier.

“The Genesis Fortè is the ultimate loudspeaker for the family in a living room or even the great room,” said Mr. Gary Leonard Koh, Genesis’ CEO and Chief Designer. “It sounds good sitting down, it sounds good even when you are standing up, and the whole family can be enjoying the music at the same time.”

“There is already quite an improvement when you go from a conventional cone/dynamic loudspeaker to a ribbon or planar-magnetic,” said Mr. Koh. “But it can be really shocking when you go from a conventional loudspeaker to a ribbon line-source. The effortlessness of musical peaks, huge dynamic contrasts and the ability to resolve the tiniest musical details – that’s what gives many listeners a sense of euphoria. It makes listening to music a visceral experience.”

“The Fortè is the perfect loudspeaker for the family,” said Ms Carolyn Koh, Genesis’ Chief Operating Officer. “At night, when you don’t want to disturb the sleep of the rest of your family, it plays softly with no loss of detail. This, to me, is the greatest advantage of Genesis loudspeakers. Many speakers have to be played loudly before you can begin to enjoy the music. The ribbon drivers and the servo-bass technology mean that there is no loss of resolution in the mid-high, and no loss of impact in the bass even when played softly.”

“You can also sit anywhere in the room,” continued Mr. Koh. “With conventional loudspeakers, it sounds half as loud when you double the distance away from the speaker. With the Fortè, music sounds half as loud at four times the distance away.”

In addition to the debut of the Genesis Fortè, the Genesis demo at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show will showcase an almost entirely Genesis system – including electronics, cables and accessories. Other equipment that will be featured is the Transfiguration Proteus phono cartridge and the SMcAudio VRE-1C preamplifier.

About Genesis Advanced Technologies

Genesis Advanced Technologies is a leading designer and manufacturer of high-end, luxury and reference loudspeaker systems, amplifiers and accessories with a commitment to absolute fidelity® in product, performance, and service. The hallmarks of the “Genesis sound” are a top-to-bottom harmonic and rhythmic coherence, and believable “you-are-there” imaging and soundstage.

With a 40-year technology legacy, Genesis loudspeakers are often referred to as the “world’s best” when it comes to high-frequency clarity and bass extension. Going beyond high fidelity to absolute fidelity, Genesis loudspeaker systems deliver a frequency range from 18Hz to 40kHz using ribbon tweeters and proprietary solid metal-cone servo-controlled powered woofers.

For more information please contact: Genesis Advanced Technologies • 654 S Lucile St • Seattle, WA 98108 • voice: 206-762-8383 • info@genesisloudspeakers.com • www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Maple-Black copy.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats, Gary! Long may you reign. When you get a chance to catch your breath, would love to know a little more about the difference between this and the older 2.2Jr. Both technically but also sound-wise. What were the new benchmarks/goals you were specifically pushing for with this latest speaker? Thanks and congrats. Much hard work no doubt.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What's the price range on these compared to the Jr's?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Congrats, Gary! Long may you reign. When you get a chance to catch your breath, would love to know a little more about the difference between this and the older 2.2Jr. Both technically but also sound-wise. What were the new benchmarks/goals you were specifically pushing for with this latest speaker? Thanks and congrats. Much hard work no doubt.

I'm putting together a document that lists the differences (much like the document I have on the G1's). But it might not be ready by CES. However, the big difference between the Fortè and the older G2Jr is that there are lots of available options - many of these were requested by potential customers but we could not deliver. Another big difference is that instead of using a homogenous material (HMWA in the case of the G2Jr), I went to an improved constrained-layer damped composite sandwich that I learned to do while designing the G-Force last year.

Congrats Gary. Look forward to hearing them at CES.

Looking forward to seeing you at CES, Amir.

What's the price range on these compared to the Jr's?

They will range from $100k all the way up to $180k (at the moment). It was $140k until a customer decided that he wanted external upgraded power supplies based on my MDHR and DPDS. If any more customers dream up of any further upgrades, the price may go up.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
They will range from $100k all the way up to $180k (at the moment). It was $140k until a customer decided that he wanted external upgraded power supplies based on my MDHR and DPDS. If any more customers dream up of any further upgrades, the price may go up.

*makes higher motions with hand* ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds exciting Gary and Carol...look forward to reading more!

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Gary, you're one of the good guys in this hobby. I wish you great success with your newest speaker.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations Gary!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Gary and Carol! It looks great! I look forward to hearing it someday. I wish you much success with it!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Break a leg Gary! I'm sure the show will be great for you!

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Looks like a stunning speaker ..... and I imagine it was sound accordingly. Wish I was going to CES, but I'm not :(

Gary, when you have a chance, and no rush at all, can you offer some insight into whether and how one might incorporate your new 48" midrange driver into older models. Now that BG is no longer, I image there will be a way. New driver, obviously, and a new passive x-over? Likely cost?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
As far as I can achieve it, I always try to make it a drop-in replacement - just like we did with the plate amp replacement, the titanium dome midrange, etc.

If a crossover replacement is necessary (I don't think so), there will be a price on that. I don't have a price at the moment. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a time machine to turn the clock back to 1995 to price it from then. It's going to have to be 2016 prices.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Gary

Likewise I am not there this year as you and Philip are always my first two rooms at any show as they are always amongst my favorites. The music you and Philip play is second to none so are you able to share with us some of the music on your playlists

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing