Science Thread: Impact of Color on Perception of Loudness

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I thought I share an interesting paper presented at the International Congress on Acoustics (ICA) that aims to find out if color has an influence on how loud we think the sound that we are hearing is:

Colour-influences on loudness judgements
Daniel Menzel, Norman Haufe, Hugo Fastl
AG Technische Akustik, MMK, Technische Universität München, Germany

I don't know the other two authors but Hugo Fastl has written the definitive book on psychoacoustics so anytime I see his name, I pay attention :).

The paper tests influence of different colors when presented as different objects from lines to sports cars and trains. Here, I will only summarize the test where they used a drawing of a "radio" with different colors and see if it has an impact on loudness judgement. Here are the graphical results:

Fascinating, isn't it? "Hot Pink" (or bright red) is what it says :). And dark colors like black bias our thinking that something is quieter, or "darker" as the audiophile parlance goes.

Here is a portion of the summary:

"... in each experiment about one third of the subjects did show shifts
in their loudness judgements which depended on the presented
colours.
The relative shifts were in the order of 2 to 9%, with
c1 (“bright red”) and c7 (“bright pink”) often causing an increased
loudness rating, and c17 (“grey”) and c19 (“light green”)
associated mainly with lower loudness ratings."

Made the above red hoping it comes across louder. :D

Anyway the walk away point is that our other senses, in this case eyes, can influence what we think we hear even though the sound does not change. In this case something as simple as the color.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
hehehe ... perhaps this is why my entire gear is black, my inner tbone is telling me something.

Well, yeah never know, certain gear, which seemingly draws visual attention to itself, or gear with bright leds, esp colored blue ... arghhh, I'd have a difficult time... :p

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
hehehe ... perhaps this is why my entire gear is black, my inner tbone is telling me something.

Well, yeah never know, certain gear, which seemingly draws visual attention to itself, or gear with bright leds, esp colored blue ... arghhh, I'd have a difficult time... :p

I totally agree. All my gear is black and when I listen it is always in the dark. So no revelation for me

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Made the above red hoping it comes across louder. :D
Red is more effective with cars.

Most of mine is black, too, but I am color-blind.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My main listening room has earth tones--burnt oranges and a lot of browns with a little in the gold range.

I listen with moderate lighting. I don't like a dark room. I find the deep orange and brown earth tones are relaxing.

I never considered that those colors could make the music volume appear to be lower than if higher value, higher chroma colors were in the room. For me it works out well because the wood and earth tones and elk skull (from 1896 above the boarded up fireplace) transports me back to the old days of the 1800's for listening to string quartets and other chamber music musicians IN my room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing