New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From Magic Johnson to Pat Riley to LeBron James, this Lakers-Heat rivalry runs deep

https://sports.yahoo.com/magic-johnson-pat-riley-lebron-013822885.html
Nice read. And I do remember that night Riley and the Lakers won their 2nd title against the Celtics in 1987. He said during the celebration - I guarantee you, that we will be here doing the same thing next year. They beat the Pistons next year, and in the celebration, Jabbar was jokingly gagging Riley's mouth with a towel. A Riley-run team always have tough defense. Lakers against the Bad Boys, how else can you win but with tough D. Knicks in the 90s. The Mason-Oakley mini bad boys tandem. The Miami teams, 3 eras, including this one. Anchored on an aptly named BAM. :)

Reactions: christoph

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the record. At the 4:00 mark, Brian said that Lebron prodded Riley twice to replace Spo. Good to know Brian is throwing a flag there for a 10 yard penalty. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reactions: christoph and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Steve Williams

FWIW I believe this will be a close and tightly fought series in which Miami has more weapons than the Lakers
Bam
Robinson
Herro
to name but a few

So may the best team win. If the Heat win IMO it will be one of the greatest upsets of all times (think Bucks)

Steve Williams

Obviously for me the greatest result would be a Lakers victory this year, the biggest reason to memorialize the death of Kobe and also to see Jeannie follow in her father's footsteps and take home the trophy

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
FWIW I believe this will be a close and tightly fought series in which Miami has more weapons than the Lakers
Bam
Robinson
Herro
to name but a few

So may the best team win. If the Heat win IMO it will be one of the greatest upsets of all times (think Bucks)
Agree, Steve. And I believe Miami must play perfect game execution to win each game. They cannot go trailing big like the first 2 games against the Celtics and expect to win. That was what Denver learned. You can't come back easily against the Lakers. If the Heat can limit Rondo's and Howard's points it will be good sign for them.

Steve Williams

well we will know very soon if this proves to be the biggest upset of all time and rather than having the name "one" etched on the win, it rather has the word "redemption" on the mouths of Sports and Riley

I really believe that LeBron wants to win this one for the memory of Kobe who was one of his idols. When he is locked in and focused he is difficult to beat as we saw in the final game against the Nuggs when he took over in the final few minutes and locked in the win

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
well we will know very soon if this proves to be the biggest upset of all time and rather than having the name "one" etched on the win, it rather has the word "redemption" on the mouths of Sports and Riley

I really believe that LeBron wants to win this one for the memory of Kobe who was one of his idols. When he is locked in and focused he is difficult to beat as we saw in the final game against the Nuggs when he took over in the final few minutes and locked in the win

Praise for the carpetbagger?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
There was an article yesterday on The Athletic web site discussing the Clippers decision to let Doc Rivers go. It was written by their Clippers beat writer Jovan Buha.

Doc was always known as a players coach and he favored Kawhi and PG - to the consternation of the other team members. While the rest of the league thought the Clippers had the best team on paper, Doc claimed that there were holes in the roster that led to the up and down nature of the team's performance. There was also an internal management debate about the playing time allocation between Zubac and Montrezl. Doc played Montrezl more when team executives wanted more time for Zubac.

From the article -

"Following the Clippers’ premature postseason ouster, Rivers and Clippers owner Steve Ballmer held several candid meetings and conversations, league sources said.

They discussed where things went wrong for the Clippers in the playoffs and forecasted their visions of the organization’s future, including the team’s style of play, the makeup of the roster, player development and on- and off-court leadership.

After hours of back-and-forth, the sides concluded they had differing visions of the team’s path forward, leading to the mutual decision to separate after seven seasons together, league sources said.

From Rivers’ perspective, the Clippers’ roster was flawed, and he tried to make the best of a less-than-ideal situation. From the Clippers’ perspective, the team’s overwhelming status as the league’s championship favorites made their second-round collapse inexcusable, and was more of an indictment of Rivers’ coaching than the players’ performances.

Noise surrounding Rivers’ departure began to pick up about 24 hours ahead of his eventual departure. Still, the news shocked Clipper staffers, as well as rival league personnel. The prior chatter around the NBA was that Rivers, who joined the Clippers in 2013 and had two years left on his deal, would be given a shot at redemption next season.

The Clippers thoroughly analyzed every angle and variable they could think of before concluding that it was best to move on from Rivers, league sources said."

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: christoph and WLVCA

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Iggy will be on track for his 4th ring, just like LeBron, whose 2 rings have asterisks. :p

Reactions: christoph and WLVCA

Steve Williams

There was an article yesterday on The Athletic web site discussing the Clippers decision to let Doc Rivers go. It was written by their Clippers beat writer Jovan Buha.

Doc was always known as a players coach and he favored Kawhi and PG - to the consternation of the other team members. While the rest of the league thought the Clippers had the best team on paper, Doc claimed that there were holes in the roster that led to the up and down nature of the team's performance. There was also an internal management debate about the playing time allocation between Zubac and Montrezl. Doc played Montrezl more when team executives wanted more time for Zubac.

From the article -

"Following the Clippers’ premature postseason ouster, Rivers and Clippers owner Steve Ballmer held several candid meetings and conversations, league sources said.

They discussed where things went wrong for the Clippers in the playoffs and forecasted their visions of the organization’s future, including the team’s style of play, the makeup of the roster, player development and on- and off-court leadership.

After hours of back-and-forth, the sides concluded they had differing visions of the team’s path forward, leading to the mutual decision to separate after seven seasons together, league sources said.

From Rivers’ perspective, the Clippers’ roster was flawed, and he tried to make the best of a less-than-ideal situation. From the Clippers’ perspective, the team’s overwhelming status as the league’s championship favorites made their second-round collapse inexcusable, and was more of an indictment of Rivers’ coaching than the players’ performances.

Noise surrounding Rivers’ departure began to pick up about 24 hours ahead of his eventual departure. Still, the news shocked Clipper staffers, as well as rival league personnel. The prior chatter around the NBA was that Rivers, who joined the Clippers in 2013 and had two years left on his deal, would be given a shot at redemption next season.

The Clippers thoroughly analyzed every angle and variable they could think of before concluding that it was best to move on from Rivers, league sources said."

You can be sure it was Ballmer who sat quiet as he listened to Docs vision of the next few years and it was his way of saying they had differing opinions and had a parting of the ways

Steve Williams

This one is for Phil as I almost fell off my chair

Watching the pre game predictions, Paul Pierce is calling the Lakers in 4 . Everyone else says Lakers in 6

I always felt statistics are for losers. This is going to be a rumble

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This one is for Phil as I almost fell off my chair

Watching the pre game predictions, Paul Pierce is calling the Lakers in 4 . Everyone else says Lakers in 6

I always felt statistics are for losers. This is going to be a rumble
Paul, shall we say, is off the charts, Steve. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing