New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The new season is about to open in less than a month and pre-season starts within 1 week. All eyes apparently on the James-Kyrie-Love troika. The Spurs is intact. And all others are trying to find the right mix.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Now that the preseason is underway have to say that the Clippers are off to an inauspicious start as they are 0 - 3 so far, even losing to the Jazz last night. Hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Biggest addition for the Clippers in the offseason was a new owner - Steve Ballmer. :)

Biggest player addition was Spencer Hawes, a three point shooting seven footer and the backup big man the Clippers needed.

Clippers still weak at SF.

Western Conference looks tough again this year.

I am ready for the real games to begin!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll be looking forward to seeing how Spo will transform the Heat now with Bosh as first option.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
NBA to test 44-minute game, 4 shorter than normal
By BRIAN MAHONEY (AP Basketball Writer) 12 hours ago AP - Sports

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA is going to evaluate if a shorter game could be a better one.
Related Stories

NBA experiment: 44-minute game during preseason Comcast SportsNet Mid Atlantic
NBA to experiment with shorter 44-minute game Reuters
Time out - NBA to experiment with shorter game AFP
Celtics, Nets to play unprecedented 44-minute game Sunday SB Nation
NBA to test 44-minute game during Nets-Celtics preseason matchup NBC Sports

The Brooklyn Nets and Boston Celtics will play a 44-minute preseason game on Sunday as the league tests a format that features fewer minutes and fewer mandatory timeouts.

The contest will be four minutes shorter than the NBA's standard 48-minute game. The league said Tuesday that the preseason game will feature four 11-minute quarters, one minute shorter than normal.

Acting on a suggestion by coaches to tighten up the games, the league will use the matchup at Barclays Center to examine if the shorter model flows better.

No long-term changes are currently being considered, but shorter games could be a way to keep players healthier, since there are no plans to shorten the season.

''At our recent coaches' meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format,'' Rod Thorn, the NBA's president of basketball operations, said in a statement. ''After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths.''

There will be two mandatory timeouts per quarter. One will come at the first dead ball under 6:59 of the period if neither team has taken a timeout prior, and the second will be triggered by the first dead ball under 2:59 if neither team has taken a timeout since the first mandatory timeout.

There are three mandatory timeouts in the second and fourth quarters of the 48-minute game.

A 44-minute game would bring the NBA closer to college and international play, where the games are 40 minutes. It also would add up to 328 less minutes over the course of an 82-game season, which would translate to about seven fewer games.

But it would create some challenges for coaches.

''I'm looking forward to gauging its impact on the flow of the game. Since there is a shorter clock, it affects playing time, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays into substitution patterns,'' Nets coach Lionel Hollins said.

Hollins called it a ''unique experiment that was worth participating in,'' and Boston coach Brad Stevens agreed.

''I appreciate the NBA's long history of forward thinking and willingness to try new ideas,'' Stevens said. ''We told the NBA that we'd be happy to participate in this trial during a preseason game. I look forward to experiencing it and continuing the dialogue after Oct. 19.''

The game will be televised live on NBA TV.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Now that the preseason is underway have to say that the Clippers are off to an inauspicious start as they are 0 - 3 so far, even losing to the Jazz last night. Hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Biggest addition for the Clippers in the offseason was a new owner - Steve Ballmer. :)

Biggest player addition was Spencer Hawes, a three point shooting seven footer and the backup big man the Clippers needed.

Clippers still weak at SF.

Western Conference looks tough again this year.

I am ready for the real games to begin!

This should be an interesting season. Can the Spurs repeat, for the first time? Can the Pacers recover from last year's midterm meltdown and still be in the Eastern Finals? Will D.Rose ever be the same pre-injury Rose? Will the Cavs enter the NBA Finals? Clippers should be ok come regular season, and the West is strong as usual, GS, Portland, Dallas, Houston, etc. all fast and furious teams. In the meantime, I don't have any questions for my Celtics. they are still waiting for their draft picks to break out. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll be looking forward to seeing how Spo will transform the Heat now with Bosh as first option.

As of now, like the Clippers, Heat is winless. :D No love lost for a Wade bannered team for this guy. :D But who knows, with Spo's system, the Heat can be in the Eastern Finals with the Cavs. And that would be a dramatic match, if not a dream match.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With one of the Pacer's top rebounders gone and the other, who also happens to be the top scorer and top wing defender, out for the season, I'll be surprised if they get into the playoffs at all. :(

I think the team to watch this year is Dallas.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the team to watch this year is Dallas.

Yes! With Dirk, Tyson Chandler, Monta Ellis, Felton, Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, plus additions of Jameer Nelson and Villanueva. That is one heck of a team. And given that Rick is a champion coach. Not to mention Dallas is the nemesis of the Spurs in the past few years, giving them matchup problems, or what we call 'contrapelo' in our native language.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The Cavaliers will be interesting to watch this year. David Blatt has a lot of talent to work with and I wonder how he will blend European style basketball and the NBA style. LeBron, Love and Kyrie Irving - that a very powerful Big 3.

I rooted for the Cavs when I was a kid since I grew up in Ohio and went to school not too far from Cleveland.

Mavs definitely look interesting so we'll see what they can do. Would be a good story if Villanueva can redeem himself.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
C,mom guys, it's pick time. Clips/Bulls final, Bulls win. D Rose out, flip that to Clips/Cavs, Clips win.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Those are some bold but not impossible predictions

Gotta go homey with the Bulls, but I think healthy, they can beat the Cavs this yr. I thought Clips would come out of the West last yr. Without a couple of inexplicable CP3 gaffes, they might have and now they've got a year of playing under Doc together to move forward from.

You're picks Steve?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gotta go homey with the Bulls, but I think healthy, they can beat the Cavs this yr. I thought Clips would come out of the West last yr. Without a couple of inexplicable CP3 gaffes, they might have and now they've got a year of playing under Doc together to move forward from.

You're picks Steve?

I think the Clipps are in the top 3 in the West. They have sure stacked their bench. Not sure if they're ready for prime time but you never know.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think the Clipps are in the top 3 in the West. They have sure stacked their bench. Not sure if they're ready for prime time but you never know.

Would love to see a Clips/GS WCF.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think GS matches up well vs the Clipps

It would be a good series

So everyone figuring adios Spurs and Thunder but giddyup Mavericks. I really haven't picked anyone from the east

I think a better East CF would be Cavs vs Heat

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm still not sold yet on the Bulls

If they stay healthy, I'm upbeat on their prospects. More talent than anytime this decade, particularly if either Mirotic or McDermott emerge. Both have scoring talent.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I need to look at some more pre-season games before making any predictions.I do know however that the Cavs won't be NBA Champions this year. Team chemistry is not yet set, Coach is unproven ... Next year maybe a different scenario.

I wouldn't write off OKC, they have had plenty of time to lick their wounds and to be hungry and angry .. Durant is the real deal IMO...There is a lot of love for the Clippers. I remain skeptical, they have the Warriors a very dangerous team in their path of course the returning champions the Spurs .. SA is the team to beat in the West, they have a proven and efficient system. it simply works and the NBA has not yet found an answer for it.

In the East The Cavs are the favorite of course... Yet, the Pacers are apparently the same team they were last year .. A year older and more mature ... Let's watch them... Too much hope on the Bulls I think, wait till they play or let's see if D Rose can last a full season ... if he goes down so will the Bulls... And there are the Atlanta Hawks and there are the Detroit Pistons (yes them :) ). The East is not a given for the Cavs they must go through some serious competition.

After the preseason i will predict

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hi

I need to look at some more pre-season games before making any predictions.I do know however that the Cavs won't be NBA Champions this year. Team chemistry is not yet set, Coach is unproven ... Next year maybe a different scenario.

I wouldn't write off OKC, they have had plenty of time to lick their wounds and to be hungry and angry .. Durant is the real deal IMO...There is a lot of love for the Clippers. I remain skeptical, they have the Warriors a very dangerous team in their path of course the returning champions the Spurs .. SA is the team to beat in the West, they have a proven and efficient system. it simply works and the NBA has not yet found an answer for it.

In the East The Cavs are the favorite of course... Yet, the Pacers are apparently the same team they were last year .. A year older and more mature ... Let's watch them... Too much hope on the Bulls I think, wait till they play or let's see if D Rose can last a full season ... if he goes down so will the Bulls... And there are the Atlanta Hawks and there are the Detroit Pistons (yes them :) ). The East is not a given for the Cavs they must go through some serious competition.

After the preseason i will predict

I think Durant is a tremendous player but see the same probs as last year: poorly coached offense and not enough talent. It's not Durant, but rather a stagnant organization. I think a sleeper rookie may be Mithc McGary though.

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, Steve Kerr does differently at GS. Thought the Bogut injury really killed them in the post-season and they still almost got to the conf finals.

Spencer Hawes is a good pickup by the Clips.

Frantz -- did you miss that Paul George is out for the season?

Wish I lived on the west coast to catch all the great match ups out there. 10:30 ET game start doesn't mix with 'job'.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing