New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Red Auerbach had some quite unusual techniques.

He thought he was being clever.

I think the rest of the NBA thought he was engaging in unfair practices.

Some went so far as to accuse Red of cheating. ;)

Reminds me a bit of Tom Brady and William Stephen Belichick.

Phil Jackson employed some unusual techniques but I don' t recall him being accused of cheating.

Now a Celtics fan may view that differently. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Red Auerbach had some quite unusual techniques.

He thought he was being clever.

I think the rest of the NBA thought he was engaging in unfair practices.

Some went so far as to accuse Red of cheating. ;)

Reminds me a bit of Tom Brady and William Stephen Belichick.

Phil Jackson employed some unusual techniques but I don' t recall him being accused of cheating.

Now a Celtics fan may view that differently. :)

True. :)

But having posed with his statue in Boston, I see him only as sly. :D As in drafting Bird even though he was committed to play his senior year. by doing that, Red risked losing Bird's Draft rights if he didn't sign within a set date the next year. So 5 teams passed Bird but Red took him with the 6th pick and gambled. The rest is history, with 3 more rings from Bird. :)

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Better compare the Patriots to Microsoft . Not only do they cheat but they get help from those seek their favor.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thibs was on the Dan Patrick show this morning. Never heard him sound so excited before.

Guess that's what happens when you just fleeced the Bulls team that fired you as head coach and added Jimmy Butler to your Timberwolves roster.

The Bulls management has to be among the worst in the NBA, challenging the Knicks and Kings for biggest knuckleheads.

Let's see how it plays out. The Bulls were stuck for a few years as a .500 team with middle first round picks -- in other words, nowhere. The finally pulled the plug on the remodel and went for a gut rehab; the right move I think.

Trading your best player (a top 15 guy) is tough; you're likely going to get back less-good-at-the-moment players. I love Butler, but he's not a tier one star. The Bulls will likely have highesh lottery picks for the next couple years in addition to three guys who could develop into all stars. Thibodeau notoriously doesn't like to play rookies -- let's see how Dunn develops. And what's he going to say about the trade anyway? Levine is an elite athlete who improved his shooting and was on his way to being a top SG -- guys do come back from knee surgery these days. We'll see about Markinnen, but he's the kind of player the league favors these days.

Unfortunately the Prokofiev Nets aren't around to fleece as Ainge did. That said, I wonder if they could have held onto the sixteenth pick if Thibideau wanted Butler so badly. Painful as the Bulls may be this fall, I like and understand where they are now better than where they would be pre-trade. The next couple of years puts responsibility directly on management for talent evaluation and the coaching staff for player development.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Interesting observations about the Bulls. Sometimes it is time to move forward with different players.

Clippers are facing similar circumstances with Blake and CP3. I wouldn't object if the Clippers went in a different direction.

Those two guys helped make the Clippers respectable but the team is stuck in place and can't move past the 1st or 2nd round in the playoffs.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Apparently the Rockets are interested in Chris Paul.

Not sure how that would work. Both CP3 and James are ball dominant. Both are bull headed. Don't think they would work well together.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Not sure how that would work. Both CP3 and James are ball dominant. Both are bull headed. Don't think they would work well together.

My guess is that D'Antoni thinks he can get them to work together. He's a guard coach, but yeah, tough to see it.

Clips seem at the point where it's nuts to do the same thing again. Need some new energy if nothing else.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Opting out does necessarily mean you are leaving. They (Paul amd Griffin)worked for cheapest owner in NBA.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Hard to see that combo work too. Houston is an aggressive organization. They have championship pedigree. But the problem is, after all is said and done, it's still hard to imagine a D'Antoni team winning the title.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While the basketball world awaits Free Agency on July 1, I'm filling the void watching videos of great stars before my time. Here, The Wilt Chamberlain Archive. I've never seen most of these scenes before - Wilt doing long jump, high jump, and the reverse sit up on a bench, utterly jaw dropping. If I were a competitor at that time, I'd consider throwing in the towel even before stepping on the floor with him. :D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
While the basketball world awaits Free Agency on July 1, I'm filling the void watching videos of great stars before my time. Here, The Wilt Chamberlain Archive. I've never seen most of these scenes before - Wilt doing long jump, high jump, and the reverse sit up on a bench, utterly jaw dropping. If I were a competitor at that time, I'd consider throwing in the towel even before stepping on the floor with him. :D

With a bit of perspective, the best ever , the real GOAT... Imagine for a second this man with today's training techniques and tools. He could play Point Guard with that type of body control. There hasn't been anyone better since. Perhaps the Greek freak may one day get to that level. he is the only one so far with that kind of skill sets or perhaps KD but neither is remotely as strong.. No one in the NBA is as athletic as Wilt was...

Wow! Led the league once in Points, rebounds and assists!!!!

read and be astonished how great he really was:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1088946-five-more-amazing-wilt-accomplishments

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With a bit of perspective, the best ever , the real GOAT... Imagine for a second this man with today's training techniques and tools. He could play Point Guard with that type of body control. There hasn't been anyone better since. Perhaps the Greek freak may one day get to that level. he is the only one so far with that kind of skill sets or perhaps KD but neither is remotely as strong.. No one in the NBA is as athletic as Wilt was...

Wow! Led the league once in Points, rebounds and assists!!!!

read and be astonished how great he really was:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1088946-five-more-amazing-wilt-accomplishments

As I grew up watching Lew Alcindor (KAJ) games in the early 70s, it is him who I would say I'm in 'awe' when watching basketball on TV. That was because Wilt was about to retire though I did see Wilt in his title last few years in LA. But Jabbar, with that menacing sideburns, and that mean, serious look when he shoots and makes a shot, really was THE main man for me, though I was a Celtics fan then. Well, making a movie with another great, Bruce Lee, helped bring his aura to an even higher level for me. :) But yes, just watching Wilt's archives, and stats, make me think he is the Greatest Basketball Player of All Time, and shall I say, pound for pound.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I know that a lot of longtime fans and sportswriters consider Wilt the best.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I was happy that Mike D'Antoni won the Coach of the Year Award. Loved to watch his Phoenix teams and thought he got a raw deal in NY and LA.

I thought Brad Stevens should have been nominated as well. He has done a great job with the Celtics.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Westbrook bagged his first MVP. He played a hell of a regular season and I lost count of his triple doubles. Very well deserved, I feel. That will increase the pressure on the OKC top brass to add more talent around him.

A funny scene of the MVP night was when the lifetime award was presented to Bill Russell wherein 5 centers came up the stage to give him the award - Shaq, Mutombo, Mourning, David Robinson, and Kareem. Surprising the 5 big guys, Russell pointed a finger to each of the 5, then said: "I would kick your ass." :D :D

Back to the FA action, Woj is saying that the C's really want to bag Hayward AND then sign PG13 to an extension. I like that.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/video/woj-report-celtics-working-land-212525975.html

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Woj is by far the most reliable NBA reporter so I believe him when he speaks.

If anybody has the tools to sign Hayward and PG13 it is Ainge and the Celtics.

Maybe he will finally open his tool bag and start using his mountain of assets to make the big moves.

Edit - I forgot to mention that Ainge said his primary objective was to get LeBron James in a Celtics uniform....

....just kidding! :cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Woj is by far the most reliable NBA reporter so I believe him when he speaks.

If anybody has the tools to sign Hayward and PG13 it is Ainge and the Celtics.

Maybe he will finally open his tool bag and start using his mountain of assets to make the big moves.

Edit - I forgot to mention that Ainge said his primary objective was to get LeBron James in a Celtics uniform....

....just kidding! :cool:

Haha! And I'll be wearing his 23 jersey in GREEN! Double Just Kidding. LOL Man will live in Mars before that happens to me. :D

Talking bout the non-nuclear or non-toxic assets of Ainge. He's got THREE second rounders from last week's draft and TWO first rounders from last year's draft whom he sent overseas to play. And IINM he has SEVEN first rounders in the next 2 years! Now, he can easily give half of them to the Pacers as long as they talk George into signing an extension. :D Then it will be a very good season for the Celtics. :) Fingers crossed.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is a bit funny. Being a Celtics fan, I won't fault Pierce for his thoughts. But I get a kick out of how his reply almost made Rachel Nichols laugh all the way to the floor. :D

Ok, Paul, for you??? Now???

All for fun, right, Paul? :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing