New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rondo reported will go to the Kings in a 1 year $10m deal. To jell with fellow hothead DeMarcus Cousins. :D George Karl must be wincing nowadays.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Blatt is in. :D And maybe he's the kind of coach that LeBron needs - the type he can shove around.

David Blatt Boldly Predicts Cavs Championship, Compares LeBron to Moses
By Dan Favale , Featured Columnist Jul 3, 2015

David Blatt wants you know two things: The Cleveland Cavaliers are going to win the 2016 NBA title, and LeBron James is a basketball prophet.

Allow me to explain.

While at a business conference in Israel, the Cavaliers head coach decided to hold nothing back when riffing on James' value to Cleveland, per Keith Britton of 92.3 The Fan in Cleveland (h/t Slam Magazine):

This correlation doesn't quite fly, as Bleacher Report's Adam Fromal notes:

When he was done comparing James to a prominent figure in Abrahamic religions, Blatt then decided to sneak in a championship prediction:

This is something we can work with, and it's not at all unreasonable.

The Cavaliers finished two victories shy of a title this past season, and they came that close while playing at less than full strength. They lost Kevin Love in Game 4 of Round 1, while Kyrie Irving left the floor for good in the closing minutes of Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

If the Cavaliers are able to contend with a historically good Golden State Warriors squad when James is on his own, just think of what they could do with actual help.

Especially when that help is on the way.

Or rather, on its way back.

Irving was already locked up for the next half-decade and should be good to go by next season. Love is now in the same boat after agreeing to a five-year max deal to stay in Cleveland, which he announced himself via the Players' Tribune. And his return cannot be understated.

At its core, Love's decision to remain in Cleveland is, as CBS Sports' Matt Moore points out, a commitment to winning at any personal cost:

Tristan Thompson, a restricted free agent, probably isn't going anywhere either.

Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com reports that contract talks have stalled between the restricted free agent and Cleveland, but as Windhorst and colleague Marc Stein previously noted, the Cavaliers seem likely to relent and give Thompson a deal worth more than $80 million.

So it looks like the band will stay together—the same band that, according to NBA.com, maintained the league's third-best net rating once Moses James returned from his two-week sabbatical in mid-January.

Andrew D. Bernstein/Getty Images
Don't worry, Blatt's not out of his mind. He's just super confident.

Comparing James to Moses is admittedly, um, odd. But everyone speaks in hyperbole from time to time, and Blatt was only trying to convey, albeit in politically incorrect fashion, James' peerless value to the Cavaliers. He's irreplaceable to their championship hopes, and Blatt just wants us to know it.

Really, there's nothing wrong with what Blatt said. Any of it. Especially the whole guaranteeing-a-championship thing.

It's easy to argue, even downright believe, the Cavaliers will finish next season hoisting the Larry O'Brien Trophy because that's exactly what they're capable of doing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ts-cavs-championship-compares-lebron-to-moses

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Aldridge to the Spurs. His best bet for a ring, imo. This should shake up James and his pool buddy Love. And Spurs not done yet, chasing David West. Blatt's prophecy is in danger. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
It took Moses 40 years to lead the Jews to the promised land - hope LeBron takes a shorter route! ;)

Could take the Clippers even longer at this point!!!!! Pull a rabbit out of your hat, Doc!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm rooting for the other teams, where James is not in. :D I'll be severely put to the test if the Lakers show up, but as of now, they and us are in the same boat, drafting picks and getting cold shoulders from big name free agents. :D

The game has evolved into a 'can shoot' game. Draymond Green can shoot, Barnes can shoot. Iggy can shoot, and of course the splash brothers can shoot. When normalcy sets it, want to play at low octane, send in your lumbering big body. :D It would be really interesting if next Western playoffs pit the Spurs and the Warriors, who are virtually intact, and in fact, in a display of 'embarrassment of riches' are trying to trade away David Lee's last year salary worth $15m to any takers (I read a fanblog with the name Gerald Wallace). Clippers I read, is talking to Javale McGee, who is somewhat of a DeAndre type that needs polishing. This is going to be an exciting off-season.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Boy what a change from the Dream Team 3 era where the league was populated by flashy street ballers like Iverson and a whole bunch of bricklayers.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Really trying to beef up their lineup.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13202763/cleveland-cavaliers-interested-joe-johnson-brooklyn-nets

Sources: Cavs considering trade for Joe Johnson of Nets

The Cleveland Cavaliers are considering trading for Brooklyn Nets star Joe Johnson with their Brendan Haywood contract chip, sources told ESPN.com.
Joe Johnson has hefty salary in 2015-16

Only Kobe Bryant is slated to make more this upcoming season than Joe Johnson, who's on the the last year of the six-year, $120 million contract he signed with the Nets in the summer of 2010.
Highest-paid players in 2015-16
Player Salary
Kobe Bryant $25.0M
Joe Johnson $24.9M
Carmelo Anthony $22.9M
Dwight Howard $22.4M
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Haywood has a $10.5 million nonguaranteed contract if waived before Aug. 1, an asset that has gained value over the last several days as other teams use up their cap space. The Cavs have been looking for perimeter help, and Johnson would certainly provide a major boost as an additional scoring and shooting option.

The Nets are actively looking to move Johnson to reduce their tax burden this upcoming season as they are facing paying the repeater tax, which would be the most punitive luxury penalty in league history. The Nets have held talks with several teams, including the Memphis Grizzlies, sources told ESPN's Marc Stein.

Johnson, who averaged 14.4 points and shot 44 percent last season, is the second-highest-paid player in the league at $24.8 million next season. Trading for and waiving Haywood could save the Nets tens of millions in tax payments, but it would take more than just Haywood to make the contract values match in a deal between the Cavs and Nets.
Joe Johnson could end up joining LeBron James in Cleveland as the Cavaliers, according to sources, are exploring a trade for the Nets swingman. Adam Hunger/USA TODAY Sports

One possible option for the Cavs would be sending big man Anderson Varejao to the Nets in such a deal. Varejao will make $9.6 million this upcoming season as part of an extension he signed last year. Varejao suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon in December but is on track to return by the start of the season.

The possibility of moving Varejao, who has played his entire 11-year career with the Cavs, could be behind the Cavs' interest in free-agent forward David West over the last several days. West has indicated he wants to play for a Finals contender, and the Cavs have been attempting to recruit him, sources said.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The game has really changed IMO ever since Wade drafted Bosch and James to Miami and won 2 Finals. Now it seems LeBron is doing the recruiting and the owners be damned.. Plus in 2016 it changes even more with the new cap rules. Every team will be a contender

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The game has really changed IMO ever since Wade drafted Bosch and James to Miami and won 2 Finals. Now it seems LeBron is doing the recruiting and the owners be damned.. Plus in 2016 it changes even more with the new cap rules. Every team will be a contender

That's true, Steve. A player of James' stature today commands that kind of an attention from the owner. I recall last year he wanted his snipers Mike Miller and James Jones to come to Cleveland and it was done. These days it is said he will sign only when Tristan Thompson is signed. Does he really have another place to go? Next year the FA madness will be on Kevin Durant.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How about this Phil

Lakers pick up Brandon Bass from the Celtics. What do you know about him

Well, Steve, Bass is a straight up jump shooter. Doesn't take bad shots. But kinda one dimensional to me. Not fast nor powerful at his position but should be able to produce some points in some minutes. I read too man mountain Roy of the Pacers is about to be shipped to the Lakers too.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And a supposed better grab by the Lakers - Lou Williams of the Raptors, who was the 6th Man of the Year last season but who, I read, is a trigger happy guy.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
David West is signing in with the Spurs for a veteran's mininum of $1.5m, turning down his $12m last year option with the Pacers. Wow for the Spurs, and wow, what a sacrifice for a projected ring. Ginobili is returning. Spurs are blazing.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Celtics pick up David Lee from the Warriors by giving up Gerald Wallace.

Nice pick-up for the Celts.

Steve Williams

was Lee a FA?

I'm surprised he went from a big name on the team to a no body on the team. I always thought he had a good 3 point shot.

Everyone this year seems to be trying to beef up on the "bigs" (e.g. Spurs). I don't believe that will will stop the Warriors who kill teams with their speed and finesse shooting

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
was Lee a FA?

I'm surprised he went from a big name on the team to a no body on the team. I always thought he had a good 3 point shot.

Everyone this year seems to be trying to beef up on the "bigs" (e.g. Spurs). I don't believe that will will stop the Warriors who kill teams with their speed and finesse shooting

One area of weakness of the Warriors IMO is rebounding. When the 3's are not falling you need to rebound and trhe Warriors were getting killed on the board against Cleveland ... The Warriors are a very good team no doubt and deserved to win the Finals but do rememebr that the Grizzlies did give them a lot of problems and one has to wonder how the series would have gone with K. Love and K. Irving able to play ...

Steve Williams

One area of weakness of the Warriors IMO is rebounding. When the 3's are not falling you need to rebound and trhe Warriors were getting killed on the board against Cleveland ... The Warriors are a very good team no doubt and deserved to win the Finals but do rememebr that the Grizzlies did give them a lot of problems and one has to wonder how the series would have gone with K. Love and K. Irving able to play ...

I can't disagree but any game will always be a matter of "what ifs" in the finals and a team has to play with what it has

As I see it the Warriors just had a better bench than anyone else

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
was Lee a FA?

Lee had 1 year left on his deal at around $15 million. They signed Draymond Green to a new deal and couldn't afford both contracts so the Celts picked up a nice player giving up almost nothing.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Celtics pick up David Lee from the Warriors by giving up Gerald Wallace.

Nice pick-up for the Celts.

Finally, one good news to wake up to. Dealing Danny made a positive move. To me, Wallace is not that bad, Brad Stevens' system just does not have space for a player like him. And Lee, I'm happy to see him land in Beantown. Hard working player and a good pro attitude.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing