New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
While waiting for pre season to begin, these kinds of talk shows, specially with Stephen A, are hilarious. He's gets so hyped up by LaVar that the usually boisterous Max K kept quiet. :D

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I am not a fan of the shouting shows like First Take as well as Skip and Shannon on Fox Sports.

I make it a point to never watch First Take now since Max Kellerman became Stephen A Smith's partner.
Kellerman had a local show in LA on KSPN/710AM. That station broadcast the Lakers games and Kellerman was a Laker homer and was always bashing the Clippers. Didn't like Max then and don't like him now.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Small bit of news: Bulls hire Doug Collins as an advisor. He certainly knows the game as well as anyone.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Small bit of news: Bulls hire Doug Collins as an advisor. He certainly knows the game as well as anyone.

I ray of light there for the Bulls.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
It will be interesting to watch Carmelo this year. I have not thought highly of him in the past. Playing with Westbrook and Paul George will give no excuses and many opportunities to shine.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It will be interesting to watch Carmelo this year. I have not thought highly of him in the past. Playing with Westbrook and Paul George will give no excuses and many opportunities to shine.

True, no excuses. And imagine RW at 31ppg, PG at 24ppg, and Melo at 22 ppg. That's a lot of firepower.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

You guys seemed hyped on melo. For me.....meh

and how about this Phil from the article you linked. Is he really worth that amount of money?

The Thunder made a huge commitment with the Anthony deal, incurring $27.8 million in luxury tax for the 2017-18 season. The Thunder payroll will rise to $134 million this season. Anthony has two years, $54 million left on his contract, including a player option for $27.9 million in 2018-19.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
and how about this Phil from the article you linked. Is he really worth that amount of money?

The Thunder made a huge commitment with the Anthony deal, incurring $27.8 million in luxury tax for the 2017-18 season. The Thunder payroll will rise to $134 million this season. Anthony has two years, $54 million left on his contract, including a player option for $27.9 million in 2018-19.

I just checked and with just 4 players alone, including Adams, the total salaries of these 4 is already $90m with the cap at $99m. And they talked about OKC being a 'small market' as the reason they couldn't hold on to Harden when KD and Russell were there. I think the revenues of NBA teams have shot up these past few years. I was impressed with Melo in his first few years with Denver but after that, he's just a 20 something point producer and nothing else.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I actually like Melo problem is he plays good defense but only as a 4. If that's where he ends up they should be pretty good. The perimeter defense should be stifling with RW,PG and Roberson with a backstop like Adams.

Still the deal is weird. They can't keep them from a business standpoint so what's the point?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I actually like Melo problem is he plays good defense but only as a 4. If that's where he ends up they should be pretty good. The perimeter defense should be stifling with RW,PG and Roberson with a backstop like Adams.

Still the deal is weird. They can't keep them from a business standpoint so what's the point?
He isn't exactly what we call a passer or a play maker

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He isn't exactly what we call a passer or a play maker

If he plays a role similar to that which he plays in USA Basketball, he should be fine. Question is can their coach get these guys into an efficient system? I think they are all versatile enough. The wildcard I think is Andre Roberson. He can defend 1 to 4 even better than PG. Unfortunately so far he isn't a scoring threat. If he develops a respectable shot, watch out Houston. IMO this elevates them to 3rd spot in the west behind GS and SA. With somebody like PG to share lockdown duties with, Roberson should have more energy for cuts and curls. I'm ok leaving Melo to find his catch and shoot spots and occasional post up opportunities.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I guess we have seen the end of big names signings and transfers. About 3 more weeks and we will have the opening night of the new season, which promises to be a very exciting and interesting one. With Wade joining the Cavs, that makes them even better, along with DRose, and hopefully a healthy IT, teaming up with old guards JR and Iman. They have the bench and the experience. The West is going to be very very interesting. Houston and OKC both added new stars and team chemistry will have to be formed. And I can't wait to see how this year's top draft picks perform.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
If he plays a role similar to that which he plays in USA Basketball, he should be fine. Question is can their coach get these guys into an efficient system? I think they are all versatile enough. The wildcard I think is Andre Roberson. He can defend 1 to 4 even better than PG. Unfortunately so far he isn't a scoring threat. If he develops a respectable shot, watch out Houston. IMO this elevates them to 3rd spot in the west behind GS and SA. With somebody like PG to share lockdown duties with, Roberson should have more energy for cuts and curls. I'm ok leaving Melo to find his catch and shoot spots and occasional post up opportunities.

Agreed -- lets see if Donovan can coach. Im not a Melo fan as a leader of a team, but the guy can score anytime, and most importantly, in the fourth quarter.

OKC can sign Westbrook to a supermax deal by 10/16 -- they needed to show a commitment to winning now for a chance to retain him. He doesn't sign, the franchise is done as we know itand they will try to trade him before he runs. I think this partially explains the Melo pickup and the most valuable thing they gave away was likely the second round pick they got from the Bulls. I say kudos to Sam Presti for getting George and Melo. Amazingly too, giving away McDermott and Kanter and getting Melo yields no net loss in D.

What an offseason btw.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing