Phono Stage and Possibly Line Stage Smoked--Replacement Suggestions Wanted

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The good news is that I completed the task of running 10 awg to two duplex floor outlets, which is the hardest part of relocating my electronics. The bad news is my beloved Rowland consummate phono stage had an acrid smell when powered back up yesterday and no longer works! :(

I opened it up and there are definitely a couple smoked resistors, but no idea of the root cause.

I had Rowland repair it a few months ago, and it's been working great until now. I'm a bit concerned, however, that it may not be repairable.

Adding to the sadness, as of this morning the linestage doesn't make music, either, but the display lights up, so the power supply is definitely suspect.

Soooo...I'm contemplating a contingency of a new (to me) preamp and phono stage and would like your guidance.

Requirements:
1. At least as good sound quality as the Consummate
2. Balanced topography
3. Enough quiet gain for my Lyra and Zero carts (0.3 - 0.5 mV--60 dB should be sufficient)
4. Reliable
5. Adjustable loading
6. A way to feed my subwoofers (single-ended outputs that run in parallel with balanced outs work great)

Preferences:
1. Solid state
2. XLR and RCA inputs, ideally at the same time since I hope to have my second arm with a Zero mono cartridge up and running by 1/4
3. <$5k used
4. Remote
5. Ability to run two arms (or possibly a second phono stage if the budget allows)

My system for reference:
Well Tempered Reference TT, Lyra Kleos cartridge with Cardas wiring to RCAs
Pioneer SA-70 tonearm with Miyajima Zero mono cartridge with Jelco balanced tonearm cable
HAL MS-3
Aurender SP-10
Oppo 105 CD player (also acts as my DAC)
Jeff Rowland Consummate phono stage and pre-amp (balanced)
Atma-Sphere M60 OTL amps (balanced)
Zero Autoformers acting as speaker cables
Kef Reference 207/2 speakers
Darwin Truth XLR interconnects
Richard Grey Power Stations and various DIY and other power cables

What should I look for as a potential replacement for the Consummate?

Thanks in advance!

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
One full function preamp with phono stage that you might consider is the Klyne SK7.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
One full function preamp with phono stage that you might consider is the Klyne SK7.

Thanks. I demo'd the Klyne many years ago and liked it, but it was a bit out of my price range back then. I'll keep an eye out.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
If you don't mind acquiring used, I think the Spectral DMC20 can be considered.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
If you don't mind acquiring used, I think the Spectral DMC20 can be considered.

No problem with used. I'll check out the Spectral.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Looks like the Spectral can only handle one phono, but I suppose I can add a second phono stage if I can get a good deal in the pre.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing