Lampizator Komputer Changes

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Is it just my imagination or did the specs change on the Lampizator Komputer?

Here's the current page from the website:
http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/KOMPUTER_-_MUSIC_SERVER.html

From my memory, the previous page said the Lampi Komputer was Windows 2012 based and sounds much more musical than Linux, which tends to sound rather dry/analytical.

Now the new page says the following: "Why Linux? Because Linux does with one hand tied behind the back what the Windows is merely trying to achieve, together with Optimizer, Fidelizer, and even the fabulous Bughead Emperor. Linux is able to match the quality of sound without one hundred problems associated with Windows."

Ken

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, that's a major change. Windows (or MacOS) is too much of a generic, non-customizable thing to be usable for truly high-end results. Linux, being modular by design, is a more sensible choice, and I'm not talking about SQ, just from the technical aspect).

I do understand people end up with great (SQ) results using Windows + specific pieces of software. But I wonder if those particular pieces of software would sound even better running on a more streamlined OS, like Linux. But I also do understand developers wanting to put their apps on the "majority" platforms, and not a niche OS...

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
AFAIK ?ukasz has completely reworked his server. It uses a different motherboard (with i7 CPU, regular DDR3 RAM and HDMI out) and Linux OS. ?ukasz claims it sounds better now.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
AFAIK ?ukasz has completely reworked his server. It uses a different motherboard (with i7 CPU, regular DDR3 RAM and HDMI out) and Linux OS. ?ukasz claims it sounds better now.

Thanks Adam, I really appreciate the update!

Best,
Ken

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Is it just my imagination or did the specs change on the Lampizator Komputer?

Here's the current page from the website:
http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/KOMPUTER_-_MUSIC_SERVER.html

From my memory, the previous page said the Lampi Komputer was Windows 2012 based and sounds much more musical than Linux, which tends to sound rather dry/analytical.

Now the new page says the following: "Why Linux? Because Linux does with one hand tied behind the back what the Windows is merely trying to achieve, together with Optimizer, Fidelizer, and even the fabulous Bughead Emperor. Linux is able to match the quality of sound without one hundred problems associated with Windows."

Ken

That is a 180 degrees turn!
Has he decreased the price of the Komputer accordingly?! :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
That is a 180 degrees turn!
Has he decreased the price of the Komputer accordingly?! :)

If Lukasz says something, it's as good as written in stone. I suppose it wasn't until he realized Linux was superior to Windows for audio that it was actually true. Maybe he's been reading Blizzard's corner :)

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
His page is still not totally updated yet. The bottom half of the page still talks about ASIO drivers.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
His page is still not totally updated yet. The bottom half of the page still talks about ASIO drivers.

I imagine the price will be the last to be updated :)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I feel sorry for the Komputer owners who have bought this product. It is not a small change. This is a completely turnaround. I hope he offers free exchange to current owners.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I feel sorry for the Komputer owners who have bought this product. It is not a small change. This is a completely turnaround. I hope he offers free exchange to current owners.

Welcome to the world of general purpose computers. Can't keep products the same for eternity. Anyone who bought one of these in the first place, won't mind spending the money for a new one every 6 months.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Why should we feel sorry for them? They still own an excellent server and probably will be able to use the new software.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Why should we feel sorry for them? They still own an excellent server and probably will be able to use the new software.

He better makes sure the current owners are able to use the new software because he now claims Linux is much better than Window. Shouldn't he feel obliged to do so considering this product is less than 6 months old. You will never seen any company making such a drastic change in such a short time. He is always rushing products out without full planning.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Price has been reduced from the original 5900eur+TAX to the present 4900eur+TAX.
Good!

One thing that worries me a bit is this Lampizator's claim: "All machines will play 256x DSD with the 256 compatible Lampizator DACs".
This is not possible with Linux OS and his DACs.
So for his 4 month old clients, in terms of pure playback frequency, this is going to be a downgrade.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Price has been reduced from the original 5900eur+TAX to the present 4900eur+TAX.
Good!

One thing that worries me a bit is this Lampizator's claim: "All machines will play 256x DSD with the 256 compatible Lampizator DACs".
So for his 4 month old clients, in terms of pure playback frequency, this is going to be a downgrade.

Someone mentions that Amanero will have new Linux native driver support DSD 256.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Now he can cash in on new computers and USB interfaces for existing clients. This kills 2 birds with 1 stone :) But he will still need a streamer to take things up another notch with HQplayer NAA. But unfortunately this will render the tweaks in the server inaudible.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Good!

I don't think that Lukasz would offer an updated DSD Komputer that doesn't play DSD 256. That's the DSD Komputer's whole raison d'etre, to enable the Lampi Big 7 and GG to play DSD 256.

Ken

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I don't think that Lukasz would offer an updated DSD Komputer that doesn't play DSD 256. That's the DSD Komputer's whole raison d'etre, to enable the Lampi Big 7 and GG to play DSD 256.

Ken

Ken

The computer isn't the issue, it's the USB interfaces in all of his DAC's. They are only DSD 128 over DoP compatible with Linux. But even if he offers a firmware update for the Amanero that enables native DSD capability in Linux, it still won't do anything about the high jitter clocks in the stock Amanero. So really the best solution is a complete new USB interface. Since even the top off the shelf unit's are only 67 Euro's a piece retail, it's a no brainer decision if you ask me.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You can run the new Linux software on the original Xeon / Supermicro version of the Komputer if you wish to do so. That is the whole beauty of PC based servers - you can update the software anytime you want, replace single components etc. I'm not sure why ?ukasz changed to i7 CPU and regular board - the change may be eaqually well price driven, availability driven (I've read somewhere there are problems with Xeon E3-1240lv3 CPUs supply) or performance driven.

?ukasz offered to send me a replacement SSD with the Linux OS to try, but my system is down at the moment, due to the fact I just sold my speakers. I will try it when I get some interim speakers (my new Magicos S5 mk 2 are 3+ months away).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing