The JL Audio CR-1 analog vs TacT digital crossover

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I finally had an opportunity to spend some time with the recommended bass test CD recommended by JL Audio's Barry Ober. First, it is much more than a bass test CD. It is a thorough systems set-up disc with detailed instructions in a very complete and thorough manner (5 pages, double-sided). But for bass? OMG! There are selections on this CD that are jaw dropping. I mean, I thought I knew of a few good bass demo tracks, but I am an amateur compared to what these guys have wrought. The bass selections contain both musical pieces as well as an assortment of sonic spectaculars. However, today I do need to inspect my house foundation for potential cracks:) Not just highly recommended for bass set-up with subs, but essential for any system set-up. It can be found here. This is surely the best 18 bucks I have ever spent for a test CD.
www.soundoctor.com/testcd

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I have had the tact 2.2 .. it has been vastly superseded in terms of utility , room correction , crossover etc by much cheaper products.. MiniDSP make exceptional units that will slay it.

I was a TacT owner for years. The miniDSP room correction ability (Dirac) destroys the TacT room correction. And the ability to delay the signal is part of the solution.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - and I think they have a 30day return policy if you don't like it!! And the cost is a killer $900 !!!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was a TacT owner for years. The miniDSP room correction ability (Dirac) destroys the TacT room correction. And the ability to delay the signal is part of the solution.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - and I think they have a 30day return policy if you don't like it!! And the cost is a killer $900 !!!!!

Don't you have Datasat with Dirac now, how's that going, have you gone Auro 3d yet?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Marty.... do you still have the CR-1?

I have one on order (as well as 2 subs) and will start a long thread about my adventure so far!

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I too have read Barry Ober's website on bass and integrating subwoofers and have found it one of the most understandable explanations I've read. I have the CD, but haven't used it. I'm using both REW and the DSPeaker Dual Core Antimode 2.0 for measurement and DSP room correction. I have also found the miniDSP website to be exceptionally informative. You will also find these articles on FIR & IIR filters useful: (see http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/...se_response_filtering_in_sound_rein/pat-brown and its companion article : http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/a_useful_tool_creating_applying_fir_filters/pat-brown.

After spending many hours on measurements and listening, I believe that if you can smooth the low end frequency response with DSP, through the subs only, (primarily by reducing peaks and keeping group delay below 80 Hz or so to < 40 msec where the ear is less sensitive to it), it doesn't matter if the mains and subs aren't exactly aligned. I really can't hear delay mismatch at these levels. Barry Ober, paraphrasing, says ' You may even like a little delay on the subs as it adds some ambiance'.

Why does all this matter? In my experience, I find running any DSP with the required delay on the mains for time alignment results in an audible reduction in overall transparency due to all the extra circuitry and signal processing you've added. I've even tried a high end linear power supply on the DSP. While that improved the sound, the end resulting loss of immediacy was still too much of tradeoff for time alignment benefits I couldn't hear or appreciate. It's possible miniDSP or Tact is way less opaque than DSPeaker, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Marty.... do you still have the CR-1?

I have one on order (as well as 2 subs) and will start a long thread about my adventure so far!

I already have my CR-1, still waiting for the F113's!

AndyV

Jan 8, 2017
N. Cal
I am fairly certain you can use the phase control on the CR1 to adjust the timing difference between your subs and mains. In my system, the subs (JL IWS) are 3.5' behind my left and right speakers (Magico S3s). (I put them there because they provided the best response in that position.). Sound travels at 1116 ft/s, so it takes 3.13ms. At 80Hz, 3.13ms is .25 cycles, which means a phase angle of 90 degrees. This should provide time alignment and smooth amplitude integration. A more precise way to make this adjustment is to reverse the phase of your speakers, play an 80Hz tone and adjust the phase until you get a null when you listen (or measure with a SPL meter) half way between the speakers and the subs. Then correct the phase of your speakers and you should be good to go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing