PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i would like the resident pass experts here what combo i should get:

-Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp and XP-25 Phono

or

-Pass Labs XP-30 Peeamp and XP-15 Phono

looking for maximum fidelity and value.

That is an interesting question. Each combination is four boxes and would cost about the same, new or used. I own the XP20/25 combination. I directly compared my 20 to a 30 in my system for about five days. I very slightly preferred the 30, thinking it was slightly warmer sounding with denser tonal color. However, my friend once had the 20, then the 30 and now the XS pre. I heard them all in his system and found the XS has a tonal balance that more closely resembles that of the 20. In other words, I think the 20 and the XS have a slightly more neutral tonal balance than the 30 which is warmer sounding. In my system and in my friend's, I prefer the 20/XS tonal balance.

I have not heard the XP15. I had the Xono and upgraded to the XP25. I wrote about the comparison on my virtual system thread, a link to which is in my signature below. The XP25 is quieter and has slightly more resolution that the Xono, but they are very close. I imagine the XP15 is close too, but the 25 has the separate power supply and convenience of front panel controls plus two inputs.

Have you contacted a Pass Labs dealer or company directly? Kent English or Wayne are always good at answering specific questions about their products. I would start there.

One other thing to consider. I don't know what is in the rest of your system, but I have always upgraded my Pass amps before upgrading the preamps or phono stages. I have had many models over the years and having speakers that can always benefit from more power, I have found that upgrading to a bigger Pass amp brought greater improvements to my system than upgrading pre or phono.

Tell us more about your system, music and preferences/biases.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank you for you message Peter, I was hoping you were going to chime in. I've been talking to, and will buy from Reno HiFi, just looking for a few insights from the crew here.

Due to a nice bonus, I'm remaking my system and going a different direction.

Current system:
-Avantgarde Uno
-Hovland HP-100
-Cy Brenneman Tube amps
-Sonorus/Revox 99 reel to reel
-Transrotor Fat Bob
-Ikeda 345 Arm
-Shelter 501

What I'm keeping
-Table and arm will stay the same
-Contemplating changing out the Hovland, thus the questions

What I'm adding:
-Quintessence Stealth
-Pass XA160.5
-Dynavecter XV-1
-Possibility at Pass preamplification rig

Thanks again for the help!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks Bill. I'll be getting the XV-1s, a cartridge I've been eyeing for many moons!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No matter which route you take, be sure to upgrade the throw away Pass umbilical cords to the Revelation Audio Cryogenic Silver DB-25 umbilicals. I did and it takes the XP-20 to another level. I mentioned this on another forum, and a member did the complete upgrade on a Pass XP-30 and XP-25 setup, and is now a big fan. He currently is upgrading his ICs and USB to the Revelation models. I haven't gone that far yet, as I love my Shunyatas.

Last edited:

skolis

Mar 10, 2015
No matter which route you take, be sure to upgrade the throw away Pass umbilical cords to the Revelation Audio Cryogenic Silver DB-25 umbilicals. I did and it takes the XP-20 to another level. I mentioned this on another forum, and a member did the complete upgrade on a Pass XP-3 and XP-25 setup, and is now a big fan. He currently is upgrading his ICs and USB to the Revelation models. I haven't gone that far yet, as I love my Shunyatas.

So, why not Shunyatas for the Pass umbilical?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
They don't make Pass umbilical cables.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Jeffrey,

I had the XP-30 in my system for over a year. First with the XA-100.5 monoblocks and then with the XA-100.8 monoblocks. It is a wonderful sounding preamp. I much preferred its organic musicality to the presentation of the XP-20. The sonics with the XA-100.5 were to die for.

Best,
Ken

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hi Jeffrey,

I had the XP-30 in my system for over a year. First with the XA-100.5 monoblocks and then with the XA-100.8 monoblocks. It is a wonderful sounding preamp. I much preferred its organic musicality to the presentation of the XP-20. The sonics with the XA-100.5 were to die for.

Best,
Ken

Interesting feedback, thanks. I currently have XA100.5's with an XP-20 and have been tinkering with the idea of an XP-30 and maybe the 100/160.8's. May wait on the .8's a bit and see what the xp-30 brings to the .5's over the xp-20.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Interesting feedback, thanks. I currently have XA100.5's with an XP-20 and have been tinkering with the idea of an XP-30 and maybe the 100/160.8's. May wait on the .8's a bit and see what the xp-30 brings to the .5's over the xp-20.

Hi Jimmy,

That sounds like a good plan. But keep in mind, it's all very subjective, it largely depends on what kind of sound you want. The XP-30 sounds very organic, almost tube-like in its presentation, very similar to the XA-100.5. That's why I think they have tremendous synergy together. The XA-100.8 sounds quite a bit different from the XA-100.5 in my opinion. More clear and transparent but less warmth and less tube-like.

Best,
Ken

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Jimmy,

That sounds like a good plan. But keep in mind, it's all very subjective, it largely depends on what kind of sound you want. The XP-30 sounds very organic, almost tube-like in its presentation, very similar to the XA-100.5. That's why I think they have tremendous synergy together. The XA-100.8 sounds quite a bit different from the XA-100.5 in my opinion. More clear and transparent but less warmth and less tube-like.

Best,
Ken

+100....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing